Teryx HQ banner

Removing bed and installing plastics

11K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  bubbamace 
#1 ·
HI all I wondered if anyone has removed the bed of their Teryx and then reinstalled the plastics only? I'm trying to lose a little (or lot ) of weight so my Teryx will keep up with a friend's stock Rhino. I've put on the Dynatech CDI and still can't keep up with him at the start. I can eventually catch him, but this is embarassing. He made it up Oldsmobile hill twice and I could only get up 3/4 of the way. He has the stock tires and I have larger ones. I'm wondering if that could be the problem? Anyone have a suggestion?:confused:

#2 ·
Tires are definately the problem.

Tires have to be your problem. Stock Teryx vs. Stock Rhino the Teryx will never be behind in that race. When you put larger tires on you are definately going to lose power. I would have thought the CDI would have given you back everything you lost but it must not have. Your jetting may be off too.

#5 · (Edited)
The tires I have aren't that much bigger. On the front, I'm running 26 X 9R14 and the rears are 26 X 11R14. Would they make that much difference? I'm definetly going to look at the bed delete kit. Thanks for the info. I just have to make up my mind whether it makes sense to put more money in the Teryx or sell it and buy something faster without the speed products to get it up to the 60 plus MPH I want to go. My son is buying a new RZR S and I doubt if I will be able to keep up with him. That will take all the fun out of it, if you all know what I mean.:( . Does HRT have a website? If not, can you give me their phone number?

#4 ·
Their has to be a problem cuz I have both. I have cdi and muzzys only with bed delete. even before bed delete i would smoke the rhino with cdi. You have some type of problem or something is not set up right. Call HRT in Ramona and get their bed delete kit sooooooooo easy to put on!!!! But it has to be tires or something why you are suckin wind??? Or???

#6 ·
I think there are better and less expensive performance mods before the bed delete. I'm not saying that you shouldn't get the bed delete, but there are better bang for the buck mods out there. Check out this article by Hunterworks.

Mild Performance UTV Upgrades - www.Ridesidebyside.com Sponsored by www.hunterworks.com, www.hightechhp.com and www.3stepatvtires.com

You may also want to consider an A/F gauge. Either way, definitely sounds like there is something wrong. My in-laws have a 2008 Rhoino FI and when both vehicles were stock, there was nothing the Rhino could do that my Teryx couldn't. Once I put in a CDI, it wasn't even close.

It doesn't sound to me to be a result of your tires.

#11 ·
I thought about that also. He JUST got it and the only thing done to it is HID headlamps. Stock wheels/tire and engine. I looked it over good. Mine has the Dynatech CDI, spark arrestor pulled and larger wheels. I WANT TO GO 60+ MPH, so I can keep up with the new RZR S, my son has on order. Nothing worse than getting beat by my son. If you know what I mean.:D

#15 ·
I know most of u guys with the bed delete are out west and run in sand. Anyone have one and run in the woods?? Just wonder how muddy I would get without the bed, Im thinking it would be pretty bad!! Dont know if its worth the 100lb wieght loss for my situation!

#16 ·
Hey there xchamp, I also run in the streams and woods at Pinnacle staging located near Lake Arrowhead. Fenders, bed--it doesn't matter. By the time I get done, I'm soaked in water and mud. Its a great way to cool down in the near summer months. My Granddaughter isn't happy unless we are both soaked and all mudded out. I guess if you are worried about the mud getting all over your Teryx or you, I would avoid taking the bed off. I personally don't care. We are laughing the whole time. We also go to Pismo and Glamis which is sand, but I'm for all adventures including mountain climbing. For me, the weight loss will equal increased speed. And that what I need.:D

#19 ·
Hey Teee-rible, I got what you are saying. I just figured that since I don't use the bed, I might as well remove it and take a few pounds off. Everything helps. This is a step towards the 60+ MPH I want my Teryx to go. Hopefully the kit is a bolt in and I will order it from HRT tomorrow, if they are open. Next, a friend of mine Brian Lunes is going to check with the Kawasaki Reps and see what they recommend for an exhaust system. Brian used to work with the Yamaha and Kawasake Factory race teams, then NASCAR and has some friends that know their engines. I mentioned Muzzys and he apparently knew who he was and told me that he builds an outstanding product. I'll wait to buy until he gives me his recommendation.

#18 ·
if you can do a car or truck engine you can do your teryx remember to mark your timing chain and it will be all good. besides it would be just a top end kit making it even better than doing a complete motor build of crank and such. if you need any help you have us here on the forum and not sure where you live but if you were in the valley here around phoenix just bring your teryx by my shop and id be glad to help you

#20 ·
Thanks jeepinbeav, I don't know why I can build a stroker car engine and be intimidated by a two cylinder engine. I will keep your remark about the timing chain in my head for further reference when the work begins. Thanks for the offer regarding information on the forum and your shop. I live in Long Beach, Ca and get out to the river once or twice a year usually this time of year at Quartzsite for a little barganing. If I get in a jam and can't figure my way out of it, a trip to Phoenix, surely wouldn't be out of the question. Thanks again. This forum is great and so are the people on it.

#22 ·
I guess that would be nice to keep the mud off you, but what is the weight going to be. I'm waiting for my bed delete kit from HRT which I ordered a couple of days ago. They told me my tires could definetly be the problem. They stated I probably needed some clutch work and maybe an 840. I'll begin the savings program as soon as possible. Mean while, I'll have to eat crow as my son picked up his RZR S a couple of days ago and is ready to kick my butt. Ouch:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.