rear facing rear bench? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

rear facing rear bench?

I was wondering if anyone has mounted one of the benches rear facing? I am interested in doing this so adults can crawl back there to get them back to our hunting camp. I see that alot of people are putting them in, but forward facing. Am I wrong? If you are more than 4 feet tall is it completely wrenching to get in and out of that seat. If anyone is doing what I am asking about I would love to see some pics.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 07:33 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Likely they are not...the first thing that comes to mind is momentum, if you gas it, people in a rear facing bench will obviously fly forward, not against the back of a seat.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

regarding momentum. Alot of you guys are placing five point harnesses in these things with your seats. They keep you in your seats don't they. I am a pilot by trade, and in the aviation world five point harnesses are meant to keep you in your seat as well. I have done pleanty of outside manuvers (negative G Load) and I stayed in the seat just fine with the use of these five point harnesses, and actually a lap belt would have done the trick just fine. Would it be unsafe to mount the seat rear facing? Is there somthing structurally that would prohibit me from doing so? I have seen alot of golf carts with this done, and surley am not the only person who would like the ability to put a 3rd or 4th adult in this thing.

Thanx,
Mark

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 07:06 AM

As long as your not going crazy with abrupt maneuvers that your passengers would want to see coming.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 09:07 AM

I have a bench that is put in only for summer months, facing rearward. Its just for getting around at the river, boat launch, store, etc. Works out great for two adults, tailgate comes off, plenty of leg room.

Not the safest, but neither is my golf cart.

I love it, works perfect for moving my friends around when its 110 plus outside.

But for duning, not on your life. Back bench, stays at home during the G season.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

stonehengechimp,

What you are talking about is exactly what I am talking about. I am in phx. and I just need to get people from party to party in the neighborhood, and move people around while at the deer camp. I have never been to the "Dunes" nor do I ever plan on it. I bought this thing as a "grocery go getter", and to trail ride while hunting. All this racing stuff and duning stuff just isn't for me, I guess I am getting old. So if you got any pics of your setup I would love to see how it looks.

Mark
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:19 PM

I have a bench seat from a ford windstar van with headrest mounted backwards in mine. Put three lap belts in for my three little girls, works out great, I just take it easy with them in, usually trail riding at less that 15 mph.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

do you have any pics of that install?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 07:50 AM

I purchased the utv jump seat from cabelas and mounted it facing rearward and it works great.Just pull 4 pins and take it out its pretty simple.I don't do no major trail riding with it but it works great for hauling kids or adults around the neighboorhood.It also has two lap belts in it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyTeryx View Post
I purchased the utv jump seat from cabelas and mounted it facing rearward and it works great.Just pull 4 pins and take it out its pretty simple.I don't do no major trail riding with it but it works great for hauling kids or adults around the neighboorhood.It also has two lap belts in it.

Thats almost the same as I did, quick pinned it in for easy access, and it works great for just putting around.

I cant find any pics, sorry and its in the winter/dune mode, so it will be a few months before that seat gets back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement