Junkie Fiber Process... - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Junkie Fiber Process...

Here is a step by step detail of the process we do to get some of that "Crazy Paint"we do...this is from a previous post on another forum...it's some Yamaha parts...

Parts start out like this...

First we sand blast the parts...

Then after we wipe them down with alcohol we then use a acid etch primer...

After we prime then we give the parts a wet sanding to make sure they are smooth as possible...

Now we lay down the base coat...

Jakes stuff with a light coat...also some bead locks we are doing for OMF...

Last edited by SandJunkie; 10-08-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

First we measure how much coating material we need and roll it out...

Then we tape it off & cut it...this maintains an edge and keep the material under control once it's in the water...

Then we lay out the material in the water...making sure there are no air bubbles trapped underneath the material...

We set a timer for 50 seconds and while we are waiting we put on surgical gloves to keep the material from getting on our hands and making them slippery...when the 50 second timer goes off we then spray the material with a chemical release agent...this releases the ink in the pattern from the material that holds it together...much like rice paper melts away when you add water to it...the chemical also activates the last layer of paint and turns it to liquid so the ink in the material will etch into the paint and become part of the paint itself...

Here's where it gets tricky...we then dip the part...pushing it through the material and under the water surface using one smooth controlled move...if you hesitate you will cause a void in the pattern or "Double Dip"...meaning the pattern will print over itself...

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Then holding the part under water you pull the steel gates out of the water and hit the pump button so the water pump will clear the surface of the water...this also helps calm down the chemical release agent that is now in the paint...

And here is the product...

We then take the part over to the heated rinse tanks...

And we let the part sit under the water to rinse out all the release...usually takes about 5 minutes...

This is where we will find 1 or 2 minor imperfections in the print...once we air dry the print off we will hand touch up the small imperfections...

Few shots finished with the clear-coat

And there you have it...pretty cool huh?...

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 11:48 PM
CommanderTalk.com

That is wicked...does it work all all material like plastic, etc?

Also, and maybe I am a little dense or it is too late at night, but does the material give it its texture? Or how is that accomplished?

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpowered View Post
That is wicked...does it work all all material like plastic, etc?

Also, and maybe I am a little dense or it is too late at night, but does the material give it its texture? Or how is that accomplished?
We can put the treatment on any hard non porous material...metals, plastics..wood...anything that can fit into my tank? I can dip...

Think of it as a newspaper...with all the print?...The print is ink right?...so if you were to lay that newspaper in the tank and spray the liquid release agent on it? Then the paper would dissolve and the newsprint would float on the surface...then stick to the part being dipped...

It's the same process as a nice wood grain dash in a fancy car or truck?...thats not really wood but a ink print of wood over plastic....same same...there's over a thousand prints we can use...like these...

You get the idea?....
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:17 AM
CommanderTalk.com

Ya I actually did some reading about it and totally understand how it is done now.

I love it looks very cool

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:26 AM

That is some CRAZY stuff!! WOW. Thanks for sharing!!!

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:57 AM

Yea, that is impressive. Looks great!

So, how much does it cost?

Thanks.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 AM

Damn. Nice work. The Teryx is going to look good when you get it done.

Andy
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Build Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by travdude View Post
Yea, that is impressive. Looks great!

So, how much does it cost?

Thanks.
It depends on the part size and complexity...since I just got the Teryx I'm hoping to have a price list one day...lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement