Battery Tray - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Electrical Discussions Kawasaki Teryx electrical discussions.
Lighting, audio, GPS, communications, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
CommanderTalk.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Battery Tray

So as we are all aware, the placement of an additional battery in the Teryx seems to be an issue. Looking under the drivers seat where the existing battery is, it does appear that it was not the best use of space. I wonder if someone could fab up a tray to either have an additional battery placed in there, or utilize a full size Optima for example.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 AM

Diesel give Ian at call at rpm he is supposed to be working on this for us. I think he is putting a Optima under the seat. You know you want to stop by anyways so get us an update.

Too much is neverenough
2003 duramax dually for towing
2004 Gearbox toyhauler 30fs
2006 limited yfz 450 mine
2003 Pred 500 wifes
1986 4trax 250R sons
1997 300ex daughter
2006 250ex daughter
2008 Teryx ours
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:06 AM

I put a dual battery set up in the dash here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_00047.jpg
Views:	1440
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_00048.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_00046.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	150  

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
CommanderTalk.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERENOUGH View Post
Diesel give Ian at call at rpm he is supposed to be working on this for us. I think he is putting a Optima under the seat. You know you want to stop by anyways so get us an update.
Yes I will be speaking with Ian on some other things as well, but this is something that is planned. I just was not sure if anyone had rearranged the battery area under the drivers seat yet.

I will see if I can make it over there today for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifflefan View Post
I put a dual battery set up in the dash here are some pics.
Now that is pretty creative! Looks great bifflefan!

Can I assume that in order to get to them you need to remove the hood?

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 10:20 AM

Yea you have to remove the hood to get to the batteries but I put a conector under the seat so if I need to jump start it I dont need to take everything apart. Plus I have a switch that will link battery 2 back into the main electrical system. So if battery 1 goes bad I can start and run off battery 2. So basicly as long as the stator dosent take a crap I should be ok.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
CommanderTalk.com

Sounds like you really put some through into it.

Now do you run all your accessories from one battery and then just the standard lights, starter, etc from the other?

Also, did you install an isolator so that any accessories running off the second battery cannot drain the main?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 11:02 AM

Battery one is conected to the stock electrical system. Battery 2 runs all the extra stuff I installed. I used a smart relay to seporate the batterys. It only alows battery 2 to charge when battery one has 13.2 volts and when it falls below that it cuts the charge to battery 2 off.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
CommanderTalk.com

Oh very nice, that sounds like a good way of doing it as well. Wonder what the better route is? Isolator or that smart relay that you are using? With your setup, is it possibly for the accessories to drain the main battery if the 2nd battery dies?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 11:38 AM

Accesories wont drain the battery at all. It physicly seporates the batterys so battery 2 can die and battery 1 will still have a charge. Ok so your riding at night and you stop for a cold beverage. lets say 1 turns into a 30 pack and you pass out with the sterio and the driving lights on. When you wake the next day it will start.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
CommanderTalk.com

Ok so essentially it works the same as the isolator does...actually we could be talking about the same thing just using different terms. Nonetheless, that is what I will want to accomplish. The no draining thing, not the passed out in the middle of the desert thing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement