20 Hour maintenance - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

20 Hour maintenance

Anyone do the 20 hour maintenance checklist themselves that aren't serious mechanics? Or is it worth it to send to the dealer? is there a maintenance kit you can buy for the Teryx? Plugs, Filters, Engine Oil, Gear Case Oil, etc...
If not can anyone list the exact oils the use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 04:38 PM

20 hour is pretty easy. Change the motor oil, front/rear diff. Inspect the CV's, air filter, spark plug, choke knob, brake fluid level, and front/rear brake pads.

If you can handle that, do it yourself and save the coin!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 04:53 PM

You can do it yourself, if you've never attempted an oil change before it will take some time, but it is certainly manageable. Besides, if you run into any trouble, there are plenty of faq's on these forums already!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlez914 View Post
Anyone do the 20 hour maintenance checklist themselves that aren't serious mechanics?
Check out a recent thread titled OIL FILTER ACCESS.....

It has lots of info about maintenance. Just don't believe the OWNER'S MANUAL where you are told to access the filter from the top side. It's a lot of trouble to access the filter from the top and once you get there you still can't do it. Also, you are instructed to remove the 5 bolt access plate to reach the drain plug......don't do this. Instead remove the 10 bolt skid plate that the 5 bolt plate is attached to. If you prefer, you can remove 9 bolts and loosen the 10th bolt and swing the skid plate out of the way, this should make reattachment easier.

The dealers push KAWI oil at $4.95/ QT because it has special additives to protect the tranny, clutch, etc. That's what I bought, although I'm sure there are lots of alternatives. Just remember one thing........................YOU CAN DO IT! And save lots of $change and the hassle of hauling it to and from the dealer. But the biggest benefit may be that the more you can learn about the mechanical workings of any machine will benefit you greatly if you break down in the middle of no where.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 02:48 PM

That is funny I never noticed that the owners manual tells you to take off the front and drivers side plastic covers to change the oil filter. The service manual tells you to take off the bottom skid plate.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't use the Kawi oils for the front diff and motor, but I use thier oil for the sealed rear brake/diff.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 08:10 AM

how do you check the play in the choke knob? never tried it before.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 09:24 AM

If you want it done right. Do it yourself. This was my experience with the dealer I purchased my Teryx from. Its first 20 hour service. When I did it myself I used all Kawasaki oils and filters.

On Thursday 03-19-09 I called Pro Power Sports of Conroe to see about getting my Teryx in for it’s first recommended 20 hour service. I was told it would cost $280.00 and if I got it to them by 10:00am Friday 03-20-09 that I would have it back the same day. I had my Teryx at the dealership around 9:15am on Friday 03-20-09. I talked with their service advisor. I told him the Teryx was here for its first 20 hour service. I also told him I would like for them to install a “Uni” after market air filter in place of the factory one if they had one in stock. I also told him I would like for them to install a “K&N” after market oil filter in place of the factory one if they had one in stock.
I called Pro Power Sports of Conroe on Friday 03-20-09 around 5:00pm knowing that they close at 6:30pm because I live about an hours drive away. I called to see if the Teryx was ready. I was told that they were just finishing it up. I arrived at the dealership about 6:15pm. I spoke with service, they told me they didn’t have the “Uni” filter I wanted so his tech put a “new” factory Kawasaki air filter in it for me. I asked him where my old factory air filter was. He had it there by his desk and handed it to me. I asked him, why didn’t your tech just wash this filter out, re-oil it and put it back in my Teryx. He answered by saying, "good question". He then told me he would take the cost of the new air filter off my bill, which he did. They didn’t have the “K&N” oil filter. So, around to the parts counter I go to pay my bill. Remember, I was told $280.00. The bill was $385.66. I paid the bill, loaded my Teryx and went home.
When I got my Teryx home I noticed that the part of the engine cover that covers the air cleaner box was not installed correctly. Two of the tabs on the passenger side were sticking out. Saturday morning 03-21-09. I got the Teryx out to fix the cover over the air box. I took the cover off and thought, I’ll just look into the air filter box itself. I pulled the four fasteners, took the air filter box lid off only to find my new air filter lying in the bottom of the air box. It was not reinstalled correctly. The set screw that holds the filter element in place was left loose. I also noted that the inside of the air filter box was left dirty. I also noted that the new air filter element was not oiled. Had I not looked into the air box and took my Teryx out riding. I would have filled the carburetors and engine with dust and dirt.
I called Pro Power Sports and spoke with their service manager. He wanted to make it right. We agreed that the next service (50 hours) would be free and that I would service my own air filter this time. After doing my air filter I got under my Teryx to look at my oil filter. I found that it had not been changed. It was the original oil filter, still had mud and muddy water splashes on it. I called right back and told them what I had found. I now wondered if anything had been done for my $385.66. They asked if I could take a picture of the oil filter and email it to them. I told them I could but I’d have to drop the skid plates to do so. He said no he didn’t want me to have to do that. He said he was going to send someone to look at it. About four hours later a guy shows up at my home. He’s got some tools; He also has a basket with two quarts of engine oil, one quart of rear diff. fluid, oil filter and two spark plugs. He agrees the oil filter had not been changed. He drops the skid plates, pulls the oil drain plug. He has to get tools from me to get the old oil filter off. As the oil is draining he goes around to the rear diff. takes off the fill plug, sticks his little finger in, pulls it out with a little oil on it and says, “yea it’s clean, it’s been changed”. The machine only has 20 hours on it, how dirty could the original diff. fluid be. The reason for this service is to change the fluids as to remove any foreign particles from break in. He never looked at the front diff. The guy then finishes up the oil change, but asked me for my funnel so he can add new oil. He was going to make a funnel out of an old water bottle he had in his truck to add the oil. After adding the two quarts he brought with him he told me I would have to get any old kind of 10w40 motor oil and top it off. It takes more than two quarts of oil when you change the oil filter. He cleans up his stuff and is getting ready to leave. I asked him about the two spark plugs. He said I could have them along with the quart of rear diff. fluid he did nothing with. On his way he went.
A week later, Friday 03-27-09. The Teryx has not been moved. Now there is a big pool of oil under it. I call Pro Power Sports again and speak with Service. I explain to him there is a big pool of oil under my teryx and that I believe it’s due to the fact that his tech didn’t replace the aluminum gasket on the drain plug like the Teryx service manual tells you to do. (I have a service manual) Service says he’s very busy and that he would pull my paper work and call me back. This was on Friday; I never got a call back. Saturday 03-28-09 around noon I called Service. His answer was that he was going to refund my money. Well Sunday 03-29-09 I did my own oil change. How ever, I was wrong about the tech not replacing the aluminum washer on the drain plug. He just neglected to tighten the drain plug altogether, I could turn it with my fingers. I called Service to let him know the cause of the oil leak. He didn’t seem to care.
So… with all that said. It was a complete waste of my time and money, not to mention the gas for two trips to the dealership. I got nothing for nothing. Yes I am getting my money back I hope. Myself and my Teryx will never set foot anywhere near Pro Power Sports of Conroe ever again. If anyone ever asks me anything about Pro Power Sports of Conroe they’re going to get an ear full of nothing but stay very far away from that place!
Do not buy anything from there and you definitely don’t want anything you own serviced by this place.

Do it yourself.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 09:51 AM

Hillbilly brings up a common myth about these shops...most sell motorcycles and quads AND most of the techs are not use to working on SxS (unless the shop moves a ton of them AND does a lot of service).

The simple facts are for every SxS a dealer moves it moves ~20X motos and quads. While the engines are similar the chassis are not. Imagine taking your BMW 325 car to the BMW bike shop for service, same difference.

Second, who is performing the work on your machine...you think the lead mechanic is doing oil changes?!? NO! The "new" guy gets to do all the general service, then work up the ladder to engine work.

Lastly, do it yourself. Really you can't mess it up and you'll be happy to know it was done by someone who cares. Plus once you jump over that hurdle, you'll want to tackle more difficult pojects and be on your way to self sufficient
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 02:10 PM

now I'm a little worried about the $$$ I put out for three years of service. I might be getting three years of headaches!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement