Teryx pushes itself when turning - hard to turn - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Teryx pushes itself when turning - hard to turn

This is my first UTV and I'm coming from a golf cart (with a +6 long travel). But that golf cart really turns easier and smoother than this Teryx.
When I'm turning on gravel, I feel like my front tires are really pushing sideways and just not grabbing and turning this car very well.
Maybe it's normal and I'm just used to my narrower golf cart? What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 10:05 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Ya I found that the stock suspension does push a tad. I will have more feedback on my LT kit after this weekend

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think the weight of the vehicle compared to the golf cart will make a difference and the gravel is not helping.

After owning just about all UTV's the Teryx handles as about as good as it gets from the factory.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

The golfie is actually up around 1000 lbs. I've been told it's because the rear of the Teryx is locked,but I'm not sure that's it just yet because if it's locked why do I have the lock option next to the shifter...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 07:52 AM

The rear is locked, I think that is why it pushes a little. The diff lock control is only for the front axle.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travdude View Post
The rear is locked, I think that is why it pushes a little. The diff lock control is only for the front axle.
There is a huge difference in the way it handles and steers when I pull that lever back even in 2WD. Obviously that would explain why it steers the way it does, but I'm still not sure it's locked (or I don't fully understand the definition of 'locked').
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 PM

Imagine the rear end of the Teryx like that of an ATV with a solid axle. When you turn to the left, the left rear tire has got to slip because it's turning the same revolutions as the right but in a shorter distance. Notice that it chews up the grass or leaves lots of rubber on pavement.

Now, in 4wd when you pull the diff lock back, the front does the same thing. Both axles are "locked" to turn at the same rpms (pulling the same) and that is why it is harder to steer. You can progressively control how much "slip" the Teryx front diff has by how far back you pull on the lever. The farthest back, the front axles are locked together. The farther to the front there is a little give in that one tire will pull harder than the other.

If your pickup had a locked rear axle 100% of the time you would chew through tires like crazy because each time you turn you would literally be shaving tread. That's why they have an "open" differential. Some have limited slips in that when spin is detected, they will lock together to pull evenly.

There now, clear as mud?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 03:46 PM

I find that when I am on the trails and trying to go fast that it pushes into the corners in 2x4, putting it into 4x4 makes it a little better because the front end can pull itself out instead of the rear tires pushing you down and into the corner. I know it makes me faster and I feel a little better in 4x4 on the trails especially when in tight corners. Try it out and see what you think! Maybe on gravel it will still want to slide and push because that is just the nature of gravel, on hardpack trails though 4x4 is the way to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement