Teryx HQ banner

Clutch Cover

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Magellan 
#1 ·
Does any one make a clutch cover that will retain the KEBS and give the higher top speed?? I have not been able to find NEW one that retains the braking, and I have been told that if you machine the stock cover it will come apart.

#3 ·
I do not believe that is an option my friend.

#5 ·
Well I guess that is what I was meaning. A machined factory cover will still have it, however, a completely aftermarket billet cover will not.

#6 ·
and I have been told that if you machine the stock cover it will come apart.
Has anybody that have the milled cover admitted that theirs has "exploded" or came apart yet? Theoretically, yeah it is possible to weaken the plate with the milling.
UTV Crap has sold many of these and I haven't heard of any coming apart yet, I could be wrong, I just haven't heard of it yet. Puddle Jumper has one and he's been running his quite some time now, he hasn't had any problems, and I am sure he is nice and easy on his...LOL.:D
Other than milled or modified original plates, I haven't heard of one out there on the market.
..I've heard that, most that bought the one that disable the braking are very happy with theirs too.

#7 ·
I know that I have not heard of any of the machined stock covers failing.

#9 ·
How tight is the fit to the plastic cover? Could a supplier not add/build up the outside of the metal clutch plate and make it safe but still not disable the KEBC? Is it just because its that much more cost effective to use the stock plate instead of starting with a piece of metal and using a CNC machine? To me safe and functional KEBC is worth more $ than a machined stock cap that isn't safe or disables the engine braking. The question then is just how much more.

#13 ·
To me safe and functional KEBC is worth more $ than a machined stock cap that isn't safe or disables the engine braking.
Guess I don't understand what is being said here? The machined or milled clutch cap is the "ONLY" one that retains the KEBC capabilities, and the machined or milled cap has been proven to be safe......so far. Call me a cheap bast#@$* if you want, but if I was just looking for longer duration engagement for MPH, I would buy the milled cap. I can assure you that is the only purpose the milled cap serves, it is not going to engage any faster than your stock clutch.

#10 ·
Thank for all the info. I guess I was under the understanding that the braking was controlled all the time. Since it is below 5mph I am not that worried about it, we just do a lot of rock climbing and high mountain trail riding and did not want to ride the brakes too much. What cover has everybody been using? (machined, or Billet)

Thanks

#14 · (Edited)
Teerible
I just asked if anyone is making a taller or beefed up milled cap (if it would even fit), and/or if it is really required? I haven't seen UTV Craps cover in person or know how much metal is actually removed. (I have only seen the outside picture with the packaging/sticker on it).

I think UTV CRAP created a great product. It increases top end and keeps the KEBC. Dalton's doesn't do that right now. The Dalton disables the KEBC (which usually gives a little more top end too). I know nothing about Rez Motors cap but the picture on this thread.

I was just saying I'd be happy to pay a few more $ if I knew a cap worked well and was safe with a higher hp motor. I'm sure UTV Craps cap is safe with a stock motor with bolt ons or John wouldn't be selling it. I know Puddle Jumper has one and he has some bolt ons and hasn't said there is any issues.

However, I don't know if a milled cap can stand up over time with a BBK. I doubt anyone does, as the Teryx hasn't been out long enough yet. Some of the guys on this site are leading the field in pushing the limits of a Teryx. This is one of the sites you will likely find out about any issues. The suppliers on here are often leading the industry in creating new aftermarket parts for a relatively new machine. I thank you all for it :good: and this is one of the reasons that this is one of my favourite sites on the web.

I have seen and seen pictures of shaved clutches blow apart on Kawi ATVs. These are all with big hp modified v twin motors or on big shots of NOS. Its expected when you are pushing the hp limits and you lighten the CVT something may give. Is a shaved cap going to be the weak link? I hope not, but maybe?

Not sure what engagement has to do with this either? That has more to do with spring (tensions) and weights(grams, curves and notches) and not the cap, which I thought would only affect top end. If that's not true, I'll happily be educated on what is correct.

Hope I got my thoughts across better now and didn't offend you. That was not my intension.

#15 ·
Offended? Unless you stole my tricycle or drank my last beer, I ain't offended, and yes I guess my reply was shortsighted. I thought I had read that the statement was "the milled clutch cover was unsafe and disabled the KEBC." I understand your question now was inquisive and not a declaration of it being unsafe and disabling the KEBC.
That was really the only thing I was answering to in your post, the other comments weren't meant as a response to what you posted, it was just thrown out comments.
Yes engagement was a poor choice of words by me, since this is controled by flyweights and pressure. With the milled clutch, the springs do extend further - hence pushing the belt higher and creating the the higher MPH...or that was my understanding of it, educated no...just my understanding of it.
I myself do not think the milled clutch cover would with stand the higher horsepower motors either, I for one am not going to take that chance, but who knows...untill we start hearing about the covers exploding.
I had heard that the teryx clutch cover is not the same as the brute force clutch cover, why would it be since there is 500 to 800 lbs difference, but that I am unsure of too.
Basically my comments about this clutch cover was to say that it has worked it still enables the KEBC and is cheap for those wanting to go that route.
The last time I made that comment somebody else out there said I was a cheap bastard, not you, so I was just adding that, if it works and there is no problem with it and it is 100 bucks cheaper, then use it.

#16 ·
My dalton clutch kit/OD cover stays fully engaged in L down to 4mph. I have an 09 that is stock with KEBC still working. I prefer the Dalton setup.

I have never heard of a milled cover failing either, but I have heard a couple of people say, not the UTV crap one, but that some brand that was supposed to not disable KEBC did in fact do so, or at least to the point it was not like it was. One of the people mesg'd me through youtube asking if the Dalton disabled KEBC and how I liked it disabled, I think the other was on the other forum back when I went there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.