Street Legal Teryx? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Home Media Gallery Register Garage FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle Escrow Advertise

Street Legal Teryx?

This is a discussion on Street Legal Teryx? within the Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions forums, part of the The Garage category; Anyone know how to approach the DMV for a street legal plate on a Teryx in CA, OR or NV?

Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum > The Garage > Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions > Street Legal Teryx?

Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Fresno is on a distinguished road
Default Street Legal Teryx?

Anyone know how to approach the DMV for a street legal plate on a Teryx in CA, OR or NV? Anyone from another state have one?
Fresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
CommanderTalk.com

dieselpowered has disabled reputation

I have one, but for Arizona. I have heard that winning the lotto in California may be easier than getting it street legal

In AZ, you need to have a horn, rearview mirror, lighted license plate bracket, and insurance.

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
dieselpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I see a trip to AZ in my future. You're right about getting a plate in CA, but if you have an out of state plate, they have to honor it.

Can you apply for a plate by mail in AZ or do they have to inspect the vehicle?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
CommanderTalk.com

dieselpowered has disabled reputation

They do not have to inspect the vehicle, however, you will be required to sign stating that you will be installing the required equipment. Also, if you do not have paperwork that shows you paid AZ tax, they may hit you up for that in addition to your registration fees.

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
dieselpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Crowdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
Thanks, I see a trip to AZ in my future. You're right about getting a plate in CA, but if you have an out of state plate, they have to honor it.
Don't get your hopes up. CA does not honor out of state street licensed UTVs.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

HiDesertTeryx is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Can you apply for a plate by mail in AZ or do they have to inspect the vehicle?
Actually they don't have to honor it. Just like if you have a valid license to pull triples through Utah, does not mean you can here.

Highly doubt you will be able to get it signed off as street legal. DMV is really tough to change licensing through once it's been licensed a certain way. One of the requirements from the DMV to license a veh is a "license of origin". meaning something from the mfg saying they built it etc. I know it may seem like it most of the time, but the DMV is not dumb, if ur veh is licensed from the dealer as w/ a green sticker veh, you'll have the burden of proving otherwise.
HiDesertTeryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, I guess if it was easy to do you'd see UTVs all over the streets of Pismo. Wishful thinking on my part.

How is it the guys that use UTVs for farming are allowed to drive on the street in CA?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

waytay is on a distinguished road

I know of 3 newer utvs running around here where i live...guess yo have to do it when it is brand new only way from what I have been told...a company in imperial beach gts it done called smittys I beleive...
waytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

HiDesertTeryx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, I guess if it was easy to do you'd see UTVs all over the streets of Pismo. Wishful thinking on my part.

How is it the guys that use UTVs for farming are allowed to drive on the street in CA?
Typically farming vehicles are "exempt" and can go down rural roads.
HiDesertTeryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
ACP

ACP is on a distinguished road

Actually if the regestration is out of state you would have to bring it down for vin instection to tranfer to AZ, then when you bring it back to CA... well good luck! i'm from sacamento and i'm trying to find anyway to make it "street legal". also i hear if you live within 9 mile of a golf course it might be able to pass. what doesn't allow it to pass is that in the reg. is says off-road. i'm kinda kick'n around the idea of building a rc51 powered fully tubed 4 seater chassis with teryx plastics on it, taking it to the DMV and telling them i build a custom car from "scatch" then they issue a vin and send you though an inspection and off you go. kinda of like would a custom chopper shop would do. you do you guys think?

chris
ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement