Can I use an SMV sign?????? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Home Media Gallery Register Garage FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle Escrow Advertise

Can I use an SMV sign??????

This is a discussion on Can I use an SMV sign?????? within the Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions forums, part of the The Garage category; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Well I am not sure where to ask this so I guess it goes here. Here is the deal.

Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum > The Garage > Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions > Can I use an SMV sign??????

Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

hitman2565 is on a distinguished road
Default Can I use an SMV sign??????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I am not sure where to ask this so I guess it goes here. Here is the deal. I live in Ohio and I bought a Teryx Memorial Day weekend. I went to the BMV this morning to get the state sticker so I can ride on the edge of the road. Well they weren't sure how to handle this situation since there is no title and these have a certificate of ownership. They call some other division and they tell them that UTV's can't get the state sticker and that it CAN'T be driven on the road. So now what does a guy do if he wants to ride on state ground? Can I use an SMV sign and be legal? I was told by 2 Ohio State Patrolman that I could use an SMV sign but we have been having problems with our local Sheriff's Dept. and them telling us we can't drive on or cross the road with ATV's even though we have the state stickers. Thanks for any and ALL input.

All-Purpose Vehicles (APV's), Off-Road Motorcycles, and Snowmobiles
hitman2565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
CommanderTalk.com

dieselpowered has disabled reputation

Wait, I am confused, why do you not have a title on your Teryx? I have a title just as if it were a car or truck?

Being that I do not know your local laws, I cannot comment, but hopefully, someone will be able to help you out. Actually I have a couple people on my other site that have Rhinos and live in Ohio, I will point them to this topic.

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
dieselpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

hitman2565 is on a distinguished road

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
hitman2565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
CommanderTalk.com

dieselpowered has disabled reputation

My pleasure, I will be back in touch

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
dieselpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Magellan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpowered View Post
Wait, I am confused, why do you not have a title on your Teryx? I have a title just as if it were a car or truck?

Being that I do not know your local laws, I cannot comment, but hopefully, someone will be able to help you out. Actually I have a couple people on my other site that have Rhinos and live in Ohio, I will point them to this topic.
Odd. I also do not have a title with mine. Bought in NC, no title issued or needed. I have a title on the 16' trailer I had to buy to haul it around, but not for the Teryx itself. Odd...
Magellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Teee-rible is on a distinguished road

Friend of mine works at the BMV in Indiana, she states that if you paid taxes on your vehicle purchase, the state must title the vehicle. She said this is true in all states. Don't know if that helps any.
Teee-rible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

grizzjeeper is on a distinguished road

ATV's and Snowmobiles are not titled. They have certificates of origin that look like a title but not a title. Motorcycles under 250cc ae not titled either.

Good luck.
grizzjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

cepennington is on a distinguished road

I don't think that these states are prepared for UTV's. The state of Florida does not issue titles for UTV's either. An ATV is required to be titled and have a state sticker so they can run the registration. In Florida, you have to have this sticker to ride your ATV on state lands. UTv's are not permitted on state lands, because they are more than 50" wide. The state defines an ATV or OHV as an off road vehicle having 2, 3 or 4 wheels that is 50" or less in width, and that you have to straddle the seat to operate. So this counts out the RZR also, since you sit in a seat. Most of these laws were established prior to the release of the Yamaha Rhino, and the states just have not updated the laws to include UTV's. Prior to the Rhino, this type of vehicle was used for farm or contruction use. Government is very slow at writing law, and it may take a while for the UTV's to be included.
cepennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

dokkema is on a distinguished road

I dont know what a SMV sign is? but I run mine on the country roads with a orange triangle similar to whats used on farm equitment. Just take it easy and no one seems to interested.
dokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

hubcap is on a distinguished road

Did you finance the Teryx? The bank has your title if you finance... at leat thats the way it is here.
hubcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement