valve questions - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Home Media Gallery Register Garage FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle Escrow Advertise

valve questions

This is a discussion on valve questions within the Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions forums, part of the The Garage category; I know many people have had issues with their valves and I've been having issues that seem to be the

Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum > The Garage > Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions > valve questions

Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

shepdogwv is on a distinguished road
Default valve questions

I know many people have had issues with their valves and I've been having issues that seem to be the valves and the shop I took it to is saying that I should be careful about tightening them too tight or I may drop a valve and tear more stuff up.

Does anyone have any experience with dropping a valve in one of these things and/or have any incite into what may be too tight to adjust the valves. My bike is a 2008 with about 900 hours on it (just bought it used and ran find for the first 3 or 4 months). I talked to both previous owners and they said they have not had to adjust the valves in them yet.

Thanks for the help guys.
shepdogwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
TeryxHQ.com Site Sponsor

Hunterworks is on a distinguished road

Dropping a valve is not common, even if you let this go until it won't start the chances of it dropping is not likely.

They get tight cause the valve face wears and they move higher in the heads toward the rocker arm, so now that are tight they are in constant contact with rocker arm which is bad.

If they won't do it take it somewhere that will or you do it, I can't think of any reason letting the pressure off the valve would harm anything, makes not sense.

Todd
Old 11-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Freddyz is on a distinguished road

Also they get hard to start. My valves were done went i did my rebuild
Freddyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

robowelder is on a distinguished road

once you start having problems with your valves get the heads done and the valves replaced or your machine will let you down at the worst possible time most likely 40 miles from your truck.To prevent this from happening again make sure you grease the ends of your air filter and keep your air filter properly serviced also I found by lay a tarp under your seats to plug all air and dust from coming up really helps and the cab noise is really reduced good luck
robowelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

4x4pac is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by robowelder View Post
once you start having problems with your valves get the heads done and the valves replaced or your machine will let you down at the worst possible time most likely 40 miles from your truck.To prevent this from happening again make sure you grease the ends of your air filter and keep your air filter properly serviced also I found by lay a tarp under your seats to plug all air and dust from coming up really helps and the cab noise is really reduced good luck

Your valves getting tight has nothing to do with putting some grease around your air filter. It is cause by the metal the stock valves are made out off being junk. The metal were the valve seats to the head begins to wear and allows the valves to slowly get higher and higher in the head. Which causes them to get tight. Has nothing to do with air filter. Next someone will say to keep an eye on your tire pressure or your timing chain might go out!

2009 Teryx LE FI
REAL OFF ROAD RIDERS DON'T RIDE WITH FLEAS
4x4pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

robowelder is on a distinguished road

Well 4x4pac the reason the valves wear down is because of dust getting past the air cleaner and wearing the intake valves out prematurely.Thats why it is only the intakes that fail and not the exhaust .Thats why Kawasaki refuses to do anything about it.Yes they are crappy valves and you need to put better ones in .Most of the time the air cleaner is not prepped right right from the dealership.So hope this explains it to you hope you understand cause your soooooo smart.
robowelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
TeryxHQ.com Site Sponsor

Hunterworks is on a distinguished road

There is debate on what causes it and I personally do not think it is dirt.

My two cents but does not mean I am right.

Exhaust valves are stainless, and intakes are steel with a hard coating on the sealing surface.

Even the exhaust deform, got lots here to look at but they don't do it as much as intake, the difference in metal explains that. Also the fact that most cylinders are just fine with scratching also says it is not the dirt to me.

I do know, installing aftermarket quality valves and stiffer springs fixes it, so if it was dirt then the new ones would do it.

Again this is an opinion and not meant to be argumentive.

Since we have build a good many engines with no issues after the fact with valves I will go with my explanation.

I will also say the stock filter in a Teryx does let dirt pass but the one in the Brute does not and they do this just as bad.

The debate continues!! Who knows, all still Kawi's fault as no other UTV engine does this.

Todd
Old 01-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

4x4pac is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by robowelder View Post
Well 4x4pac the reason the valves wear down is because of dust getting past the air cleaner and wearing the intake valves out prematurely.Thats why it is only the intakes that fail and not the exhaust .Thats why Kawasaki refuses to do anything about it.Yes they are crappy valves and you need to put better ones in .Most of the time the air cleaner is not prepped right right from the dealership.So hope this explains it to you hope you understand cause your soooooo smart.
Just finished doing both exhaust and intake on my 09. I know for a fact that I had to adjust the exhaust on the rear cylinder more often than the others. I truly do not believe it has anything to do with dirt or dust getting past an air filter. I feel it is just poor material used to make the valves, but no matter what the cause make sure you do not use stock valves when replacing.

2009 Teryx LE FI
REAL OFF ROAD RIDERS DON'T RIDE WITH FLEAS
4x4pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement