Teryx HQ banner

500w stator vs. 60 amps alternator

37K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  UTV CRAP 
#1 ·
hi,

as i've been reading some threads, i think i wll be needing some more electrical power to feed my system (3 hid lights, 2 hid bulbs replacing the oem, 4000 warn winch, probox stereo system with 4 speakers, horn, turn lights system).
what fo you guys recommend me? the utv crap 60 amps alternator system or the 500w stator from sidebyside.

i know too little about electrics and don't know what is better, but i see that the alternator might broke in deep waters, however i think it will produce more power than the 500w alternator.

anyway how is that the matematics work with the 500w stator?
is it like this?: 500w(alternator) minus 100 (teryx needing aprox) minus 105 (for 3 hid lights) minus 70 for the 2 hid replacement oem bulbs) it is equal to 225w still "available" for my stereo and everything else?

just wondering ow this works.

opinions will be very appreciated

sergio,
mazatlan mexico

See less See more
#3 ·
Todd,
I am also wondering how this stator works. Does it only produce it's power after a certain RPM is reached? If so, what is the RPM level required? What does the stock stator produce?
My odessey battery gets drained down due to my HID's, so I am looking for something that will boost my recharging capabilities. Will the 500w stator work for this purpose?

#7 ·
Ok guys good news, I have been running the 500 watt stator from sidexside customs for more than a month now and it works awesome. I am running the stock battery with four 55 watt halogens, two led whips, stock headlights, led dome light, and a hand held spot light plugged into lighter receptacle and have not killed the battery to date. When i ran the 4 halogens without the stator i killed the battery in about 30-45 minutes. At idle the stator charges roughly 12.6-12.7 but at a 1/4 throttle or roughly 1800-2100 rpm's it charges steadily at about 14.6. Talk to Endi at sidexside customs, he set me up as a test car and should be close to release if he hasnt already.:wave:

#11 ·
It's the same thing, the difference is installing an upgraded system in the factory location or adding an external alternator and having another belt, backet and pulleys. All the pricing I've seen is in the $450 - $500...but a 60 amp alternator (if it keeps the factory spec of 14.1V max output) would be ~850 Watts.

#12 ·
For my application - MUD, I would probably go with the stator so it is internal and clean. The alternator would probably work but more pieces to break and go wrong for me, although the extra power would be nice!

#29 ·
I guess I am the first one to acually purchase the 500W stator kit directly from RM stator instead of being a testor for them. It didn't work too well, not blaming them, I should have asked more questions about the system first. It was a simple install, upon checking it with a volt meter all seems great @ about 2500 rpm & above. I go on my first ride out into the mountains north of Phoenix and the battery is dead 25 miles into the trail! The problem I think was the trail I was on was quite rough so you have to go rather slow. Aparently not enough RPM to charge battery at the slower speeds. Thats with just the engine running, no Hid lights, head lights, or any other electronics for that matter. Get back to the house (next day) and find the wires on the stator are melted through the insulation, must have been too much of a load charging the battery back up at higher rpms on the smooth part of the trail, not sure. They want me to send the kit back so they can check it out.

#35 ·
We just installed the 500 watt Stator upgrade from SXS Customs. I found the install very straight forward and the kit COMPLETE with factory gaskets for all 3 parts (Engine case, water pump and engine cover). A very nice touch to have a complete kit, I might add. We did a BUNCH of upgrades so we have not fired up the Teryx yet but I will post my results in a couple of days.

Here are the things we added so far:
500 watt Stator from SXS Customs
Fusion Head unit with INTERNAL I-pod docking from SXS Customs
HID head light upgrade kit with true HI/LO switching from SXS Customs
800 watt amp, speaker pods and bass pod from SSV Works
40" LED Lightbar (not sure who we are getting that from yet...lol...but I will be ready for it)
PWR radiator and fan from DASA Racing
PWR remote oil cooler from DASA Racing
And rumors of a new water pump impeller from DASA Racing (Will verify this tomorrow)

SXS Customs has stopped by twice to check things out and has been monitoring the install since day one which has been a great safety net. I have nothing to say but great things about Endi and his company. No matter what time I have called him he has always answered the phone or got right back to me within an hour or so...

Problems do happen in the world of upgrades and it is a GREAT feeling when the company takes a personal interest in your install...I know SXS Customs does with every one of their customers...

Lastly, if you are going to do any after market exhaust with your build? I don't think very many exhaust will accommodate a alternator kit so you better double check your fitment before you make a commitment to either the exhaust or the alternator kit...you may just HAVE to go with the 500 watt stator option...besides...I wasn't real comfortable with that belt spinning that fast under my butt...but thats just my 2 cents...:p

#36 ·
Here are the things we added so far:
500 watt Stator from SXS Customs
Fusion Head unit with INTERNAL I-pod docking from SXS Customs
HID head light upgrade kit with true HI/LO switching from SXS Customs

SXS Customs has stopped by twice to check things out and has been monitoring the install since day one which has been a great safety net. I have nothing to say but great things about Endi and his company. No matter what time I have called him he has always answered the phone or got right back to me within an hour or so...

Problems do happen in the world of upgrades and it is a GREAT feeling when the company takes a personal interest in your install...I know SXS Customs does with every one of their customers...
...:p
So Endi If I buy a bunch a more stuff from you, will you stop by my house a couple of times to check on things. :p :lol2:

Bump on my PM. I have given up on the bumper so just the rest if possible.

#39 ·
Now your talking...

In terms of the bumper he was advised... I can beat him up some more for you if you like... They are in the middle of a move to a new place but that is no excuses for him not to get back to you.

In all honesty if you were close I would stop by as I have done it before with other but that is a long drive up to you...

#42 ·
Guys Endi put a stator in my Rex and has given me support to present day with his product. Endi and Bob with PDS Fabrications are a class act when it comes to customer service. My Teryx has 4- 55 watt halogen lights and has operated flawlessly since the installation of the stator. I would recommend this stator and SidexSide Customs to anyone interested in this product.:D

#43 ·
Hi guys we just sent 5 more of our new alternator kits over to the shop today they now feature a engine mount bracket that will work with stock pipes or a muzzys set up ... and dont worry about the belt being under your ass unless your stupid enought to ride a round with out a seat .....
It also features a heavy duty gates gt2 belt

heres is a installed picture of mine sorry about the dirt

#44 ·
hello again, greetings from mexico (sorry for my english)

since i started this post, i beleive that i must tell you what happy i am since i bought and installed the sxs customs 500 w stator.

my teryx charges smoothly at 14.7 when i am going at low speed i dont have a rev meter but i think it is at 2,000 rpm when this happen (14.7).

i am running the following FYI:
- 2 35 w HID lights replacing the original bulbs
- 3 rigid industries 10" led bars (i think they are 38 watts each one)
- 1 jl audio 500 watts amplifier
- 4 kenwood 6.5 speakers
- 1 loud horn
- stock tail ligths plus 3 led stop lights
- 4 small led lights that are used as "turn lights" and hazzard lights

when everyting is on, the voltimeter shows about 12.5-12.8 volts (when cruising)

i have made stops at the beach and turn the stereo on for about an hour and the teryx starts flawlessly and the stereo kicks ass...!!!

thanks for reading!

p.s. also endi and the guys from sxs customs gave me very good attention.

Attachments

#46 ·
I do not have this equipment, however, I am more than happy to tell everyone that if something goes wrong, Endi with SxS Customs will make it right. I have know him for quite some time and he does not mess around...if it does not work, he will make things right.

#47 · (Edited)
quote=EL INMORALISTA;26184]hello again, greetings from mexico (sorry for my english)

Mucho Gracias Amigo...

When I get the courage to come down will have a few Cervezas.

Thanks for the Kind words guys... It just our way of doing business we feel you not a customer but a client and some of you have become part of the family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.