The death of an 08 TERYX - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Angry The death of an 08 TERYX

Talk about buyers remorse!!
I bought a new 08 Teryx LE in Dec. 08. I put 28 hours on it when the motor blew last weekend in the desert. My self & my husband are mature riders.
I was alone behind the wheel climbing a sand hill that a stock Rino had just gone up, should have been no big deal for a Teryx! I made it almost to the top when suddenly and without warning the engine died and there was a huge plume of blue & white smoke. After checking the oil levels, etc I tried to start it once more and that was when smoke & FLAMES shot out the tail pipe! We thought it was going up in flames and we threw sand on it to save it! Perhaps a mistake! Sadly it had to be towed by a friends Rino.
There is a definate design problem with the air intake on these units! After draggin it back to Orange County, Ca. I found out my dealer had 4 other Teryx units with bad motors due to the same or similar problem.
They suck up dirt & sand which ends up in the air intake. The design and location of the intake & filter are not sufficient to protect the motors.
I do have a pix/video of it demise! Not sure how to include it though!
Needless to say the dealer has had it 1 week now and it's looking like a complete engine rebuild! By the way... this could take a month to repair if I am lucky! I strongly disagree with letting them rebuild a nearly brand new unit! This is Kawasakis design problem and they need to go back to the drawing board with this one.
I am seriously considering a lemon law, lawsuit!
I am sure there are more of them out there than the 5here in So. Cal. that my dealer has.
Any comments or similar problems out there?
Too bad so sad in So. Cal
Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 12:07 AM
CommanderTalk.com

Hi there, first off welcome to the site.

I am not discounting the issues that you have had, however, it does not seem to be an excessive problem, remember, this same motor has been running for years in their quads.

Nonetheless, has the dealer given you an indication of what they are willing to do? I am not sure how the lemon law applies to off-road or recreational vehicles, however, if it is like a car or truck, you have a lot more inconvience to go through (trust me, I know)

Something sounds odd with your machine I will give you that, I have rode in several of them with no issues.

Please keep us in the loop on what you plan to do!

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 02:10 AM

is the filter that dirty or loose to be sucking in so much sand?? maybe your hose clamps were loose...the air intake is basically the same design as the older 660 and 450 rhinos...i always pack seveal extra pre-oiled air filters...you could also install a snorkel pipe and run it about 2 feet up behind you below the headrest to make sure your getting cleaner cooler air ...i have not heard of any motors going out from sand and dust only top ends and rings...i do know the 750 engine doesnt like to ingest water....

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddas View Post
I bought a new 08 Teryx LE in Dec. 08. I put 28 hours on it when the motor blew last weekend in the desert. My self & my husband are mature riders.
I was alone behind the wheel climbing a sand hill that a stock Rino had just gone up, should have been no big deal for a Teryx! I made it almost to the top when suddenly and without warning the engine died and there was a huge plume of blue & white smoke. After checking the oil levels, etc I tried to start it once more and that was when smoke & FLAMES shot out the tail pipe! We thought it was going up in flames and we threw sand on it to save it! Perhaps a mistake! Sadly it had to be towed by a friends Rino.
There is a definate design problem with the air intake on these units! After draggin it back to Orange County, Ca. I found out my dealer had 4 other Teryx units with bad motors due to the same or similar problem.
They suck up dirt & sand which ends up in the air intake. The design and location of the intake & filter are not sufficient to protect the motors.
Needless to say the dealer has had it 1 week now and it's looking like a complete engine rebuild! By the way... this could take a month to repair if I am lucky! I strongly disagree with letting them rebuild a nearly brand new unit! This is Kawasakis design problem and they need to go back to the drawing board with this one.
I am sure there are more of them out there than the 5here in So. Cal. that my dealer has.
Barb
This really sucks. I agree that the air intake is not a very good design. I am only guessing but it sounds like you didn't get a warranty when you made your purchase? Remember there is always more than one side to every dice that comes your way. Lean into it and now is the time to make it an 840!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Death of a Teryx

The unit was stock from the dealer, nothing added, nothing changed. It had it's 20 hour service and I was informed that the air filter was never oiled from the factory or the dealer. It had sand and dirt into the intake. The carburator was a muddy consistancy...

It is under warranty and it will be repaired but that's only part of my disgust! Why does this happen to not only mine but others out there? It's a design problem, so the dealer has implied! Kawasaki has a serious problem and compensation is due!
The Teryx is warm & cozy in the winter time when the Rino folks are freezing their butts off! I think it will be unberable in the warmer months, if I get it back and have the opportunity to ride in it!! So much heat comes off that motor into the cabin. I don't think that is a good design either!

I was told prior to my purchase, Kawasaki sat back and watched all the problems that the competition had and built a superior unit! Nope I don't think so! I feel it was a waste of 10,000.

I have no interest in having performance work done on the motor! I just want a good dependable unit from the factory that performs as described by Kawasaki!
Disgusted in So. Cal.!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0492.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1109  

Last edited by bddas; 04-03-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Add photo
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 AM

Don't blame ya one bit, I would definatley feel the same way, that sucks and sorry to hear about it.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddas View Post
Barb
Not try'n to be a jerk but those two statements are contradicting (unless I just don't understand, which is totally possible)

Anyway, if so, that sux. We bought our '09 in Nov. got about 600 miles on it, about 400 of 'em are from the dunes. This thing amazes me how well it does. Just got back last weekend from Glamis for the first time with it. Frigg'n awesome !! Had no problem beating the rhino in camp on several different hills.

Good luck. Just remember, every mfg. has issues. My '01 chevy d'max was flawless, & my '06 gmc is nothing but issues.

2009 Teryx Sport,SDR Bed delete Cage & Full Doors , LTi +5 Long Travel,T/S Aggressor Seats (Heated & Lumbar), Vision X Dome's, ITP SS212 tires W/ Baja Cross, MSD, Muzzy's Exh., DASA airfilter & Impeller, VFJ III Clutch, K2 Siphon Break, 4500 Viperwinch, ViAir 280c on board air, Livewire LED Whip (x2), Rugged Radio Intercom with Car-2-Car, K2 Customs carbon fiber headlite buckets, Sirius !!, Speed Ind. Wheel W/ Joe's Racing Q/D, One11 Ink Roof Wrap, Garmin Oregon 450 gps
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:18 AM

The 09 is a big improvement over the 08 especially in the heat issue area.

I don't think the intake is a bad design at all, just seems like a failure to oil it.

Sounds weird you got so much dirt in there.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 AM
Build Sponsor

I disagree...I think the intake plenum is a terrible design. I have had mine fall off 2 times and am EXTREMELY fortunate that I have not lost my motor. That plenum connection to the top boot is just not long enough. Once you get it any more than hand tight then the rubber boot just pops the plenum off. We have a kit in the works only because I am not going to go through the hassle of calling Kawi and bitching about it and waiting for a fix that may not come. I will post some pics of the kit later. Every machine has it's quirks...I'm used to adjusting...personally I think it's part of the territory of owning anything with an engine...

Sorry for your loss and I hope you get it fixed soon...
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 08:14 AM

I thought it was just me that was having that problem!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement