Insurance and wearing a helmet. I am very lucky. - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Insurance and wearing a helmet. I am very lucky.

I am super sore today and EXTREMELY happy I had a helmet on. If not I would likely not be posting on a forum today.

I was riding with my best friend yesterday (he was on a ATV) in the mountains of NC and I hit a gully to fast and planted it into the bank on the other side then out of that into a few trees, surprised I did not endo the machine. Thank God I had a harness on and my helmet on. There is a big gash in my helmet from hitting hte cage and mirror and my frame is bent big time. The right front wheel is about 1.5 inches above the left and the left is about 1 inch up from where it is supposed to be. You can see how my brand new ThunderHawk Performance front frame gusset is buckled in the middle and the paint popped off. I am VERY lucky and only bruised and a couple of sprained hands and wrists and sore shoulders and breast bone and stomach. Could have been a lot worse...

Will be calling my Farm Bureau of NC Ins man on Monday and seeing what happens.... I pay almost 800 a year for full coverage, it better be worth it...

On to the pics. These were taken with my iPhone and they are very poor quality and do not show nearly how bad this frame is bent and broken, my Canon died in the cold. These photos were taken with the machine up on a lift at eye level. Also, after I crashed yesterday, we pressed the frame gusset with our feet trying to flatten it back out, it was worse than it looks today. I had to drive the machine roughly 3 to 5 miles back to my truck and trailer. In 4x4 I could feel some kind of rubbing and a grinding feeling as I drove and in 2x4 it was less but still pretty much there, I was just happy to get it back on the trailer and get home.

Left side of front frame gusset buckled left front frame is up about an inch.

Right side of front frame gusset buckled, right side of frame is up at least 2.5 inches when you hold a level with the bottom of the machine and where the front is supposed to be.

Right side front frame showing where bend is, right at the factory weld. This is the photo that shows the frame bend. The machine is about 2.5 to 3 inches roughly lower below the windshield measuring up from the ground then it used to be. Both front frame sides are bent like in this picture.

I am posting this to say, that you REALLY NEED to be wearing a helmet when you ride. I shudder to think what could have happened to me without mine. It may very well have been my last ride. My wife would loose our house without my income and you don't want to do that to your families anymore than I would mine. I have an 8YO son as well. Wear your helmets!

I will report back once I have talked to my INS man on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	649.2 KB
ID:	818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	497.2 KB
ID:	820  

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

Last edited by Magellan; 01-25-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
I am posting this to say, that you REALLY NEED to be wearing a helmet when you ride. I shudder to think what could have happened to me without mine. It may very well have been my last ride. My wife would loose our house without my income and you don't want to do that to your families anymore than I would mine. I have an 8YO son as well. Wear your helmets!

I will report back once I have talked to my INS man on Monday.
OhhNoo..no..., that would never happen to me!! I hate to think how many idiots including myself, have that thinking rationale.

Glad to hear your OK..
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:47 PM

glad to hear that you are ok!!!!! and that it didnt endo... that would have sucked bigtime with the new cage on... I also promote HELMETS I wear one no matter what and my 8yr old son wears his also.. Keep us updated on the insurance side of this matter too see how well they take care of it for you

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 01:45 PM

I am glad you are okay. Hopefully your insurance co treats you right! Out of curiosity, do have stock seat belts or 4 or 5 point harnesses?

I wear my helmet as well even though it is hard to imagine hitting the cage with my head as tight as I am strapped in with my 4 points.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

I have 3 point Crowe harnesses and PRP seats with adjustable headrests and I am 6'2 and 270#. I am big enough to hit my helmet getting in and out of the machine as well, especially with the PRP seats on the plastic raised bases. Our ride started out at roughly 30 degrees with a low of 18 yesterday and I had 2 t-shirts, and quilted lined flannel, a light jacket and a big parka on. As we rode it warmed up to about 60 degrees and I took off all the layers but the last t-shirt and stupidly never tightened up my harness, a big mistake. My PRP seats are on the stock seat bases and either it was not latched all the way or somehow it came loose and popped out of the seat mount post and also where it hooks through the loops in the rear and my head went forward enough to hit as well as both my knees jammed into the dash very hard and are now bruised and swollen. My hands are also really sore, both my thumbs are sprained and my pinky on the right hand got jammed pretty good.

It was my mistake to hit the gulley that fast, another mistake to not have my harness tight, but I sure am glad I had a helmet on. I guess I will be installing the metal seat bases, but need to figure out why it popped loose. I am so sore that all I did was take the machine off the trailer and to J & J Automotive, my neighbors, to look at the damage, then back to my garage, then I have been in bed since, until now. Man I am really hurting, and have a HUGE bruise on my ego and probably now my wallet for sure. Luckily I have a very understanding wife who is not giving me hell about being STUPID.

Thanks for the well wishes everybody, I will let you know how it goes with the insurance.

I will be going to a harness that has a crotch strap after this experience as my abdomen is really sore where the lap belt was to high and not where it was supposed to be due to me not tightening it up.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

Last edited by Magellan; 01-24-2009 at 03:52 PM.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 06:23 PM

Angry

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad u are ok for the most part. I too always wear my helmet and ordering a 4pt harness next week.

Your insurance better cover you for $800/yr!!! I just renewed on my stock teryx with progressive, full coverage, $100 deductable, includes up to $3000 worth of upgrades for $135/yr. I need to get my 840 teryx covered yet!!

Keep us posted on you and the teryx healing process!!

08' Teryx LE, FST 840, Muzzys, VDI, Dalton, VFJ Roller, Thunderhawk Performance Race Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 5pt. Crow Harness, 12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks, GBC 8 ply Dirt Commanders, Pro Armor Skids, Team Green Plastic

08' Teryx, Maier Orange Plastic, Thuderhawk Performance 4 Seat Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 4 pt. Harness, 14" Chrome Doughas Diablos w/GBC Grim Reapers, VDI, Dalton
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 08:59 PM

I am glad to hear you are OK!
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM

glad to hear you are mostly alright.
you just kinda solidified my decision to look for some helmets. you know the type od terrain i ride in and typically we dont wear a helment cuz we dont get that fast in the woods. but given the fact you basically ride the same stuff....sounds like an investment that needs to be made.

2008 Teryx

Something to Tinker with

PM me if you are looking for a Service Manual.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Get a helmet for sure.

I feel like I've been run over by a truck. Worse this morning than yesterday. Ouch.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:20 AM

Man after reading this, I am glad you are ok. I hope you get to feeling better and good luck with your insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement