Teryx loaded on a 3/4 short bed! - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Home Media Gallery Register Garage FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Motorcycle Escrow Advertise

Teryx loaded on a 3/4 short bed!

This is a discussion on Teryx loaded on a 3/4 short bed! within the Trucks, Trailers, Towing, and Hauling Discussions forums, part of the General Forums category; This the latest idea I came up with for hauling my Teryx. Problem: rear tires sits on tailgate, scary thought,

Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum > General Forums > Trucks, Trailers, Towing, and Hauling Discussions > Teryx loaded on a 3/4 short bed!

Trucks, Trailers, Towing, and Hauling Discussions Trucks, trailers, towing, and hauling discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

olddirtrider is on a distinguished road
Default Teryx loaded on a 3/4 short bed!

This the latest idea I came up with for hauling my Teryx.

Problem: rear tires sits on tailgate, scary thought, tailgate cables breaks or ends pull out!

Solution for GMC or Late model Chevy pickup.

There is a 3/8 hole located at the topside of the edge of the tailgate and it goes all the way through the tailgate! So I ran a 3/8, 8/18 stainless rod through the tailgate and machined some ends to thread on to both sides of the rod. (3/8 -24 NF) thread. Then I fabricate 2 channels to extend down inside the holes in the rear stake bed 2 holes, with a piece of 3/8 1 1/2 steel strap on the welded top. The channel was then secured with a 1/2 13 grade 5 bolt from the side. I then ran a 5/8 steel rod from the rod ends to the strap at the top of the strap and secured the rod with grade 8 cap screws. Anyway check out the pictures, it is much easier than trying to explain .......

I am still a bit worried about hitting a bump and sheering the stainless

PS I built this system all from shop junk
Attached Thumbnails
Teryx loaded on a 3/4 short bed!-taligate1.jpg   Teryx loaded on a 3/4 short bed!-tailgate2.jpg   Teryx loaded on a 3/4 short bed!-tailgate3.jpg  
olddirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
CommanderTalk.com

dieselpowered has disabled reputation

Looks like a pretty secure way of transporting your Teryx for those without a trailer. I imagine the wheel wheels need to be driven over due to the width. Good work though!

This reminds me...a few weeks ago, my buddy put his Rhino in the back of his long bed F250. Being in a hurry, he failed to strap the ramps to the truck and guess what...ramps decided they no longer wanted to be on the tailgate and that Rhino came slamming down onto the tailgate. Seeing as he was determined to get the Rhino in the back, he once again places the ramps onto what is now a slightly bent tailgate. He makes it up this time.

Long story short, he is able to make it for the ride and once we were done and loading up...he proceeded to drop the Rhino off the tailgate two more times.

The reason I bring this up...always remember to strap those ramps to the truck, not matter how quickly you want to get out riding.

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
dieselpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

NEVERENOUGH is on a distinguished road

Hey that is a great idea. I brought my teryx home from the dealer in the bed of my chevy dually and it was not fun loading or unloading. I think it will ride in my toyhauler and a quad or two in the bed of the truck from now on.
2006 limited yfz 450 mine
2003 Pred 500 wifes
1986 4trax 250R sons
1997 300ex daughter
2006 250ex daughter
2008 Teryx ours
NEVERENOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Crowdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpowered View Post
Looks like a pretty secure way of transporting your Teryx for those without a trailer. I imagine the wheel wheels need to be driven over due to the width. Good work though!

This reminds me...a few weeks ago, my buddy put his Rhino in the back of his long bed F250. Being in a hurry, he failed to strap the ramps to the truck and guess what...ramps decided they no longer wanted to be on the tailgate and that Rhino came slamming down onto the tailgate. Seeing as he was determined to get the Rhino in the back, he once again places the ramps onto what is now a slightly bent tailgate. He makes it up this time.

Long story short, he is able to make it for the ride and once we were done and loading up...he proceeded to drop the Rhino off the tailgate two more times.

The reason I bring this up...always remember to strap those ramps to the truck, not matter how quickly you want to get out riding.
I had my straps on, but not tight enough.

Also, make sure you are 4WD.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
CommanderTalk.com

dieselpowered has disabled reputation

That is a good point Crowdog, to get over those wheel wells you will likely have a lot more control while in 4wd.

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
dieselpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Crowdog is on a distinguished road

I posted a few pictures of my Teryx in a Ford short bed here:
Teryx in a Short Bed Truck

I'm not sure I will be doing it again. It is pretty tight.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Crowdog, I think you are going to be looking at allot of expense when your cables break or the ends come off!

The past 12 years I worked in the fitness equipment business. We made cables for weight machines both commercial and residential. I did a lot of research before I began making cables, due to the liablelity involved.

Most tailgate cables are a rubber coated 3/16 inch, probably galvanized cable. The breaking strength is 4250lbs. Sounds like strong enough, however the industry standard is breaking strength divided by 5 to get what is called "working weight". This means that each cable should support 850 lbs, But the problem is that cables don't usually fail by just breaking. A large percentage of the cables fail at the connector my simply pulling out of the end. Also the amount of stress put on the cable just sitting there is just fine! But every you hit a bump the stress is multiplied by the G factor of the bump. If you hit a bump hard it could be 5 to 10 G's. Your tailgate cables will not hold your load! I hope you will take some action to reinforce your tailgate before it gets expensive!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

buckshot is on a distinguished road

All I have done in the past is build a steel frame which your front tires sit on and your rear tires sit on just above the tailgate. I have used 1" x 1" x 1/8" tubing and it was light enough to pullout when not in use yet strong enough to hold the weight.
buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshot View Post
All I have done in the past is build a steel frame which your front tires sit on and your rear tires sit on just above the tailgate. I have used 1" x 1" x 1/8" tubing and it was light enough to pullout when not in use yet strong enough to hold the weight.
Great idea also!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpowered View Post
That is a good point Crowdog, to get over those wheel wells you will likely have a lot more control while in 4wd.
After punching out my window on my 2000 ranger with my wife's 700 Prairie, I am just a bit twitchy when it comes to loading and unloading! Defiantly use 4Wheel drive in low range while loading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement