Brake adjustments. - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Brake adjustments.

Hey guys I did a search and all I found was the parking brake issues.
My issue is my regular brakes during normal driving. I push the pedal clear to the floor and it just doesn't really cram the teryx to a stop. The brakes are very poor. Is there an adjustment I can make to get these brakes to grab better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:25 PM

Does the pedal feel soft? If so, you might have air in the lines and need to bleed it out. If your just looking for the pedal adjustment, losten the lock nut up on the top of the pedal...turn the pushrod until your within 2-10mm pedal play.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 PM
CommanderTalk.com

My vote was for air in the lines. Let us know if that adjustment works, otherwise, look at purging the brake system.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

no tips on bleeding the brakes in the owners manual. Anyone have a service manual they can xerox or tell me how to do it?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:58 PM

Hey fiver my bleed screw on the rear came lose on a ride a while back. Had to bleed etc... JUst push pedal down, unscrew bleeder while pushing pedal down once all the way down close bleeder. repeat till pedal feels good....or take to dealer and say fuckin fix it buddy.....
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Waytay. I'll play with that tonight.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Well, I bled the brakes and they are definately okay. But then the pedal seemed to go to the floor even easier after I did that. I got to lookin' closer, crammed head up between the front tires and the hood and looked at the master cylinder. It's dryer than a popcorn fart! The damn service guy didn't top up my brake fluid! I have about 3 hours on it since I bought it (5hrs total). I don't think I can ruin anything with the system empty like that can I? I obviously had SOME fluid in there since it did stop for me as shitty as it did...

It's gonna a whole lot cheaper for me to run 2 miles up the road to Kragens and buy some brake fluid than load this thing up and haul it into the dealership and make them fix it for free. But I need to make sure nothing can possibly be ruined that I SHOULD take it to the dealership for first.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 05:08 PM

finding the resivoir empty i would refill and re-bleed, a power bleeder works way better than the push and release method. you can get a cheap one at harbor freight or someplace like that, i use an air powered bleeder on my jeep and it works awesome, also a one man job!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 PM

FiveFlat, fill it up with fluid and get someone to help you bleed the brakes again. Start by pumping the pedal a couple times, then tell them to hold it down. Open your rear bleeder. Always bleed the back brakes first. Close the bleeder and repeat the pump them up and then hold it down to bleed. Continue to bleed until there is no more air coming out then go to the front. Repeat with the left front then the right.. DON'T FORGET TO CHECK THE LEVEL IN THE MASTER CYLINDER WHILE BLEEDING. You don't want to let it go dry again or you just wasted you time. Good Luck.

2009 Teryx LE FI
REAL OFF ROAD RIDERS DON'T RIDE WITH FLEAS
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 06:13 PM

The best part about a hydraulic system is no damage if all the fluid is out, just prevents operation (in this case applies pressure to the brake cylinder). Run to Kragen and get some fliud, grab a buddy and hand him a beer - sit him in the driver seat and tell him to pump the brake pedal. Bleed per the instructions above - passanger rear, driver rear, passanger front then driver front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement