air filter - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

air filter

my buddy blew his engine this weekend he was told by the dealership that he has sand in his motor and that his air filter was dry and that's its his fault that the sand got in there 1 we didn't know that the air filter was supposed to be oiled and 2 he just took it into service less than 2 months ago for his first service should the filter have been dry by now

he also had it in the shop like just last month because of the oil in the airbox thing they supposedly fixed it but the same thing happened but this time the engine blew up they told him that the front cylinder had 30 lbs and the rear has 40 lbs of compression
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevell27 View Post
my buddy blew his engine this weekend he was told by the dealership that he has sand in his motor and that his air filter was dry and that's its his fault that the sand got in there 1 we didn't know that the air filter was supposed to be oiled and 2 he just took it into service less than 2 months ago for his first service should the filter have been dry by now

he also had it in the shop like just last month because of the oil in the airbox thing they supposedly fixed it but the same thing happened but this time the engine blew up they told him that the front cylinder had 30 lbs and the rear has 40 lbs of compression
Hi chevell27. I hate to be the one to say this, but I clean my filter and oil it everytime I go in the sand. That stuff gets everywhere. I'm not as fussy when it comes to the dirt, but I do clean the filter every other time in the dirt. Maybe its time to contact Four Stroke about a 840 kit.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 02:44 PM

Here is the big issue with the stock air filter. It does not offer a solid clamping surface.

air filter-teryx-intake-photos-013.jpg

DASA RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MOTORS AND SERVICE

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 02:47 PM

We have a complete kit that will solve this issue and give you a hair more HP on top of that.

solid clamping surface for the air filter and the intake boot
air filter-teryx-intake-photos-001.jpg

The complete kit
air filter-teryx-intake-photos-021.jpg

http://WWW.DASARACING.COM
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 04:05 PM

A hand in the air box didn't come stock on my Teryx and I could use a extra hand!!

Don't you know it will allow dirt to come in while your extra hand has it held back???

I couldn't help myself LOL!!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 04:19 PM

chevell27. man that is a shitty story. sorry to hear that. with mine i will run a filter maybe 2 days in the sand they it meets the round file and maybe 4 days in the dirt depending on how dusty it is. these teryxs suck alot of air and it doesn't take long to get full of sand or dirt.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
A hand in the air box didn't come stock on my Teryx and I could use a extra hand!!

Don't you know it will allow dirt to come in while your extra hand has it held back???

I couldn't help myself LOL!!
I have a 09 Sport. How do you clean the air filter (gas or ???). To oil the air filter after being clean do you use W40 or plain motor oil? Thanks

Teryx Sport 2009
Aluminium Top, Custom Windshield, Lowrance GPS, Bumper Braces, Extinguisher, 4000 Viper Elite Winch, Front A-Arm Guard, Rear A-Arm Guard, Extra Brake lights, Muzzy Exhaust, Custom Cage, Crows 4 points, MSD, Uni filter, rear view miror.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx SxS 01 View Post
I have a 09 Sport. How do you clean the air filter (gas or ???). To oil the air filter after being clean do you use W40 or plain motor oil? Thanks
I upgraded to a UNI filter element on the stock filter basket and I use the UNI Filter cleaner and oil and it works great. You spray the filter with the cleaner and work it, let it sit a few minutes then rinse it with water, let it dry then re-oil and reinstall.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx SxS 01 View Post
Dish soap and water. Soak the filter and squeeze the water off (repeat until all the dirt is removed). DO NOT twist the air filter to remove the water. Once it is clean let it completely air dry. I use plain 'ol motor oil in a ziplok bag. Put the filter in and work the oil into the filter. The idea is to saturated the "outer" filter core with oil (and not dripping oil) and keep the "inner" core dry.

Take some o-ring grease (silicon based) or even Vasoline and apply a bead around the ends of the filter. This will help seal the filter element.

Go to the dealer and buy an extra filter (keep it in your glove box). These come pre-oiled, but sometime not enough. This way you'll alway have one ready to go. They are around $5.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_amsoil View Post
Take some o-ring grease (silicon based) or even Vasoline and apply a bead around the ends of the filter. This will help seal the filter element.
IMO ...... the above is most important. If that seal is not good dirt and crap will come right through. That is the worst part about the stock system. The filter should clamp on ..... not seal with grease. The raptor, yfz, banshee and other bikes have been having this same filter setup and MAJOR ISSUES FOR YEARS.

DASA RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MOTORS AND SERVICE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement