Suspension Adjustment Question? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
AXO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Suspension Adjustment Question?

I am feeling like I wasted the extra cash when I bought the Sport model. I like the Cool Team Kawi Green color but thats about it. I already swapped my rims and tires ($700) and now I am thinking about swapping my shocks ($1,500).

I went for a quick top speed run this morning. It was down the side of a long stretch of road. Mostly grass with some sand patches. (GPS 52.7 mph) Man I got beat to hell. I know the Kawi Sport shocks are suposed to be better, but Man I hate to feel what the stock shocks feel like. I havent seen any or many posts about adjusting the shocks on the sport models. I assume that Kawai has them set really firm from the factory.

(I almost broke my neck trying to jump a 4 foot table top). I am in search of a Plush smoother ride. I am 45 years old (Wife thinks I act like I am 13) and It hurts bouncing off the three point selt belts repeatedly. I definately have to upgrade the seats and belts also.

Mu Question is has anyone had good luck adjusting the Sport suspension? I mostly trail ride. I like to also open her up on dirt roads. Mudding is fun but I avoid when possible (Except on sweltering days). I am 210lbs and usually ride with my daughter who is around 75lbs. I really dont want to start turning screws since I have Zero experience adjusting suspensions. (I know I will screw it up).

Thanks In advanced! Jeff

Lifes a Garden Dig it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, thats crazy, ours seems to ride really nice. We do a bunch of desert (hard pack) & sand.

I haven't messed with our suspension yet, I think it rides really well as is. It is a little stiff in the rear, which I think is because of the payload.

I would be interested in trying to adjust ours also. Someone has to have some knowledge of setting up the suspension without screwing it up.

2009 Teryx Sport,SDR Bed delete Cage & Full Doors , LTi +5 Long Travel,T/S Aggressor Seats (Heated & Lumbar), Vision X Dome's, ITP SS212 tires W/ Baja Cross, MSD, Muzzy's Exh., DASA airfilter & Impeller, VFJ III Clutch, K2 Siphon Break, 4500 Viperwinch, ViAir 280c on board air, Livewire LED Whip (x2), Rugged Radio Intercom with Car-2-Car, K2 Customs carbon fiber headlite buckets, Sirius !!, Speed Ind. Wheel W/ Joe's Racing Q/D, One11 Ink Roof Wrap, Garmin Oregon 450 gps
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 10:17 AM

First thing I would recommend is getting some real harnesses before going that fast over rough terrain, especially over table top jumps.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 11:47 PM

if you have ever messed with the rear shock on a dirtbike they are the same thing. you can adjust the spring tension with the nut on top of the spring, mess with the compression and rebound clickers on the shock body or adjust the nitrogen pressure in the reservoir. if you really want to get into it you could try and find a valve kit from places like race tech, factory connection or rg3. i'm not sure if they do or ever will have any kits for these shocks because of the machine they are on. i used to desert race dirtbikes and now i stick to motocross and to do the full suspension build it usually costs about 1500.00 (cheap compared to full suspension on these i know). so really it depends how deep your pockets are and how much playing with them you want to do. if you do it yourself just make sure whatever adjustments you make on one side you do the exact same on the other. you think it jumps like crap now wait til you have more rebound/compression on the left than the right. can you say sideways? front and rear can be different to make it jump more level, but again make it the same left and right. hope this helps.

09 monster sport teryx
08 kx450f
08 mega lite toyhauler
04 polaris 800 sled
04 chevy 2500
00 polaris 800 sled
98 caravelle
96 trans am
83 girlfriend
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 10:34 PM

I feel the same way. I ride trails at Brimstone, Windrock and black mountain and they are all very rocky.It seems like we feel every rock and ledge. I would love a more plush ride without breaking the bankand without losing any ground clearance.

The Colonel...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 07:39 AM

I also felt the ride was to harsh so on my last outing i adjusted the dampening(upper adjustment ) to the lowest setting and i am now very happy. I kept looking for a flat tire all day the ride was that soft. I dont do jumps though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 PM

Sport shocks are a lot better.If you going to run it insane like me. Then you will have to have some very good shocks. Or at least get the stock sport shocks reworked about 250.00. Old boy on teryx forurm has a set of fox shocks for sale. Colonel just slow your old ass down LOL. http://www.teryxhq.com/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01350.jpg
Views:	1610
Size:	491.6 KB
ID:	3484  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 08:00 PM

?

What tires are you running? I am runnig 27.5 Growlers and played a lot with the Sport shocks. I run mostly fast trails with a lot of rocks and woops. All it is trial and error, you cant screw it up all you have to do is start over. On my Buggy front spring preload is almost maxed out, rear is 3/4 maxed. Rebound on both ends 1/4 turn from maxed. Compression is you should still bottom on the big hits but not otherwise. My setup works great on the twisty stuff up here, as good as any RZR even the big bad xp9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement