Teryx HQ banner

Which Winch???

10K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  cepennington 
#1 ·
Well as you guys can see it is getting time to get the Teryx and I am trying to get my accessory list itemized. I want a winch and I would like any and all opinions you guys may have. I am looking at the Warn RT 30 winch at this time. Will I need a winch mounting plate or is there a place to mount the winch already on the Teryx?

#2 ·
Hmmm well I know other members have winches, so you should see the information trickle in.

I do know that there is a winch mount fo the stock front end setup on the Teryx. Also, there are a couple companies make winch mount bumpers for the Teryx as well.

#4 ·
#5 · (Edited)
the 3000lb is to light of a winch for teryx, we use the warn 4000lb units. they do cost more than the china ones, but it will work when needed/relied upon. also on the custom bumpers, not to knock them. I wouldn't recommend mounting winch in front of the radiator. the kawie vtwin is known to run hot and it will make a big difference. if your going that route, get some header wrap on the pipes and engine ice in the rad. will cool it around 20 degrees. header wrap is just for your comfort.

#6 ·
RT30 too light??? This weekend I did a fair amout of work with the RT30 I installed, bending corral panels back in shape. With parking brake on...foot on brake, the RT30 will pull the Teryx. To me anything stronger overpowers the weight of the Teryx. Why do you consider it too small?

#7 ·
I am not a winch guy by any means but Warn is a well know name and can't be beat. As far as 3000 vs 4000 I tend to agree that a 3000 lb winch seems to be plenty. The Teryx only weighs around 1200 lbs depending on mods. Add into the mix a good snatch block and 3000 should be plenty I would think.

#8 ·
XT30 SPECIFICATIONS and PART NUMBERS:
Part Number: 76500
Rated Line Pull: 3000 lbs.
Motor: 12V DC, .9hp permanent magnet, sealed
Control: Wireless control system and sealed handlebar-mounted mini-rocker control switch
Geartrain: All-metal 3-Stage Planetary
Gear Ratio: 154:1
Duty Cycle: Intermittent
Clutch (freespooling): Sliding pin and ring gear
Brake: patent-pending disc brake
Drum Diameter/Length: 2"/2.9"
Weight: 13.4 lbs.
Rope: 50' synthetic, 3/16" diameter
Fairlead: Roller
Recommended Battery: 12 Amp/hour minimum for winching
Battery Leads: 6 gauge
Warranty: Limited Lifetime (valid in USA and Canada only)

12V DC PERFORMANCE SPECS:
Line Pull Lbs. Line Speed FT./min Motor Current Pull by layer layer/Lbs.
0 18 14 amps 1/3000
1000 13 67 amps 2/2580
2000 8 125 amps 3/2220
3000 4 198 amps 4/1910

Im going with a 4000pd on mine just incase im pulling some mud with me and remember to pull out as much cable as possible because the 3000 pds is on the last roll of the spool only 1910 on the first roll of line

#9 ·
Got the Teryx stuck pretty good on Sunday, I mean Monday AM. My brother and I went for a quick midnight cruise down a pipeline we normally go on, up an old logging road, took the short cut we always take on the race quads and didn't quite make it through a mud hole, didn't help that it was half full of logs from everyone else going through it. So at 3 in the morning when we gave up trying to get it out we started walking. Woke up my buddy and his old lady at 4:30, took them and the 2 Honda quads with 2500 lbs Warn winches to get us out, mind you we didn't spool them out.
Have now ordered the new Warn XT40 winch, the receiver mount for the winch and am going to build a winch plate to go in the factory spot with a 2" receiver, haven't decided whether to buy the Warn disconnect kit for the electrical or buy the parts and make my own. Want to beable to winch both ways when needed! Also comes with a cordless remote control, gotta have the gadgets!
My buddy did buy me a RT25 winch as present not to wake him up in the morning but I am sure I will find another use for it!

#11 ·
Well everyone else has put their two cents in so here is mine.

We sell the RT30 10 to 1 and never had any complaints. The rule of thumb is get a winch twice the weight of your vehicle so if the Teryx weighs 1200lbs plus a passenger then a 3000lb winch is fine. Going up to a warn 4000lb runs your price up when you could just buy a snatch block for $54 then you would double your capacity plus put less stress on your battery and winch.

The winch mount we have for the Teryx is very well thought out and overboard on HD, no it is not cheap and it will work with the 3000lb and 4000lb warn and ramsey winches. It might work with the viper but don't know the bolt pattern of it.

The warn has a limited lifetime warranty.

I'm sure the Viper is fine, just don't know much about it. Hard to believe you can get all that stuff for that price and it be high quality like a warn or ramsey.

Todd
Hunterworks

#12 ·
Yeah, Todd, I ordered one of their 4000# winches. The price was too good to be true, I have'nt had a chance to use it yet, but it seems to be built fairly strong. Just guessing it seems to be a knockoff of a Warn, I'm sure that the quality is not to warn standards, but I thought for $120.00 I'd give it a chance. I have read good and bad about them on the internet, seems some have good luck and others hate them. I'll try it out behind the house, we have some decent hills out back and I'll winch her up a couple to see how it does.

#14 ·
Teryx winch mount kit - kawasaki part #tx750-018

This is what I have in my notes for winches:
- TERYX WINCH MOUNT KIT - KAWASAKI PART #TX750-018

I don't know if it will fit the 4000 lbs winch. I had ordered the XT40 for mine but kind of held off for a bit. Wanted to do the multi-mount set up for front and rear. Was told by salesman that the Warn XT/RT40 winches won't fit the Teryx, have to go with the 3000. Anyone put in a 4000 lbs yet??? May have to get one of Hunterworks mounts!

#15 ·
This is what I have in my notes for winches:
- TERYX WINCH MOUNT KIT - KAWASAKI PART #TX750-018

I don't know if it will fit the 4000 lbs winch. I had ordered the XT40 for mine but kind of held off for a bit. Wanted to do the multi-mount set up for front and rear. Was told by salesman that the Warn XT/RT40 winches won't fit the Teryx, have to go with the 3000. Anyone put in a 4000 lbs yet??? May have to get one of Hunterworks mounts!
I installed the XT40 on mine. If you go to the How To section of this site, you can download the PDF file that outlines the installation of the XT40. You will need Adobe Reader to read the file. You can get it for free on the internet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.