Parking Brake Alarm - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Electrical Discussions Kawasaki Teryx electrical discussions.
Lighting, audio, GPS, communications, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
CommanderTalk.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Parking Brake Alarm

Ya know after reading about the different threads in regards to the parking brake light...I was thinking, why could you not get one of those tiny backup alarms and wire that in line with the parking break warning light. Then when you have the parking brake engaged, you will hear that annoying tone and remember to take the brake off. Thoughts?

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 02:30 PM

It works well

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpowered View Post
Ya know after reading about the different threads in regards to the parking brake light...I was thinking, why could you not get one of those tiny backup alarms and wire that in line with the parking break warning light. Then when you have the parking brake engaged, you will hear that annoying tone and remember to take the brake off. Thoughts?
I wired in a small 12v buzzer inline with the yellow brake light. When the parking brake is engaged, the buzzer sounds. When I'm in hunting areas, the buzzer is a disadvantage so I also wired in an over-ride switch to kill the sound. I found the 12v buzzer at:

Futurlec, The Electronic Components and Semiconductor Superstore

Cost was $2.5 plus shipping. Its a cheap insurance policy.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 05:36 PM

Great topic! I just came by here to post the same topic/question.

One thing I noticed while out duning last week is that the digital dash is very hard to see when it is dusty and dirty. I was thinking about hooking up an alarm/buzzer that only goes off when you go from neutral into a forward or reverse gear.

Should be easy I'd think. Just need to hook it up so when the neutral light is on, and the brake is engaged it will buzz.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:46 AM

Can't help myself here. Reach over and wipe dust off, LOL!!! Cheaper and easier than wiring.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 AM

I need to do something....the warnings lights are in the middle, out of the drivers line of sight. I really wish they had put that in front of the driver where it belongs.

I've taken off with the parking brake engage several times. If I use a buzzer of some kind, had better be loud, because my ears are no good, and sadly, getting worse.

I'm thinking a bright light in my line of sight might be a better solution for me.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 10:36 AM

Got to spend a little time on the 'rex yesterday. We got snowed in, so once the power came back on I was able to try and figure out a solution.

What I came up with is a simple buzzer & relay set-up. The buzzer will only come on if the brake is still engaged when the transmission is taken out of neutral.

Once I get the final install done I will post exactly how it's done. I need to get a different buzzer, once they open the roads back up I'm gonna run into radio shack in town.

2009 Teryx Sport,SDR Bed delete Cage & Full Doors , LTi +5 Long Travel,T/S Aggressor Seats (Heated & Lumbar), Vision X Dome's, ITP SS212 tires W/ Baja Cross, MSD, Muzzy's Exh., DASA airfilter & Impeller, VFJ III Clutch, K2 Siphon Break, 4500 Viperwinch, ViAir 280c on board air, Livewire LED Whip (x2), Rugged Radio Intercom with Car-2-Car, K2 Customs carbon fiber headlite buckets, Sirius !!, Speed Ind. Wheel W/ Joe's Racing Q/D, One11 Ink Roof Wrap, Garmin Oregon 450 gps
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 08:32 AM
Build Sponsor

hook one wire to the Yellow wire for the Neutral, and one to the Green wire for the brake, or are those reversed, i dont remember, but anyways, if you do that you will have a buzzer that comes on when the brake is on and it is in Gear.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGONFIRERACING View Post
hook one wire to the Yellow wire for the Neutral, and one to the Green wire for the brake, or are those reversed, i dont remember, but anyways, if you do that you will have a buzzer that comes on when the brake is on and it is in Gear.
This is why I used a relay. The parking brake wire is neg polarity, & the nuetral light is neg until you put it into gear, making it a low voltage poss (less than 12v) line. The relay only allows the buzzer to go off once you have the poss voltage coming in from the neutral light & and the negative from the parking brake switch.

I didn't want my the "alarm"/buzzer to activate every time the brake was engaged. Only if it was still engaged when put into gear, fwd or rev.

2009 Teryx Sport,SDR Bed delete Cage & Full Doors , LTi +5 Long Travel,T/S Aggressor Seats (Heated & Lumbar), Vision X Dome's, ITP SS212 tires W/ Baja Cross, MSD, Muzzy's Exh., DASA airfilter & Impeller, VFJ III Clutch, K2 Siphon Break, 4500 Viperwinch, ViAir 280c on board air, Livewire LED Whip (x2), Rugged Radio Intercom with Car-2-Car, K2 Customs carbon fiber headlite buckets, Sirius !!, Speed Ind. Wheel W/ Joe's Racing Q/D, One11 Ink Roof Wrap, Garmin Oregon 450 gps
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Build Sponsor

thats how it is set up with the way i mentioned, only goes off when it is put into gear
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:21 PM

I mis-understood what you meant. I thought the way yours is wired is that the buzzer is activated, makes noise when the brake is applied, until you put it in gear then it goes off.

I meant the buzzer is activated, emits a sound ("goes off") when the brake is still engaged and put into gear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement