air/fuel ratio meter - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question air/fuel ratio meter

Did mods on the Teryx, hunterworks carb kit, muzzys exhaust, Dalton clutch kit. Think I need to get an air/fuel ratio meter. Anyone have any suggestions on one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 07:55 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Todd and Magellan know the ones they like, I am sure they will post soon...I was spoiled and had the shop tune mine on the dyno

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Dusty,

When we started selling the NGK we were looking for one with a heated wideband sensor and the the NGK was the one with the lowest cost to get those needed functions.

Other allow data logging which is nice and some like it but it cost more and I use my NGK for testing instead of my more expensive data logging one I have.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:22 PM

I used the one from HW aka Todd, The NGK A/F meter worked fine for me. I can't understand something that DP says "I had it tuned on the dyno" The dyno really has nothing to do with it (does it?) except for the fact that the "dyno" also has an A/F meter on it, and that the dyno is only actually measuring (HP) what you have tuned with the A/F meter, is this not right? Please cure my ignorance.
Which in my opinion is the same as me tuning with my NGK...just driving down the road in different speeds and gas pedal increments.
I guess I just don't understand the term "dyno tuned"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:24 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Yes, there is an A/F meter on the dyno...so I suppose using the dyno allows them to fine tune as it goes through the revolutions maybe? Not really sure, the shop knows all of that

Todd, can you help me try to explain how they tune it on the dyno.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 01:29 AM

I am not sure but if I had to guess.

On the dyno just like jetting off the dyno, you drive at low rpm (idle circuit) get the screws right, at about 1/4 to 3/4 throttle and get the main needles/pilot jets right, and then at WOT to get the main jets right. On the dyno the machine just sits there, and on the road, you are hauling ass at times. It also probably involves a load on the dyno to simulate a regular run off the dyno.

I think that is what the deal is for dyno tuning and one of these days I plan to go visit Hunterworks and get my machine dyno'd..

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

Last edited by Magellan; 12-06-2008 at 02:40 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 05:23 AM

Yeah some dyno's have a load control on them, ours does. You can simulate the road instead of having to ride up and down the road.

It is a lot easier to watch the air/fuel ratio numbers and RPM when you don't have to look at the road.

Without load control you can't do it and all you can do is a normal dyno run.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 06:57 AM

I see what you guys are saying, it just seems to me that when it is stated "Dyno Tuned", people (including myself) get the impression that "WOW - DYNO - TUNED! That's what I need to have done!"
When really most of us (99%) Don't need the "dyno" to set jetting or tuning with another instrument when all people need is the A/F gauge.

I have heard other members state in posts that they can't wait to get their machine "dyno-ed" to set jetting and tuning properly, and I am under the impression this can be done properly without having to be "dyno tuned"

Not meaning to shun away business for those that do the "dyno tuning" but I feel it may be an added expense for some that....well....it is not needed.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 08:35 AM

As a dyno owner who does not sell dyno time, you are 100% correct, you don't "need" it to set jetting. The air/fuel ratio gauge is enough.

What you can't do without a load control dyno is program a Power Commander or at least very good.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
As a dyno owner who does not sell dyno time, you are 100% correct, you don't "need" it to set jetting. The air/fuel ratio gauge is enough.

What you can't do without a load control dyno is program a Power Commander or at least very good.
There are systems that can. The wego III w dyna twinscan for my vrod will data log and generate the exact volumetric ratios to enter in the Sert tuning program. Hook it up; put in a back pack go hit the hills for a bit. And it will nail the tuning dead on. But i have not seen that kind of setup for any thing else. But that just a bit off subject.

08 teryx 750 on 14"ITP SS112 and 28"Mudlites
Muzzy Exhaust|Generator cover|Uni Air Filter|Dalton Clutch Kit|Programmable Dyna CDI|HW Teryx Carb/Air Box Kit|vent racing billet OD clutch cover|4500lb viper elite winch (broken) |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement