Typical new guy post - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Typical new guy post

I went back over 10 pages and didn't see the new guy post so I figured you guys are over due. I am a dirt bike guy for life but just had 2 boys in the last few years and I wanted to get the wife (non dirt biker) and the 2 boys out on the trail. No one in our group has a SXS but one of them has a golf cart and they really seemed to have fun playing around on that but I wouldn't try going very far from camp on that thing and it doesn't come close to keeping up with me on my bike even with me just cruising. So I figure I need a SXS. Of course I thought I needed a Rhino but then after a few minutes on the internet figured out that I needed a Teryx right? This is just for the wife and kids and for me to fool around on sometimes. I am figuring the 09 Teryx sport and I want to have four seats and a cage obviously. Any advice? I don't really want to spend a bunch of money but I don't want crap either. Also my toy hauler only has about 74 1/2" of clearance under the bunks and I saw Kawasaki says the over all height is just under 76". Are the aftermarket 4 seat cages any shorter or do I got to deflate my tires or what? Can I live with the stock seats and belts up front or do those got to go for anything worse than a fire road? I ride in the SoCal deserts. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 05:48 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You can cut down the stock cage or go with an aftermarket cage (several of them are lower). Deflating the tires would also work.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 05:51 AM

if your bunks are electric try and take the electric cut off swith out of the track near the top. that should give you enough room to get the stock cage teryx in your touhauler. i had to do that with mine, it barely fits but thats good enough right?

09 monster sport teryx
08 kx450f
08 mega lite toyhauler
04 polaris 800 sled
04 chevy 2500
00 polaris 800 sled
98 caravelle
96 trans am
83 girlfriend

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

On mine there isn't an electric cut off switch. The bunks are all the way up against hard stops on the tracks. I will be having to go with an aftermarket cage anyway obviously if I am going make it a four seater unless I just went with an add on cage. Are the majority of them shorter anyway or am I going to really have to look around for one? What about the seats and stuff for the rear? What are some decent ones that are a good value? My two boys are only 2 & 3 so I am assuming I am going to have to strap their car seats in. Are the stock seats and belts doable up front or should I definitey replace those too? Once again looking for best bang for the buck stuff. I saw a few places offer the turnkey solutions where you buy the whole rig from them. Do you think I would save money that way or is it better to buy the Teryx myself at the dealer and then add the stuff myself?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 06:18 PM

My little guy is 4 and last summer when he was 3 1/2 I had him in the front seat in his car seat with the stock seat belt holding the child seat to the factory seat, no problems! Now I have had him in a booster seat (with back) and he uses the factory seatbelt for himself, the other way with the 5 point harness that is built into the child seat and the seat strapped to the factory seat, (if you understand what I am saying and not getting too long winded here on kids seats), was way more secure than just the booster seat, so saying all of this, my point is the child seat works good in the front. Hope this makes sense!

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:12 PM
AXO

Talking

If money is no object, buy a turnkey one. You can save some money if you shop around and piece it together. I don't have $18k to $20k to buy a turnkey model so I am building it in stages. I bought an 09 Sport and just did my rims and tires. Next is a 4 seater cage with seats. The front seats are comfortable. Seat belts for agressive riding suck. The first time I attempted to jump my Teryx the front wheels never left the ground. The back wheels lifted about 3 feet off the ground. This launched me out of my seat and almost over my steering wheel when the three point seat belt locked and caught me. Unfortunately all my weight was caught on the left side of my neck. Needless to say my neck is still sore 2 weeks later. I am investing in some nice padded 3 inch belts and some Elkas in the future. They make aftermarket cages that are 4 inches shorter. My problem is I live in Florida and most guys that fab these live on the west coast. Shipping is stupid expensive. I was a die hard sport quad rider. Since I bought my Teryx, I don't miss it at all except for the speed. I know a lot of guys are working on that. I ride all day and am not tired at all at the end of day. Good luck with your new purchase.

Lifes a Garden Dig it!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Money is definitely an object. I don't think I am going to do a whole lot to it. I just mainly need the four seat setup for the kids and then maybe i will do a few of the best bang for the buck mods like clutch and ECU when they come out with them for the 09. This is 90% for the wife and kids. I am a dirt biker at heart. I will take it out my fair share though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 06:32 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

If you do up a Teryx right, you may come over to the dark side.
We have cookies.

DP We need more new smillies soon. (This could be way funier)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement