Rock bar/side guards - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx Exterior Discussions Kawasaki Teryx exterior discussions.
Add-ons, graphics, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Rock bar/side guards

Hey guys/gals,

I was kicking around the idea of either ordering or fabricating some rock bars to keep from trashing my side plastics...I took some styling ques from the post about 'DYI Rock Bars' and elaborated on that idea and a friend at a local welding shop did some elaborating as well...these pics were taken on my way home from work friday before the bars were completed. I'll have better pictures when I get it back home and new plastics installed...it offers some leg protection as well as almost complete side plastic protection...

They are attached in 3 places, the bars that run under the middle skid plate attach to the middle of the frame and the top bar attaches just under where the roll cage bolts in..there is minimal 'work' involved on the plastics to get them to fit but otherwise i was somewhat impressed with the job...better pics will be here soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 06:31 PM

Those look great to me. Like the bar coming up to protect the side plastic.

2009 Teryx LE FI
REAL OFF ROAD RIDERS DON'T RIDE WITH FLEAS
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 06:38 PM

I wish they would have designed the factory skids to wrap up around the sides.

Hear that Ricochet????

Nice looking job there.

Marty
2010 Teryx

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

As promised, here are the 'better' pictures of the driver's side of the Teryx...new plastic installed and almost done.

Still waiting on passenger side plastics but they should fit just as well...made putting the new ones on a bit difficult, but nothing a few minutes of standing back and thinking and a dremel tool wouldnt handle.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 02:43 PM

I like the way those look. Have you had a chance to test them yet? How did they hold up? I think you might be onto something there if you were to fabricate a few sets of those for a reasonable price. The round tubing is nice and the look clean. Nice work.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 06:51 PM

nice job look strong.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

They've been somewhat tested...they do a great job, I went on a rocky creek ride soon after I got them...purposely turned into the rocks to see how the sliders would hold up...i ended up with one small ding about the size of a quarter in my driver side...i slid down on a rock and didnt intend on hitting it that hard, but other than the dent and scratches from sliding over rocks they work great. I'll see if i can throw up some pictures of them after they've been 'tested'. They make getting in and out a bit more cumbersome...not really difficult, just you cant just jump out until you get used to the bars being there.

I added the factory fender flares to the Teryx too. I had concerns about the bed clearing on the rear of the bars...but it all works great, they stick out about as far as the flares do so if you end up on your side its all on about the same plane...or seems to be, i havent tested how they act on their side...yet

Pics up soon though...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 AM

I bought the rock sliders bars from UTV Inc. They are good, not too hard to install, I did them myself in a couple of hours. Will post pics later, you can check them out at UTV Inc. (search for rock sliders/nerf bars).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 03:27 PM

Excellent job on the sliders. That is my big complaint on most side x sides. I like to rock crawl and they just eat up the side plastic.

Love to see some one that can fab up stuff. I have a couple of friends like that.

Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Shop ATV/UTV Tires
Shop ATV/UTV Wheels
Current Promotions
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

We're in the process of opening up a UTV shop here ( UTV accessories and custom UTV repair and build ) Actually my stepdad but he's testing a set of the tony's toys 'rock guards' i think they've made out of 3/16" aluminum and cover up the side panels, they seem more like scratch protection than serious plastic protection. But I could be wrong, I've not seen them in action. I know that mine are about 1/2" or so below the profile of the sides so that if I do fall off on something it hits the bar not the unit. Very sturdy...I've used a shop crane to pick the unit up by these bars before. I can see where you could make a set that would be bolt on. But mine are all welded on and actually facilitate removing the side plastics rather easily. Maybe we will get something similar fabbed up minus the leg minder bar. I'm kicking around some ideas for bed deletes and things such as that that are made for down here in the southeast where it has to be tough enough to hold on the fenders and save weight for those of us that dont use the bed and can use the spare weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement