Teryx HQ banner

Rear Diff Fluid

38K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  kyle 
#1 ·
Do you guys know of any large chain stores that will carry the fluid for the rear diff's? I have tried hunting around locally and have came up with nothing. I did go to Chaparral Motorsports (local parts supplier) and they recommended i use Kawasaki Gear Oil P/N 19-1303. Its a Hypoid oil recommended for the Mule. I havn't put it in because i figured that if Kawi wanted that oil to be used... They would have put it in thier service manual.

Locally i can find tons of different Hydraulic fluid, but no one has the brands/models listed in the service manual.

Please help!!!

#3 ·
Thanks Rob...

Do you guys know of any large chain stores that will carry the fluid for the rear diff's? I have tried hunting around locally and have came up with nothing. I did go to Chaparral Motorsports (local parts supplier) and they recommended i use Kawasaki Gear Oil P/N 19-1303. Its a Hypoid oil recommended for the Mule. I havn't put it in because i figured that if Kawi wanted that oil to be used... They would have put it in thier service manual.

Locally i can find tons of different Hydraulic fluid, but no one has the brands/models listed in the service manual.

Please help!!!
I have the oil you need for the rear diff, DON'T USE GEAR OIL!!! You need a hydraulic/tractor fliud for the rear brake. Kawai doesn't make it, that's why they spec the mobil stuff in the data sheets. The AMSOIL ATH meets this spec. I sent you a PM.

#5 ·
I found this thread

Just thought i would add this for those who are having trouble finding the proper fluid for the rear diff.
NAPA part # 85-401
it meets all the criteria and it comes in 1 gallon jug, for about 12 bucks!
I figure i should be able to get 3-4 changes per jug.

#7 ·
diff oil

Well HOLY #$%*. I just changed my diff fluids both front and rear. It was recommended by the dealer. Used the same Synthetic stuff for both. Now I read here that there is different stuff for front and back. WTF.Someone clear this one up for me please.

#8 ·
I have changed my diff fluids both front and rear to royal purple gear oil. Just make shure what you use doesent have friction moddifiers as it can damage the front locker clutch pack and rear brake pack. I have around 1600 miles on my royal purple diff oil and all is well. 2300 miles in the machine and original brakes and front locker clutches and no seals leaking. Some guys are using hydralic fluid and im shure there are other fluids being used. Im not shure of the rating as im at work but someone with a manual should tell you what the required rating is. My Suzuki king quad had the same rear brake set up in it and it had 4000 miles on royal purple gear oil in the rear diff when i sold it and had the original rear brakes. Good luck.

#9 ·
The same motor oil you use in the engine is fine for the front diff....the rear diff requires a oil compatible with a wet brake. I recommend Amsoil's full synthetic tractor transmission fluid. It protects like a gearlube...pumps like a hydraulic fluid and works really super with the rear diff's wet brake.....

#13 ·
I notice the dated thread here but I've run CaseIH HyTrans Ultra in the rear end of my 08 Teryx and my dads 05 King Quad. I already have lots of that around here on the farm and even if you're stuck in metropolis, there's probably a Case IH farm or construction dealer near you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.