What lighting to get. - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Electrical Discussions Kawasaki Teryx electrical discussions.
Lighting, audio, GPS, communications, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What lighting to get.

Should I get a LED light bar or HID, HID in the factory locations, etc? I like the clean look of the light bar. Do they give you as much visibility as the HID? Would just HID in the factory location be enough light? I was thinking of going ahead and having SDR install my lighting while it is at their shop since I am picking it up the day before my next Glamis trip and would like to have it all ready to go with some good lighting but I got to figure out what to get first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 11:46 AM
CommanderTalk.com

Hi there, I run the 40" EDGE Series LED on the roof and factory HID conversion in the stock location.

The LED bar puts out a lot of light, however, will not fire the light as far as say four 7" HIDs. On a Teryx, I do not believe you will have a problem with out running the lights, so it may come down to personal preference. Power consumption is different between the two as well as cost, so that may play a factor as well.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Wow I hadn't even looked at the price of those things. $1450 for the 40" bar! No thanks! What's my best option in about the $300 range? Is just the factory HID conversion pretty decent or is that going to be lacking? Would I be better off leaving the stock lights stock and and adding a couple of stand alone HIDs? Where can a get a reliable factory HID conversion or stand alone HIDs for a good price?

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:31 PM
CommanderTalk.com

I think what I would do is check around and see if you can get your hands on some of the Checker HID spot lights and then look into doing a factory HID conversion. If you are driving on the street, you will not be able to run those spots, so the HID conversion would come in handy. Check with the vendors here on both the Checker lights and the conversion, I know some of them carry them.

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

I think I am just going to order HID from NightOwl. So if you get the HI/LO kit do you have to install a switch in the dash or something to switch between high and low? I am thinking I don't really need the HI/LO because I don't plan on driving on the street.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:46 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Actually the hi-lo utilizes the factory switch, lo for lo, hi for hi

Its all plug-n-play.

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

I also noticed in some of the older forum posts NightOwl said his HID were 6x brighter than stock and on their website it only says 3x brighter. Did he down grade his kits or was the 6x brighter claim just a little optimistic?
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpowered View Post
Actually the hi-lo utilizes the factory switch, lo for lo, hi for hi

Its all plug-n-play.
OH duh! I barely even touched my new Teryx before bringing it down to SDR. I thought the first position was running lights like a car and the other was headlights on, not HI/LO. I guess I will just grab the HI/LO kit then. Thanks for all the help.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

OK just ordered that kit. I will see how those do first and then look into additional lights if those aren't cutting it. I am going to have fun trying to install this lighting kit and the power steering kit after I get it home from SDR the day before I leave for Glamis. I love to do stuff myself but I am almost thinking of seeing if SDR can do the install just because I don't know if I will have time.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Well I just got an email from NightOwl and I guess he doesn't have the Hi/Lo kits anymore so I am just going to order one from Side X Side customs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement