KEBC clanking - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

KEBC clanking

With ranch work, I do a fair amount of low speed riding using low gear. I’m getting tried of the clankity clank clank clank..

If you disable the KEBC, does it stop the clanking? How do you disable it? I seem to recall a picture of the electrical connection, but couldn’t tell where it was….or whether you can get to it without taking all the plastic off.

I think Todd said he took the fork out. Where and how do you get to the fork? And is it neccessary to do that to stop the clanking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 09:39 PM

I have disconnected the engine braking in the past. I had to take the plastic off to get to the connection. If you follow the wires from the engine brake on the converter drive cover you will run into the connection. Now I have a vent racing clutch kit and plugged the engine brake back in. The engine brake no longer engages at low speeds and cured my headache. The engine brake still works at higher speeds.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 05:29 AM

You can just unplug it, it shouldn't be clanking though.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
You can just unplug it, it shouldn't be clanking though.
Maybe clanking isn't the right word, but it's what I call it. Not sure what other label to put on it. But at slow speed in low...I let off the gas, and it clanks. From what I read on this forum and many other places that's the KEBC engaging, and the fact there is a lot of slop in the design.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 07:05 PM

the plug for the KEBC is right behind the plastic above the tunnel where the cvt air intake is...i unplugged mine when i did the overdrive plate mod
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 07:20 PM

The connection is behind the plastic, down low, on the right side of the gear shifter. Next to the CVT Intake. Attached is a picture of the location of the motor. Just follow the wire to the connection.
You should be able to disconnect the plug to stop the Teryx from jerking in low gear once you take your foot off the gas.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Teryx1.pdf (51.0 KB, 171 views)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcummins View Post
Maybe clanking isn't the right word, but it's what I call it. Not sure what other label to put on it. But at slow speed in low...I let off the gas, and it clanks. From what I read on this forum and many other places that's the KEBC engaging, and the fact there is a lot of slop in the design.
I've been complaining about that noise since I got mine. I went back to the dealer and even drove a new '09 to see if I would hear it. Put it in low stepped on the gas, let go, and clunk. Two different dealers that sell loads of Teryxs told me its normal and they all have it. Its rear gear lash. I didnt try disconnecting the kebc on mine yet, to see if that gets rid of it. I would imagine it would lessen it, because if the machine is allowed to roll free-er the rear gears wont lash when you let go of the gas(my opinion). Let me know how it works out. I will try it myself as soon as I get a chance.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 08:05 AM

mine has always done it as well.

in fact i had a friend drive mine and the kebc disengaged and it started clunking and he was like "are we all right",i said yes its normal

red le
30" XXL's
nukes
custom radio
belt snorkels
dyna
HW carb kit
overdrive plate
xpatv lift
super atv bumper
Night Owl Hids
k&N billet intake
grant wheel
yellow top optima
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 10:30 PM

engine brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcummins View Post
With ranch work, I do a fair amount of low speed riding using low gear. I’m getting tried of the clankity clank clank clank..

If you disable the KEBC, does it stop the clanking? How do you disable it? I seem to recall a picture of the electrical connection, but couldn’t tell where it was….or whether you can get to it without taking all the plastic off.

I think Todd said he took the fork out. Where and how do you get to the fork? And is it neccessary to do that to stop the clanking.
OK....Heres the scoop. I just got back from the dealer. I dropped mine off for the 20 hour service (could of did it myself, but I wanted it on record for warranty purposes). Two techs that work on Teryx's all the time took mine for a ride and said that the clanking noise is perfectly normal. It is heard on '09's as well. Its gear lash, caused when you get off the gas. If you disable the engine brake you will hear it less because you will coast more and not create the lash caused by the engine braking. The way I feel is this. If its normal, I can live with it. If it wasn't normal I would want to fix it.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Build Sponsor

It seems that many newcomers get hung up about dissabling the kebc because they think they want it ,and it is understandable because they do not know what to expect and they think they need it,..but in actuality,most prefer to be rid of it and would never look back once it is gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement