Engine Brake Actuator - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
CCF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Engine Brake Actuator

Hello all.

This is my first post and unfortunately I have a small problem.

I understand the engine brake actuator is suppose to buzz a few times when the ignition is turned off, but mine will go through its normal cycle and then continue buzzing with a brief 1/2 second break every 5 seconds or so until I either disconnect the battery or unplug the actuator itself.

A little history: This past weekend was the first time out in the dirt. I was running a VDI ignition for the first 20 miles (approx.) until it the car died on me. I looked the Teryx over and tried for 5 minutes to get it to re-start but no luck. The LED light on the VDI would not light up when the key was turned on. I swapped the VDI out for the stock CDI and it fired right up. Ever since then my engine brake actuator (I believe that's what it is) has been buzzing almost non-stop with the key removed from the car.

So I really have two issues, one if the actuator non-stop buzz, and the other is my VDI appears to be dead.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 12:49 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Hmmm yes it does sound like you may have a bad CDI, in regards to the actuator that is a new one...have not heard of this happening. Now in my case it actually cycles a couple times as I have to engine braking anymore due to the clutch kit, however, not sure why with yours it is just continuing to cycle?

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
CCF

It seems to be a really weird deal. I have read about the issues some were having with the older VDIs and engage/disengaging 4WD. I was not having any trouble engaging or disengaging 4WD with my VDI. My VDI has just gone out like a light and a couple hours later after switching back and running the stock CDI is when I noticed the engine brake actuator making continuous noise long after the key has been removed.

Does anyone know where the engine brake actuator signal even comes from? What is telling the actuator to engage/disengage?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 01:13 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Hmmm may want to give the folks at VDI a call and ask them about that, or possibly call the dealer you got the CDI from...maybe a reflash is in order?

Now with the actuator you could unplug it, however, I have heard of others having electrical problems with the plug removed.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement