A Few General Questions For the Experts - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A Few General Questions For the Experts

Hey all,

I found this site (along with one other) that is dedicated to the Teryx. I've read through countless threads prior to registering in order to become somewhat educated prior to purchasing. I'm really appreciative of everyone's contributions to the many threads that helped be chose the Teryx over the Rhino.

We previously owned a Tomcar (for only 6 months or so) and are about to purchase an '09 NRA edition. We used to carry a couple of items with us whenever we were far from civilization and want to know what you recommend for long excursions on a Teryx. Besides the normal survival equipment/goods in case of breakdown, what parts/accessories do you carry. On the Tomcar, we carried a spare wheel and tire, CVT belt, tie-rod ends, fire extinguisher, gas and tool kit. We also had a winch and the appropriate winch accessories.

Also, how do you all carry a spare wheel/tire when you have a stock cage? Will it fit upright in the bed? If you layed it down flat, is there any room for additional stuff? To start with, we're probably going to leave it stock except for upgraded seats and harnesses and some half-doors or bars to keep the legs in. In the future, I may get into the Funco +4" kit, bead locks, winch and skid plates. The power is plenty for us already, so no motor work. Simply want a very capable, reliable and durable trail machine that can be used for hunting. Reliability and durability are the two most important aspects of a UTV, so we hope we're making the right decision going with a Kawi. Besides the questions posted above, any other comments or recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 AM

Congrats on the decision and welcome to the forum!

A spare belt is a must have! As well as the tools to change it.
We make a spare tire holder that will clamp to the factory cage. Tie rods would be nice to carry but not required. A few spark plugs, oil and a tow strap.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 12:12 PM

He said experts, so I didn't reply. LOL!!

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Well, I can't seem to make up my mind now. I was dead set on a Teryx, but I talked with someone today that has an '08 and has had three belts in roughly 60 hours of use! After doing some internest searching, it appears that maybe this was an '08 issue, but does anyone know if there were indeed changes made for '09? I really want the NRA Edition Teryx, but reliability and durability are soooo important to me, and I'm now getting concerned about being stuck in the middle of nowhere with a broken belt. I talked with my dealer today, and they did say that changing the belt is a royal pain in the field. Knowing this, would any of you feel comfortable on a hunting excursion in a Teryx? The only reason I was looking at the Rhinos and Big Reds was due to the fact the Rhino seems to have little CVT issues and the Honda doesn't use a belt system. I thought I couldn't live with the looks of the Big Red, but after seeing one in camo with some accessories and aftermarket wheels and larger tires, it really isn't as bad as I thought (if only the front end plastic was different). I also like the safety features the Honda has, but nothing compares to the Kawi motor. I know it's my choice, but man I wish I had some direction right now! I also know I'm a little brainwashed with brand loyalty (love Hondas) and that's weighing on me more than I thought. I guess I'm looking for reassurance in stepping over to the darkside.

Oh, and Hunterworks, I'd love to hear your "amateur" opinion.

UTV Crap, thanks, and I'll keep you in mind for spare tire carrier.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 11:33 PM

Thumbs up

I'm no expert, but I must say that if you buy the Honda you might run into unforeseen problems that all 1st year vehicles have - lack of time to get the bugs worked out.

The '09 Teryx has had many changes done to it to help with the issues found on the '08's. Rhino's are great machine and there will always be one on any group ride with you, as every other person has one right now. The call is ultimately up to you, as you will be paying for it - not us.

I love my Teryx and it has 21hrs. with no problems at this time, unlike my friend's Artic Cat 1000 with 4 hrs. and 2 trips to the dealer for work. He bought a 1st year vehicle and so he has all kinds of bugs to work out (rear axles coming out, headlight adjustment screws falling off, melted lining on park brake, poor routing of cables and wires).

Todd H.
'67 Hispanic Wife
'02 Jeep Liberty
'09 Teryx Sport

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterworks View Post
he said experts, so i didn't reply. Lol!!
NICE ONE
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 05:32 AM

I think that there is a minority of people having belt issues. It is all in how you ride it. Below is some things to prolong belt life.

1. Don't ease on the gas, just hit it and go
2. Use low range when traveling less than 25mph for any length of time
3. A Dalton clutch kit will help because of its' positive belt engagement

I really like my 09 Teryx and it probably would be my choice if I had to choose one.

Todd

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTV CRAP View Post
and a tow strap.
what the hell??? tow strap??? teryx's don't ever get stuck do they just kidding these things have enough get up and go that they can get you (or at least us) over confident .. took me 30 min too get wifes rex out with her winch sunday.. I told her not to but she had to go in anyway

so yes on sunday I had to winch out my wench
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Txn View Post

I love my Teryx and it has 21hrs. with no problems at this time, unlike my friend's Artic Cat 1000 with 4 hrs. and 2 trips to the dealer for work. He bought a 1st year vehicle and so he has all kinds of bugs to work out (rear axles coming out, headlight adjustment screws falling off, melted lining on park brake, poor routing of cables and wires).
I just heard from my friend again today and he was on his way back to the dealership with yet another popped rear axle. He is going to give them 3 weeks to fix it right or he is getting a lawyer for the "Lemon Law" and then he'll buy a Teryx.

Todd H.
'67 Hispanic Wife
'02 Jeep Liberty
'09 Teryx Sport

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 07:41 PM

1600 miles, not one problem with my belt 08 LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement