Teryx HQ banner

warn winch problem

8K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  crow 
#1 ·
well i went to use my winch for the first time in about 4 weeks and when i push the in button nothing happens, and when i push the out button it comes in. winch has worked great for the past year and a half. im thinking its the relay box crapped out but looking for ideas.

also i tried the remote and the dash rocker and neither would work correctly

#2 ·
Sounds like your contactor went out (relay box), Warn had a problem with these a few years ago, they had a recall and replaced most.

Is it possible you bought a Winch thats been on the shelf awhile? You should disconnect the power to the contactor, if I remember right there was a possibility of a short causing a fire.

This may not be your problem at all, but I thought I'd let you know of the recall, replacement of contactors.

#3 ·
it starts on fire i get a 2010. burn baby burn!! lol. j/k or am i?:laugh:

im gonna call warn and wee what they say

#5 ·
just got off the phone with warn. they are sending me the contactor for free. great customer service. glad i own a warn

#8 ·
a cheap winch and a standard bore and i will be slow and stuck. GREAT!

#9 ·
i really like milemarker winches..i had nothing but excellent service out of my pe4500 i had on my arctic cat prowler 650...i had to modify the mounting brackets to use it but after i got it mounted i was completly happy with it.it was twice as powerful as a warn 3000 i had on the same unit.and i never had a contactor problem.i just wish there was enough room to install it on my teryx.the pe4500 is larger than a regular atv winch.

#12 ·
majority of those are not even installed yet!but i hope those winches turn out to be an outstanding addition to anyones utv or atv because i am in the market to have one for mine.;)ive had superwinches/warn/milemarker/and will most likely choose one of these next.

#14 ·
I put one of these om my Teryx just after I got it, March 08, its one of the earlier versions, not waterproof, and I have used it many times and had no problems with it.

The newer versions are totally sealed. Seems like a very well made winch at a reasonable cost, at close to two years old if I were to break it I would not hesitate to buy another. Again just my opinion.

#16 ·
Regular maintenance? Besides straightening out the wraps of cable I didn't think there was anything to do to them. Could you explain please?

#17 ·
Pretty common language from most winch brands:
An ATV winch is a mechanical device and should be cleaned, inspected, and serviced on a regular schedule. The frequency will depend on the operating conditions and location that the winch has been mounted.

A winch that is mounted low will require maintenance more often than one mounted high. When the winch is mounted low, it can be submerged in water and mud more often. Whether the winch is being operated or not, this water and mud can get into the gear sets, bushings, and motor. These contaminants are very abrasive and corrosive to the internal components of a winch and will degrade the lubrication as well. Under these circumstances, it will be necessary to remove the winch for total disassembly, cleaning, inspection, and lubrication. Not performing these maintenance items can lead to premature failure and/or expensive repairs. Even though your winch may be under warranty, you are still responsible for all necessary maintenance and proper operation.

Depends on how you use the winch. Make sense?

#18 ·
Ok makes sense.so if the winch is sealed maintance should be low but a guy sould look into the guts to check just to be sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.