Teryx HQ banner

Pedals, Tunnel, etc

8K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  perks offroad 
#1 ·
OK, so I've been following this since it started and I have something that I'd like to toss out there to you guys. First the pedal extentions and new angled pedals look awesome but what really is the issue here? Is it the pedals are too far to the left or is it just a case of needing a place to rest your foot?

I have a ton of hours driving my dad's Mule and I can't stand the driving position in that because the steering wheel is one place the pedals in another and you can't stay in one spot on the seat. With that said I got in my Teryx and felt really comfy. OK I did slip off the throttle once while in Moab at the UTV Rally but after just spending the last half hour sitting in it an thinking I came to a conclusion.

I think if you move the pedal to the right (closer to the hump) then you'll be throwing of the balance between seat, steering wheel and pedals. I agree that the gap between the gas pedal and the hump makes it somewhat awkward having no place to rest your foot but how about this for a solution.

Since engine heat has been a topic here as well why not kill to birds with one stone and make the center hump both bigger and wider. This would allow for more air draw through the engine compartment from the front of the car to the back(More air flow less heat). It will also now give yourselves someplace to rest your foot.

Somebody build it and I'l buy it! OK FST here is a new product for you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting...I suppose it could even be taken one step further and have an area for cup holders, storage, etc. I could very well be interested in something like this as well.

#3 ·
I like your thinking! That would make it even better, especially since I put my radio and intercom where my drink holder used to be. It sucks to drive around with a water bottle between your legs!

#4 ·
Actually you could get as detailed as you want...maybe make a modular area in it that would accept different combinations of mods. Say there is a double DIN area...maybe have a head unit in one DIN, then under maybe you could have three gauges, or a gauge and some switches. Basically you purchase the base unit and it comes standard with a radio DIN and a gauge DIN. But maybe in the future you wanted to change something, instead of having to buy a new base unit, you could just purchase different mod inserts for whatever configuration you want to use.

#6 ·
I totally agree with Flatty. A piece of 1/16" stainless or aluminum to extend the hump over would be cheaper and would give you additional space to mount a fire extinguisher, GPS, Cooler for sandwiches, Fruit drinks, ETC> (just kidding on the sandwiches)

#8 ·
I like this idea. My friend owns Warrior Products who builds aftermarket aluminum diamond plate accessories for Jeeps and other 4 x 4's. I personally am a little burnt out on the diamond plate but would love the look of the plain aluminum. I have contacted him to build this product. Are there any other ideas that might be cool for the teryx. I would love to create some ideas here to stimulate his interest in more than one product.

#9 ·
OK, so I've been following this since it started and I have something that I'd like to toss out there to you guys. First the pedal extentions and new angled pedals look awesome but what really is the issue here? Is it the pedals are too far to the left or is it just a case of needing a place to rest your foot?

I have a ton of hours driving my dad's Mule and I can't stand the driving position in that because the steering wheel is one place the pedals in another and you can't stay in one spot on the seat. With that said I got in my Teryx and felt really comfy. OK I did slip off the throttle once while in Moab at the UTV Rally but after just spending the last half hour sitting in it an thinking I came to a conclusion.

I think if you move the pedal to the right (closer to the hump) then you'll be throwing of the balance between seat, steering wheel and pedals. I agree that the gap between the gas pedal and the hump makes it somewhat awkward having no place to rest your foot but how about this for a solution.

Since engine heat has been a topic here as well why not kill to birds with one stone and make the center hump both bigger and wider. This would allow for more air draw through the engine compartment from the front of the car to the back(More air flow less heat). It will also now give yourselves someplace to rest your foot.

Somebody build it and I'l buy it! OK FST here is a new product for you.
:cool: CALL ME AND WE WILL GO OVER THE DETAILS AND I'LL BUILD IT!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 ·
FST - I'll give you a jingle next week to discuss.

For those wanting to put you GPS there, beware if you put it too low you will have a hard time viewing it at speed. I mounted my Lowrance Baja on the cross tube (aftermarket cage) dead center just above the stock instrument cluster. That way I can see both in the same field of vision. Maybe if I can figure the picture thing out this weekend I can post some pix up on what I've done so far.

#10 ·
Just a thought, if its built out of metal, it may need to be lined with heat reflective tape on the bottom side. Metal holds heat better than plastic.

I like the cup holder idea, then the stereo can go in the dash. How about a small waterproof compartment to store cell phone, truck keys, etc and a gps mount spot close to the dash. Don't forget to leave some room for airflow though.

Way to reason things out CA51flatty about angles between the steering wheel and pedals.

#11 ·
Could have vents

I know most of you are concerned with keeping the cab cool, but up here in the Northwoods that's only a problem a few months out of the year. If there were operational vents on either side, You could regulate whether or not you wanted heated on driver's side , both driver & passenger, or neither. All those other ideas you've come up with are great!

#12 ·
great idea

I agree completely. A place to hold drinks, or even a GPS would be great.

Make it removable, and it would be a great place to house an aftermarket air filter (if HunterWorks can make it work) It would be easy to get in there to inspect, and clean.

PowerTrip
Utah

#14 ·
This is a great idea. Put me down for 1. I like the idea of a cup holders and maybe a lockable storage area. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with keep us posted.

#16 ·
Ultimate center console( while we're at it)

Since your are doing cup holders ,Why not make one with the the option of mounting a stereo in it and also have the option of putting 6 inch speakers in it too, facing up towards the passengers. (probably wouldn't work with aluminum) No cutting holes or drilling in the dash. Then you could make another model with just storage.

#17 ·
The more I think about this the more it makes sense to leave the pedals as is, and build the tunnel out, so the postion of the steering wheel/pedals is maintained. I've put my right foot on the floor beside the gas pedal, then used my left foot to gas the Teryx, while resting it against my right foot. It works...control of the pedal is gained back.

STORAGE....is what I'd want with the tunnel build out, and drink holders as well. Already I throw various tools, gloves etc into the drink holders, as well as the bed. I've even toyed with the idea of clamping a tool box of sorts to the back of the cage, to get these tools out of the bed and the weather.

#21 ·
That would fit some of our requests but not airflow or a place to rest your foot.

I'm thinking wider for comfort and airflow, chambered to reduce heat in the area that would house drinks, radio, gps etc. In other words an intial air tunnel and then some dead space and then your modular section for all of those creature comforts. I think if it installs in sections it will be easier to make it fit and keep it looking good.

#24 ·
Did anyone ever come up with a tunnel to get more air to the engine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.