Test drove Teryx today Ė some disappointments - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Test drove Teryx today Ė some disappointments

Iím going to buy a RUV in the near future. Iíve been using a 660 Rhino on a small ranch I have....but itís not mine, time to buy. I think my choices are Rhino or Teryx.

From what I read, Iíve was 90% certain, Teryx was going to trump the Rhino...and I think it does, except for four things that bother me. Two I can overlook, but not sure on the other two. Other than these four things.....I did like everything else about it. That motor is smoother than the Rhino.

1. Seat is to high, and to upright. I noticed it the minute I sat in it.
2. The foot restraint, makes you pull you foot back to get seated....I HATED that.
3. NO fuel gauge....what were they thinking???
4. Parking brake...foot controlled, needs to be a hand controlled brake.

Now....I want to buy it, but the question is can I live with these issues, or can I make mods to correct them. I need help....from the knowledge base here to determine that.

1. The seat. Are there any aftermarket seat bases that can lower and TILT the seat back. AND....if it would move the seat backwards, there seems to be space.....then it would add foot room and also help with the foot restraint issue (I think).
2. Foot restraint. Iím getting in/out of the RUV all the time with ranch work...and the design of this is just wrong for that. Appears itís all molded into the design. I was trying to visualize just how to mod this. I simply want to completely remove it.
3. Fuel gauge...is there a solution to this?
4. Parking brake....a PITA, but I donít use it it all the time...but just enough to be aggravated by this.

I hope someone has a solution....since everything else I really liked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:51 PM

Sounds Like You Need To Buy A Mule If You Are Worried About Moving Your Foot Back To Get Out ,i May Jump Out Of Mine Atleast 10 Time An Hr And I Really Don't See A Problem , If I'm Not Mistaking You Have To Open A Door On The Rhino . And Yes Ther Is A Fuel Gauge Fix , As Far As Seats Go There Are A Lot Of After Market , Parking Brake Is Just That, Not An E-brake The Tyrex Has A Wet Type Brake In The Rear Diff Area So You Sould Never Loose The Rear Brakes. But Other Than That I Wouldn't Trade The Rex For Any Thing .
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:53 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Well first off, welcome to the site, great to have you with us. In regards to the seats, I always thought they felt really comforable and secure...so with that said, I wonder if a PRP seat would work better for you? Where are you located?

I seem to remember seeing some seat bases that do it fact lower the seat some, you cannot go too far as you have the fuel tank and what not underneath.

Yes no fuel gauge, it is rediculous...there are kits out there though that you can use to install one.

Parking brake, it is what it is, not a whole lot we can do about that now.

I find the foot minder to be just fine, although I do not have to consistantly get in and out. Actually it is harder to get in mine due to the deep seats.

While yes there are some improvements to be made, the Teryx is a VERY solid machine and will not do you wrong. The powerplant is one of the best ones out there.

If you are nearby (I am in Phoenix) I would be happy to let you sit in mine to see if my seats suit you better

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Mules....not for me...I like the sport RUV like the Rhino, Teryx way more than a Mule. Also, they have seriously less foot room. If I got a Rhino, I'd take the doors off....first thing.

I'm located north of Houston. Thanks for the offer, but with the cost of fuel....I'll have to pass. I'll do some searching on aftermarket seats. I suspected the fuel gauage might be addressed by the aftermarket. My left knee isn't in the best of shape, so I guess that is why I noticed it so much. Remember I've spent a fair amount of time in the Rhino, in fact, I had it on a trailer there at the Teryx dealer, and jump from one to the other. The Rhino fit me better....but I'm hoping to find solutions on the Teryx. I DO like everything else about it....I just need to be sure I can fix these issues before buying.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 AM
CommanderTalk.com

Oh ya, little too far away to run out here for a test seating

Like I said, there is a solution for the fuel gauge...therefore, that can be resolved. In addition, I am sure next model year for the Teryx will include a fuel gauge, therefore, you may be able to get a kit direct from Kawasaki.

There are a lot of seat options out there and like I said, my PRP seats are very comfortable, however, being a deeper design, take a little more effort to get out of. They do offer a seat that does not hold you as much which would be easier to get in and out of.

Keep us posted, I am happy to offer any information so do not be shy!

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 AM

There are a few places that are offering lower seat brackets I am not sure if they lean the seat back. Here is a link to one of them these guys make killer stuff seatbases. I agree on the fuel gauge people have said it enough you will be able to get one. As far as the leg minders I think you will get used to that. It all comes down to do the good points out weigh the bad points. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Too much is neverenough
2003 duramax dually for towing
2004 Gearbox toyhauler 30fs
2006 limited yfz 450 mine
2003 Pred 500 wifes
1986 4trax 250R sons
1997 300ex daughter
2006 250ex daughter
2008 Teryx ours
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Bought the Teryx

Well....couple of days ago I pulled the trigger, and bought the Teryx. I LIKE THIS TERYX. I was debating Rhino v/s Teryx....and now with a couple of hours under my belt with it....and having had quite a bit of use of a Rhino 660....I KNOW...I made the right choice.

As a follow up to the issues I was concerned about.....it is NOT the issues I thought it would be. First the seats....at the end of the day...I wasn't noticing it all. Got use to them without difficulty. On the foot restraints....I still wish they were a bit smaller, but as with the seats, kind of got use to them too. I did alter the manner I got in/out...and that was a conscious effort at first, but was becoming less so by end of the day. Gas gauge...yes, Iíll make that mod at some point. Parking brake....it should be a hand brake, but I can live with the foot one.

NOW...I have a new set of issues, and one surprises me...Iíll start a new post on those..

Did I mention this Teryx rips....and how is it going to be with a CDI change...canít wait. I LIKE THIS TERYX.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 08:42 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Well congradulation on your new toy!!! Very happy to hear that you are enjoying your new purchase...see we would not have steered ya wrong

Ya lets see these issues and see if we cannot work out a solution for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement