Oil filter access........ - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oil filter access........

After going through all 32 pages of the general discussions, I did not see much on access to change the oil filter. I hate to be the only whiner on the forum about access to changing the oil filter, but I just got to vent....it is about the worst design I've ever seen. Shame on KAWI! OK....enough of that...

What solutions have others done to mitigate the problem? Removing panel "B" per the Owner's Manual is not the answer. Removing panel "B" and all the others that touch it only allows one to see the filter. If you have big hands you still can't get to it very well. Removing the skid plate seems like it would be an easier alternative, but still a huge pain. It seems to me that cutting an access hole in the skid plate to change the oil filter would be an easier solution long term. A cover plate could be made or just left open. Anyone got any solutions or thoughts on the matter. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTDAWG View Post
I hate to be the only whiner on the forum about access to changing the oil filter, but I just got to vent....it is about the worst design I've ever seen. Shame on KAWI! OK....enough of that...
Anyone got any solutions or thoughts on the matter.
Quit your damn whining, and get your wife to change the filter, that's what I do... J/K....

I have to agree with ya here, just wait till you start taking those skid plate bolts off, then you'll really be bitching....but I just take the back skid plate off, not all the skid plates. One of the vendors on here said they change their filters from the top...looks to me to be impossible to do from top..IMO.

See this tech article...click on the pdf file and it shows pictures.

http://www.teryxhq.com/forums/how-to...er-change.html

This is how I do it....

http://www.teryxhq.com/forums/kawasa...il-change.html
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

GREAT IDEA! Currently my wife is cutting up blown down trees from the last winter storm, but if she could stop long enough to change the oil and filter on the Teryx then I could ride.....you would not mind asking her, would you?

Hey, somehow I missed the pdf on "changing the oil and filter". Special thanks for pointing it out...the factory guys should see that. While removing the skid plate is the lessor of two huge pains, it could be avoided by cutting a small access hole in the skid plate........anyone got any thoughts on this?

BTW....what does your wife use to wash the Teryx after you've been riding?

Thanks again....you are da man!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
GREAT IDEA! Currently my wife is cutting up blown down trees from the last winter storm, but if she could stop long enough to change the oil and filter on the Teryx then I could ride.....you would not mind asking her, would you?

it could be avoided by cutting a small access hole in the skid plate........anyone got any thoughts on this?

BTW....what does your wife use to wash the Teryx after you've been riding?
You are doing it all wrong....I cut up the firewood and make her split it!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firewood.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1073  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
it could be avoided by cutting a small access hole in the skid plate........anyone got any thoughts on this?
I think if you cut an access hole, you only open up possibilities of sticks or rock jamming into crankcase or filter, personally I would not do it.

You mean you wash yours! Them [email protected] at Kawasaki told me the decals would peel off if I washed it...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teee-rible View Post
I think if you cut an access hole, you only open up possibilities of sticks or rock jamming into crankcase or filter, personally I would not do it.

You mean you wash yours! Them [email protected] at Kawasaki told me the decals would peel off if I washed it...
See. This is what pisses me off. Kawi makes changing the oil and filter so consumer unfriendly that we end up fighting amongst ourselves. All regular maintainance should not be so difficult, unless of course, it is intentional by Kawi. Its the dealers that talk to Kawi, not us. It might just be that they are the ones that tell Kawi to make simple maintainance just hard enough that most consumers will not do it themselves. This way the dealers can bang us for that simple oil/filter change, plug change, belt adjustment, etc....

Last edited by fireguy266; 03-31-2009 at 10:16 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys...

Here is what I'm thinking.....Directly, under the filter is a flat spot about 6 inches wide with grooves on both sides. Without cutting into the grooves, cut a rectangulat hole about 5 1/2" wide by about 8-9 inches long. The cut a piece of flat metal about 3/4" bigger than the hole. Attach cover with 1/4" speednuts and bolts. Speednuts are those little clips that have a nut attached to them and you slide them over the hole and then screw a bolt through them. Since the skid plate is thin stamped steel, anything we make a cover out of would be much stronger. You would take out 3 small bolts and loosen the last bolt allowing the cover plate to pivot allow access to the filter. Thoughts???
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:42 PM

Having a little access plate would work. Another idea would be an aftermarket external oil filter mount such as used on a vw for use of a PH8A. Maybe an after market product for someone? Could also go with an external oil cooler - oil pressure a problem?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:57 PM

Fastdawg has a great idea...just cut out a place big enough to get your meat hooks through the skid to grab the filter...have a metal fab shop cut you a piece of plate 1 inch larger on all 4 sides to overlap the hole you cut....drill 4 holes in each corner of the stock skid..tack weld 4 nuts on the backside of each corner...install 4 bolts and presto your done and still have protection...i may tackle this project this week...ill post pics if i do manage to get some free time...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 PM

There already is an access plate, with 2 bolts. I am assuming he has no problem getting the filter out of that hole currently, the problem is reaching back up there with the filter and putting it back on? Is that right? I know that was the problem I had, so I just took the entire back plate off. I think enlarging the current access hole by say 2-3 inches on all 3 sides would get the job done, then getting the right size access door made and put in, like FASTDAWG says, would solve the problem.
And by the way I have had every single piece of plastic shrouding off of this machine...and I am POSITIVE filter should not be changed from the top. doing it that way would make a 5 minute job turn into a two hour job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement