What do you need to get started? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Getting Started Discussions pertaining to getting started in UTV racing.
Requirements, inspections, where to start, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What do you need to get started?

Who on here races side by sides?

What type of racing
Track
Baja
Mud Races?

What do you need to get started.

Last edited by DougS; 06-07-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Build Sponsor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post

What type of racing
Track
Baja
Mud Races?

It can get pretty exspensive. At most tracks for your first race they will let you run pretty much stock but after that you will need a minimum of a fire exstinguisher and 4 or 5 point harnesses and possibly side door protection. To move to Mod or the next class you will need a cage and if you want to keep up suspension. Oh ya and a race suite helmet gloves and eye protection. So I think i just named off about $7000.00 to $8000.00 worth of stuff. But don't get discouraged racing the stock class is really fun and the least exspensive.

Unleashed UTV
5838 N. 19th Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85015
www.unleashedutv.com
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Build Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashed Utv View Post
it Can Get Pretty Exspensive. At Most Tracks For Your First Race They Will Let You Run Pretty Much Stock But After That You Will Need A Minimum Of A Fire Exstinguisher And 4 Or 5 Point Harnesses And Possibly Side Door Protection. To Move To Mod Or The Next Class You Will Need A Cage And If You Want To Keep Up Suspension. Oh Ya And A Race Suite Helmet Gloves And Eye Protection. So I Think I Just Named Off About $7000.00 To $8000.00 Worth Of Stuff. But Don't Get Discouraged Racing The Stock Class Is Really Fun And The Least Exspensive.

Aslo Keep In Mind You Will Need A Good Support Team To Help You During The Race (short Course/offroad)

As Well As Spare Parts So That If You Have A Failure Or An Encounter With Another Racer You Can Come Back For A Better Finish For The Second Heat(short Course)

In Offroad Or Endurance Races You Will Want To Be In Shape Cause That Can Really Take Alot Out Of You

Your Suport Team Usually Needs To Be Bigger And Your Spare Parts Usually Need To Be More Plentyful Then Short Course

Having Patience Will Help You Keep Your Focus On The Track/course Which Will Allow You To Race A Smart And Safe Race Instead Of A Wreckless And Unsafe Race

If You Are On A Budget Don't Short Cut On The Safty Equipment That The Race Sanctions Requires

Always Get The Best That Is Available Even If It Means To Miss One Race To Save Up For The Better/safer Equipment

It's Not Worth It To Skimp On Quality To Try To Make A Race. Especially If Something Happens And You Are Injured Very Badly And Can't Race Anymore Or Even Worse Costs You Lots Of Money In Doctor Bills And New Life Style Adjustments.

Personal Advice......make Sure That You Include Your Race Team As If They Own The Race Vechile As Well Always Say We (we Did A Good Job Or We Won)

When You Do This They Put More Effort In Being Part Of The Team Cause Their Time Is Very Valuable And You Can't Do It All By Yourself

Good Luck In Your Racing Adventurs

IF YOU DIDN'T BREAK IT!! YOU COULDN'T OF HAD FUN!!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 02:04 PM

Depends on where you are. If you are on the eastern side of the states and want to race in the GNCC or the TG Challange, all you need is a stock vehicle helmet and a co-driver and you can have as much fun as any of us.

We race these two styles and don't even bring tools, you will lose if you have to work on it. Same goes for spare parts or support team, they simply are not needed.

We raced in the stock class and now the modified class, there is very little difference and we won the first TG Challenge 0-700 cc Modified race.

You would not make it thru these course with long travel, they are races thru the woods. I think in retail dollars on my 700 Race Rhino I have about $3000 worth of stuff including power steering which is really nice.

I'm overweight and out of shape and still compete and don't get sore anymore now that I have power steering.

It can be inexpensive over here in these two race venues but very expensive in the west.

They are simply two different styles from the east to the west. The think the main reason is they don't have trees out west

Click on the following link to read about racing in the East

What it takes to race in the East

Below is two links to the racing associations.

www.gnccracing.com
www.tgchallenge.com

Last edited by Hunterworks; 06-08-2008 at 02:12 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 09:24 PM
Build Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterworks View Post
depends On Where You Are. If You Are On The Eastern Side Of The States And Want To Race In The Gncc Or The Tg Challange, All You Need Is A Stock Vehicle Helmet And A Co-driver And You Can Have As Much Fun As Any Of Us.

We Race These Two Styles And Don't Even Bring Tools, You Will Lose If You Have To Work On It. Same Goes For Spare Parts Or Support Team, They Simply Are Not Needed.

We Raced In The Stock Class And Now The Modified Class, There Is Very Little Difference And We Won The First Tg Challenge 0-700 Cc Modified Race.

You Would Not Make It Thru These Course With Long Travel, They Are Races Thru The Woods. I Think In Retail Dollars On My 700 Race Rhino I Have About $3000 Worth Of Stuff Including Power Steering Which Is Really Nice.

I'm Overweight And Out Of Shape And Still Compete And Don't Get Sore Anymore Now That I Have Power Steering.

It Can Be Inexpensive Over Here In These Two Race Venues But Very Expensive In The West.

They Are Simply Two Different Styles From The East To The West. The Think The Main Reason Is They Don't Have Trees Out West

Click On The Following Link To Read About Racing In The East

what It Takes To Race In The East

Below Is Two Links To The Racing Associations.

The New GNCC Racing Online
TopGear UTV Challenge
Thats Pretty Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Looks Like Fun Racing Not So Serious All Of The Time

Just Run What You Brung Fun

IF YOU DIDN'T BREAK IT!! YOU COULDN'T OF HAD FUN!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 05:19 AM

Oh it is fun and yes you run what you brung. The fastest does not win the smart one does.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post

They are simply two different styles from the east to the west. The think the main reason is they don't have trees out west

TG Challenge UTV Racing | Welcome
What do you mean we don't have trees in the West? What do you call these!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 04:46 PM

And my luck I would hit it!!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 08:06 PM

Looks like I've been there with my chainsaws, anybody wanna buy some firewood?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post

What type of racing
Track
Baja
Mud Races?

I would love to race the Teryx, feel like I am doing it already. Gotta find somewhere to go and try it out ...something for you to organize in Alberta Doug if you are bord!

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement