Alternative power question for stereo - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Electrical Discussions Kawasaki Teryx electrical discussions.
Lighting, audio, GPS, communications, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alternative power question for stereo

I just recently bought a brand new '09 teryx. I love it but I had to take it back for a battery replacement already. Seeems the brand new battery was a bad one. No big deal but it would be if I was in the field when it wouldn't start. I have always had ATVs and if I had a battery problem atleast I had a backup with the pull chord. Any way, my teryx has a stereo and it's great but my question is what is my best option for playing the stereo while the motor is not running. The dealer told me I could get one of those small battery jumpstarters and hook it up to my battery and this would keep the stereo running off of the power from the jumpstarter. Has anyone tried this or have a better affordable option, and does this even make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttexas View Post
I just recently bought a brand new '09 teryx. I love it but I had to take it back for a battery replacement already. Seeems the brand new battery was a bad one. No big deal but it would be if I was in the field when it wouldn't start. I have always had ATVs and if I had a battery problem atleast I had a backup with the pull chord. Any way, my teryx has a stereo and it's great but my question is what is my best option for playing the stereo while the motor is not running. The dealer told me I could get one of those small battery jumpstarters and hook it up to my battery and this would keep the stereo running off of the power from the jumpstarter. Has anyone tried this or have a better affordable option, and does this even make sense?
Your best bet is a dual battery setup and not a cheesy battery jump start.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
The stock charging systems are junk and the stock battery is crap. If you are going to run a stereo or wench you need to upgrade the battery, do a dual battery or aftermarket charging system. I had to to run my all crap. I had this problem until I talked to Endi at sidebysidecustoms.

2009 Titanium LE, 10.5 Inch Stateline Lift, Gear Reduction Kit, 30x10.50x15 BFGs, 15" SS212, Gorilla Axels, Water Pump Impeller, Fuel Optimizer, SSV 10" Sub, MTX Thunder 600w and 900w, Autometer Gauges, Odyssey 1200, Alternator, VFJ Clutch, Snorkled, Maier Fender Flares, LED lighting/stobes, SxS Adjustable HIDs, J-Strong Top and Hunter Works Oil Stop Kit.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:38 PM

Dual battery set up with a good isolator (like SurePower Part #1314) or a good old battery lock out switch so atleast you can drain one battery and still have a fully charged one to start with.

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 PM

battery

Quote:
change to an odyssey 925, never have a problem again!, dual batteries and alternators are a waste of $$$$ and weigh too much. you can run your tunes for hours, and still start with no problems!!!!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5193 View Post
change to an odyssey 925, never have a problem again!, dual batteries and alternators are a waste of $$$$ and weigh too much. you can run your tunes for hours, and still start with no problems!!!!!
X2, that would work. Why depend on a battey when can spend a few more and never worry about it again. Put charging system with a bad ass battery, you can run what ever you want and never really worry about it. It's different style of riding down here in east texas. Lots of riding, a lot of on the side of trail blaring music, drinking and partying. Depends on the group how long you sit still and how much you ride.

My suggestion is get the 925 battery then later on ugrade your charging system.

2009 Titanium LE, 10.5 Inch Stateline Lift, Gear Reduction Kit, 30x10.50x15 BFGs, 15" SS212, Gorilla Axels, Water Pump Impeller, Fuel Optimizer, SSV 10" Sub, MTX Thunder 600w and 900w, Autometer Gauges, Odyssey 1200, Alternator, VFJ Clutch, Snorkled, Maier Fender Flares, LED lighting/stobes, SxS Adjustable HIDs, J-Strong Top and Hunter Works Oil Stop Kit.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. They are all good options that I will look into. I love my Teryx but I am noticing that the stock battery is not going to cut it for long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement