help loss of power - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Home Media Gallery Register Garage FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle Escrow Advertise

help loss of power

This is a discussion on help loss of power within the Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions forums, part of the The Garage category; hey guys i have a 2008 teryx w/vforce clutch and dynatek cdi box. did a compression test and it read

Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum > The Garage > Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions > help loss of power

Kawasaki Teryx Performance Discussions Kawasaki Teryx performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

kaptn12 is on a distinguished road
Default help loss of power

hey guys i have a 2008 teryx w/vforce clutch and dynatek cdi box. did a compression test and it read 65 AND 120. THIS IS REALLY WEIRD. I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE. my top speed is now 40 and everytime i gas on it, it blows bluish smoke out the exhaust. What are the things i should check for ? i want to say my rings are bad on 1 cylinder. i am really stumped on what to do. My question is what should i put in the motor to enhance the performance and i do not want the 840 big bore kit. Im thinking the standard bore but im on a budget. Ideas would be helpful like maybe web cams with muzzy exhaust and hunterworks jet kit with uni filter? need help here just what combination would be best?
kaptn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

shady is on a distinguished road

check your valves first.
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

KYWILDCATS74 is on a distinguished road

Well the bluish smoke tells me the lower compression cylinder is shot.. Maybe check your intake connections or you ran it low on oil.. Or to long between oil changes.. Why against the 840?? You are going to have to punch out your jugs anyway.. It will cost you more to do the standard bore than the 840Regaurdless you will have to at the very least replace pistons,rings, and bore cylinders. I would check all intake connections including the carb boots.. You engine should have not done that unless you water logged it, or poor maintenece, or bad connections. Just saying..
Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

no i haven't waterlogged it or anything. i took my intake boots off it was full of oil on the boots. im gonna get some plenum rings and a siphon break. but i tore down the cylinder that was reading 120 psi i didnt find anything out of wack cylinder piston was good. Could a stuck or bent valve cause this? im stumped now Could the oil ring go bad and not scar up the cylinder?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
TeryxHQ.com Site Sponsor

Hunterworks is on a distinguished road

The cylinder with 120 is the odd one, normal compression is 45 to 65 or somewhere there abouts due to having a decompression mechanism.

Once runnning though both are gonna be about the same, I would say the one with 120 has a messed up decompression mechanism.

As for the smoke, it is pushing it into the plenum.

I really don't think you have something bad wrong.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

yes 120 psi is very strange exactly what is the decompression mechanism is that on the camshaft? but would this cause me to have no top end wot it goes about 42 it seems like the motor would not rev up b4 this it would hit 57
Old 05-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
TeryxHQ.com Site Sponsor

Hunterworks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptn12 View Post
yes 120 psi is very strange exactly what is the decompression mechanism is that on the camshaft? but would this cause me to have no top end wot it goes about 42 it seems like the motor would not rev up b4 this it would hit 57
There is a mechanism on the camshafts that pushes a pin up and allows the exhaust valve to open some during start up so compression is not so high making it easy to turn over. Once started centrifugal force makes these two weights fly out turning a small shaft inside the cam pulling the pin back in.

The lower pressure one is right on, the 120 one is the one with the issue.

But as I mentioned it really should not matter because once running the lower psi cylinder would be up to the higher.

As to what is causing your issue, I would need lots more information
Old 05-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

We noticed the mechanism on the camshaft was engaged when we were tski g the camshaft off so we manually disengaged it. Dk if it's supposed to be engaged or not? But what other info would u like to know. The sooner I solve this the better because I'm ready to order parts n I'll be ordering from u like ur carb kit rings stop kit muzzy exhaust. Thanks for ur help
Old 05-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

KYWILDCATS74 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptn12 View Post
We noticed the mechanism on the camshaft was engaged when we were tski g the camshaft off so we manually disengaged it. Dk if it's supposed to be engaged or not? But what other info would u like to know. The sooner I solve this the better because I'm ready to order parts n I'll be ordering from u like ur carb kit rings stop kit muzzy exhaust. Thanks for ur help
Well I didnt realized it began smoking after you climbed a hill or revved it hard and long.. That will cause one to fill your air cleaner with oil blown out of your crankcase. The mechanism should be engaged until your engine runs and centrifical force dissengages it..Did you check your plugs, did it have any miss or rough running?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

shady is on a distinguished road

My 08 smoked the first time out( Oil in the plenium ) no biggie, but I said check valves first, because it is free and easy. Todd will take care of you he has played with these engines for a while now he knows whats up.
shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement