Teryx HQ banner

Throttle issues?

10K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Craiger 
#1 ·
I am new to these rigs and have only had my recently accquired 2010 Teryx about 3 or 4 times in the high desert here in Nevada. One thing that really bugs me is when going over fairly rough terrain, my foot wants to bounce up and down on the throttle making smooth engine performance tough. I got this thing with a bad transmission, and just put a good used engine in it. I have a big fear of this jerky throttle thing messing up this transmission.
I am so used to my quads, I was wondering if anyone makes some kind of thumb throttle for it. If not, is there some fix to help with smooth throttle control? Thanks for any input.

#7 ·
Lobo, is it a top secret fix with classified parts or what? Why not share with everyone, if it works good more peeps could use your fix.:D

#8 ·
Top secret and classified ... nope. I had posted images of my fix a few years ago on this forum. This time I was being lazy as it is just easier to send them to email ;)

Used about 14" of 3/4 X 1/8 flat stock and around 6" of 3/8* steel rod (all available at hardware stores). With the flat stock bent a "V" shape using a vise with a mounting pad at each end. The "V" is the same height off the floor as the gas pedal. Bent 3/4" of one end of the rod where it would fit in the "V" and welded it into place down to the floor (about a 60* angle). Welded a small pad onto the other end where it could be drilled then screwed to the floor. Took maybe 45 minutes to make the whole part and mount it into place. Keeps the foot stable and that angle allows the foot to slide down for full throttle (see attached pictures). The exact lengths will vary a little depending on the height/width of the "V" you make. Used some #10 X 3/4" pan head phillip screws to mount it to the floor.

#9 ·
It basically looks like a rest to help stabilize your foot from moving around.

Another problem I have, is I am short at 5'4" with small feet. So, my comfort position is with the tip of my shoe on the bottom end of the pedal. I think today's project is see if I can somehow extend the pedal to make it longer, or bring it closer to me.

#10 ·
If you noticed the drilled holes in my throttle pedal it is because I had made several extensions for a dealership in Montana for shorter people. Found that aluminum flat stock worked the best. If you use steel flat stock, the additional weight of the steel caused throttle bounce. Put a contour in the flat stock aluminum and extended the pedal 2" from stock. I just used two small bolts to attach it to the top of the OEM pedal. Can't remember if I used 1.5 or 1.25 wide stock that was 1/8" thick. Also available at Big R.

#14 ·
Hi Kodiak,
I've found a simple fix for this problem. I don't have as much trouble with throttle control issues as comfort. I do a lot of technical trails where low speed throttle application is necessary. After an hour of not relaxing the muscles that keep my toes from mashing the throttle, my shins are cramping. I discovered placing my left foot under the HEEL of my right (throttle) foot relieved the tension and as an added bonus gave me much greater throttle control. When I got back to camp I mounted a piece of firewood with zip ties as a heel rest. It worked perfectly. When I got home, I made a trick, light weight aluminum heel rest and mounted it permanently. This fixes the throttle control and the comfort issues by changing the angle of your ankle and supporting the weight of your leg so your foot doesn't bounce on the throttle. Give a try, I think you'll like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.