Teryx Belt Life???? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Teryx Belt Life????

I have hear lots of talk about checking the belt tension after a few hours. If the belt needs adjusted, how involved is that process?? Do you have to remove the complete belt cover to adjust the belt? Hunter Works has an install video for a clutch kit, is this the same process for belt adust???

I have heard that an after market clutch kit can take care of this problem, is this correct? How does this fix the tension problem?

I don't want to shell out more $$$ right after the purchase of my Teryx. I ride wooded trails, some light rock crawling, typical for central PA and a trip per year to Hatfield McCoy.

Maybe down the road I wouldn't mind buying a clutch kit and some tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 06:57 PM

Gurtie,

The belt adjustment is more in depth than the clutch kit, because you have to take the secondary sheave apart.

The Dalton kit will make your belt last longer.

We have videos on all of it.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Will most Teryx need a belt adjustment after 20 hrs + or - ??

I have had Yamaha ATV in the past with no belt adj or replacement required. The engine braking was to notch as well.

Will a after market clutch kit take care of belt wear and tear?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 08:07 PM

The Yamaha CVT belt system is totally different, better in ways but not so much for performance gains though.

Some people need adjustment quickly and some don't, depends on driving style and what size tires you have.

The clutch kit will make your belt last longer due to better and positive engagement. I have started recommending it after 20 hours so the belt can get broke in and may not need adjusting for a while after that.

Todd

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

What is the proper way to break in a new teryx's belt to increase the belt life. (Stock rims and tires)

What kind of $$ would a good qty clutch kit cost Installed??

I did the same thing when i was reseaching for my new atv. Went with a yamaha and the belt has not been a problem. I am a little concerned about the Teryx from things i have read here and the weight of the teryx.

Please pull me off the ledge!!

A local dealer has a Sport model with my name on it.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Gurtie;

I personally think all the hype about the Teryx belt has been blown way out of proportion. The stock setup is ok but with a clutch kit it definitely is not a problem. I have 27" mud tires and go through a lot of mud and trail riding with no problems what so ever. My belt does not even make any noise or slips at all. I do think that with the current configuration of the clutch and belt system that normal wear and tear on the belt will require perodic maintenance of changing the belt.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtie2000 View Post
Will most Teryx need a belt adjustment after 20 hrs + or - ??

I have had Yamaha ATV in the past with no belt adj or replacement required. The engine braking was to notch as well.

Will a after market clutch kit take care of belt wear and tear?
I can tell you this... After seeing the posts online about the belt issues, I too though to myself, I better check my belt too. So i watched Hunterworks' Clutch kit video and went out and checked my belt deflection. It was at aprox 1.5", WAY out of adjustment (aprox 30 hours, purchased it with 8 hrs). So I figured if i was tearing into the clutch to take out a shim, might as well install a Clutch Kit.

Not to mention that none of my dealers had the tools to take the clutch apart. So, after purchasing the Dalton Clutch Kit with the tools (Thanks Hunterworks) i went at it. But, I have ran into an issue, Taking out the large shim, my belt was a little tight (aprox 5/8" deflection), So back to tearing it all apart, remove the large shim and replace the small shim, make my belt was too loose (just over an inch). So after some looking in the forums, Everyone says its better too tight, then too loose. So i tear it apart yet again, replace the shim back to the small one and left it in. We went out last weekend and the belt squeals when your in gear and have the brakes on. But as soon as you start to go, the squeal goes away.

Now, after being annoyed by the squealing, I went searching for the shim's to put in there to get it within spec. After dealing with the dealers, i am stuck waiting after promises of it arriving so i can install this weekend.

Its not a hard adjustment/change. But for 5.07 per shim, i would highly recommend purchasing a few and keeping them with you just incase your adjustments are like mine and either too much, or not enough.

I would watch a few mins of the Hunterworks video... Go do the step... Come back... etc. It helps alot being able to watch someone do the change and just follow along.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 PM

Gurt,

I think it is too being blown out of proportion. I don't think anyone will get on this or any forum and start a thread about how long there belt is lasting or report their belt is normal. WE only here the bad and it is a minority of people I bet.

The clutch kit will make it last longer but I recommend installing the kit after about 20 hours on the belt so it has stretched some.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:58 PM

I adjusted my belt at 18 hrs and it needed it again at 80 hrs. The belt is still good. But I put different springs in so I also put a new belt in. But the stock belt is still good........I keeping for a spare.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 PM

I have just over 30 hours on my Teryx and no problems with the belt at all. I run it through the Nevada desert in everything from soft sand to rocks ... never so much as a squeel. Still running stock wheels/tires and don't try to break the sound barrier with it, but it isn't treated like a baby either. If a spot starts to get rough I stop and stick it in low range 4X4 instead of trying to force things in high range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement