how to get higher top speed? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

how to get higher top speed?

I use my Teryx for mainly driving around the back country roads, and I need a Higher top end. What is the best way to so this for minimal cost? What kind of speed will I be looking at with your suggested mods?

Thanx,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markhpb View Post
I use my Teryx for mainly driving around the back country roads, and I need a Higher top end. What is the best way to so this for minimal cost? What kind of speed will I be looking at with your suggested mods?

Thanx,
Mark
Assuming this is an 08 teryx, you need an aftermarket cdi to past the stock 49 mph, this alone should get you to mid 50's. Cheapest way to get more is to removed the clutch end cover, place two washers between the cover and the clutch itself, this will get another 6 mph. My stock teryx with just a VDI and the two washers will do at least 63 mph on speedo. One thing to remember is that if you the two washer trick, you got disengage your engine brake in the clutch cover.

08' Teryx LE, FST 840, Muzzys, VDI, Dalton, VFJ Roller, Thunderhawk Performance Race Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 5pt. Crow Harness, 12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks, GBC 8 ply Dirt Commanders, Pro Armor Skids, Team Green Plastic

08' Teryx, Maier Orange Plastic, Thuderhawk Performance 4 Seat Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 4 pt. Harness, 14" Chrome Doughas Diablos w/GBC Grim Reapers, VDI, Dalton
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 06:12 PM

Been thinking about the washer thing. Since no two washers are the same thickness do you think it would be a good idea to do that plus the balance issue?

Machining a stock cover or a OD plate from Dalton would be balanced and perfectly flat.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Been thinking about the washer thing. Since no two washers are the same thickness do you think it would be a good idea to do that plus the balance issue?

Machining a stock cover or a OD plate from Dalton would be balanced and perfectly flat.
Mine seems fine with it, not much time on it though. He said cheap, I love the dalton stuff and have it on my 840, but I did the CHEAP two washer trick on my stocker and it worked fine. I did it more less just to try since I was replacing the belt anyways. Im going to eventually put it back to stock since the wife and kids drive/ride in this one and she likes the engine brake system. I personally cant stand it and i do have the 840 to satisify the racer in me! LOL

08' Teryx LE, FST 840, Muzzys, VDI, Dalton, VFJ Roller, Thunderhawk Performance Race Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 5pt. Crow Harness, 12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks, GBC 8 ply Dirt Commanders, Pro Armor Skids, Team Green Plastic

08' Teryx, Maier Orange Plastic, Thuderhawk Performance 4 Seat Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 4 pt. Harness, 14" Chrome Doughas Diablos w/GBC Grim Reapers, VDI, Dalton
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 08:53 PM

clutch talk

I got my 09 teryx about 2 months ago. Are they now putting a dalton clutch in this machine from the factory? If not what can I do to the one that is in it and by doing that what should I expect. If it does come with a dalton clutch from the factory what can i do to it and what should i expect. Also are there any mod that can be done on the motor yet like a exhaust. If there is an exhaust that can be installed on it do we need to make any fuel changes since it is all fuel injected or will the computer correct the fuel.Also does anyone know anyone on the north side of houston texas that has worked on any of the dalton clutches that knows what they are doing. I am looking to get a full cage and all 4 seats any ideas or recomendations in texas or even out of texas. I want a full cage with a top but the shipping is biting me in the AAAAAAs!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 10:45 PM

the only thing i can really tell you is look at the muzzy writeup that hunterworks did. VERY informative and will probably answer your questions.

09 monster sport teryx
08 kx450f
08 mega lite toyhauler
04 polaris 800 sled
04 chevy 2500
00 polaris 800 sled
98 caravelle
96 trans am
83 girlfriend
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyo View Post
I got my 09 teryx about 2 months ago. Are they now putting a dalton clutch in this machine from the factory? If not what can I do to the one that is in it and by doing that what should I expect. If it does come with a dalton clutch from the factory what can i do to it and what should i expect. Also are there any mod that can be done on the motor yet like a exhaust. If there is an exhaust that can be installed on it do we need to make any fuel changes since it is all fuel injected or will the computer correct the fuel.Also does anyone know anyone on the north side of houston texas that has worked on any of the dalton clutches that knows what they are doing. I am looking to get a full cage and all 4 seats any ideas or recomendations in texas or even out of texas. I want a full cage with a top but the shipping is biting me in the AAAAAAs!!!
No dalton clutch from factory even though Kawasaki sells it as a Kawasaki part.

Nothing you can do to the clutch that is in there.

THe Muzzy on a 09 model makes a big difference and no fuel required if you don't put our speed box on if you do then a fuel controller would be needed. The engine gets lean above 51. The fuel controller does help some below but not absolutely needed.

The computer can NOT compensate for fueling requirements with mods. Most mods need additional fuel.

Do the work yourself, nothing to it really. The Dalton comes with a nice manual explaining what to use for different applications and we have a install video.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:01 AM

do you have a phone # that i could call you at
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:29 PM

Got a website too, see signature below.

601-626-7449

Todd