Teryx HQ banner

New Teryx....have two issues

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mouser58 
#1 ·
First...let me say...this Teryx rips. The demo drive did it no justice....really happy with it.

Two issues though:

1. HEAT....a little searching shows others have had this issue, and it appears to be solved with heat shield cloth on the headers. So I’ll work on that. Caught me a little bit off guard, since I had not read about that issue. I don’t think, as it sits now, this thing could be used in 95 degree heat. It got the shifter metal shaft so hot, you could not hold to the metal part of the shifter. Is the spark arrester part the problem here? Will it run cooler with it out?

2. The gas pedal is not positioned correctly. Or, I should say it’s positioned in mid-air so you have to support or pedal control. Not only tires you foot, it is really hard to control your speed on rough ground. My pasture, unfortunately has some really rough areas. The Teryx tended to surge through these, because you simply couldn’t hold you foot steady. I’m think of adding a straight strap all the way to the tunnel off of the pedal. Then you can rest you foot on the tunnel, to help with this. Anyone else experience this? Have a solution?

#2 ·
Ok for your first issue, heat. Has your fan been kicking on? Have you checked your coolant? I have driven this in 90 degree weather and it has not gotten hot enough to be unable to touch anything on it, much less be bothersome. Check to make sure your fan is working properly.

As for the gas pedal, this issue may be solved shortly. I set another member up here with a company who are going to build a new set of pedals, our member here voiced the same concerns in regards to the gas pedal, so we will wait and see what they come up with :)

#3 ·
Fan is coming on. The coolant level is ok....btw...that sight window, it is very hard to see through that white plastic. The light has to be just right before you can really see the level. I know from some searching, it does appear others having the same heat levels. Makes me wonder why you haven't ran into it. What's you opinion on the spark arrestor. I've read many have taken it out.

And...when you turn the Teryx off....it sounds like it's dialing out to the internet. It is electronic related. I think it is something with the fan, since I noticed on occasssion the fan would come on right after that. Rather unusal sound to be coming from a machine like this.

I suspected as much on the pedals. Let me know what happens there.

#5 ·
Yes the sound you are hearing is a servo doing diagnostics on the CVT. I wondering the same thing. but it is completely normal.

Sure you can remove the spark arrestor, keep in mind that the exhaust note will change a tad and some people do not like how that sounds.

I kept mine in as I do ride on forest service roads. Will it help lower temps, I am really not sure.

#6 ·
I havent had an heat issues..and I have run the crap out of it then splashed threw the creek...as far as the go baby go pedal I agree...I am thinkung of putting a pedal on which bolts to the floor..then lays across the existing pedal...my buddies granpa used a old semi pedal in his cubcadet,works great...

#7 ·
Well....from the post I’m reading, here and on other forums, some Teryx’s have a heat problem...a LOT of it, and others have NONE.

Doesn’t give you a comfy feeling, especially if yours has the heat....unless you live in Canada and want the heater on all the time.

Obviously not all Teryx’s are the same.

I’ll be talking to the dealer in the morning about it. Bet they will say ‘that’s the first I heard of that’.

#8 ·
Honestly my friend, one thing to keep in mind. what is hot to one person, may not be hot to another.

Since your concerned, have you dealer look at it...if the fan is coming on and the thermostat is opening correctly, you should be alright. Has the coolant tempertature indicator light ever come on?

#9 ·
No it hasn't. But.....when it's hard to hold you hand to the shaft of the shifter because it's too hot....that is HOT. And it was low 80s the day I rode. If it's 98 outside, which is pretty normal for Texas in the summer....not sure you'll want to get in it. I am positive from what you have posted, something is very different as to the heat between yours and mine.

#10 ·
I have a billet shifter handle and it does get warm. That heat is great when it's 45 outside as it keeps you cozy but I can't wait to feel it when it's 90. I couldn't imagine driving this thing with an enclosure on it. You would bake like a loaf of bread! I wonder if some kind of auxiliary fan would be a good idea? I really haven't looked around for a good place to mount it.

#11 ·
I noticed that Kawasaki advertizes vents back by the bed for cooling, yet, the slots seem to be closed. Wonder if they were open and a small fin was installed to direct the heat back under the body if that would draw away some of the heat from the front area. Or mount a small deflector to the underside of the hood to direct the hot air coming straight back from the radiator down towards the ground instead of it passing straight at the front of the cab area and motor????

#12 ·
Sorry to hear about heat problems, but probably won't find out if mine is one of them with the problem for at least a few more weeks....it's been in the 30's every nite & snowed alittle this AM here in the Northwoods. Agree 100% about the juice pedal though & will be interested in the best, but (cheap?) solution to that one. Otherwise, it's a great machine & finally had a chance to push it a little up by the son in law's land near Lake Superior yesterday.

#13 ·
Mouser58....these vents at the BACK of the bed??? I can’t locate anything like that. Can you clarify a bit?

This weekend, I moved the windshield up a little, as some suggested, and it helped a little with heat, but I don’t like the windshield up like that. Vibrates, and starts to get into your vision. Plus it doesn’t directly address the heat.

Some have mention header wraps...and I just make do that.

I will say, the dealer told me, the first 30 hours, there will be more heat....I think he was pretty much just trying to get rid of me....but in fairness, this weekend, the heat was there, but perhaps, just maybe wasn’t quite as bad as the first drives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.