One mans Teryx wreck rebuild - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

One mans Teryx wreck rebuild

Sorry it has taken me so long to post these photos, I tore my right rotator cuff in the wreck and it has not been fun, but I am finally getting better and putting off surgery as long as I can.

OK here we go.

I lawn darted this machine into the front side of a double jump that was more like a ditch. It was 100% driver error but I would like to think my FST Standard Bore Kit helped a little. HAHAHAHAH J/K on that part.

Anyway, long story short: The frame was bent, photos later pretty badly in the center of the machine, like right under the front of the seats. Kawasaki does not sell frames, so the ins company totaled the machine. They gave me a check for 9800 and told me I had 3 days to strip off all my custom parts and return it to stock before the salvage company picked it up. I was struggling to get all the parts off and my wonderful wife called me from work one day and told me to go get 3K cash out of her glove box of her car, and buy back the wreck then fix it over time, so I did and no more rushing.

A buddy of mine, one of my best friends in the world who was riding with me when I crashed helped me with all of this, and is still helping. We got a good dent in the work, then I realized the full extent of my injuries and it has been slow going with this shoulder hurting badly, thank god I had a harness on and a helmet. The SDR cage is at least 4" lower than stock and I am tall so my helmet hit the rear view mirror, glad it was not my bare head.

Anyway, on to the pics.

First off the center of a Teryx, right under the front of your seat is where your frame is going to bend if you lawn dart it. The center of the red line you can see in this marked up photo was over 3/4 inch lower than the ends of the red line. You can see that Kawasaki knows this as there are two square tubes stacked and a gusset welded in as well. We had to bend these back straight after determining how much on each one. Luckily the guy who owns the shop has fixed MANY cars and trucks on this frame machine and he is an expert at what he does it was amazing to watch.

Hard to tell from photo and other side was a little worse but the green circle was 3/4" lower than the ends where the red line ends. See the 2 square tubes welded together and the gusset welded in by Kawasaki. This is the weak point of your frame that buckles when you lawn dart the machine hard enough.

Front of machine had less dramatic frame bend as well.

Here are some pics of the machine on the Chassis Liner frame machine and how we had to chain it down to very slowly bend these banana'd frame members back into position to where a straight edge will sit flat on them now.

OK front Drive shaft was bent at the front end. Alan uses a dial indicator and a hole in the attachment on teh tractor behind him to fix the front drive shaft. It was pretty bad and a new one is 425 dollars!! So he fixed this one.

If you look closely, you can see the bend from this angle in the pic below. The right side of the machine was bent worse but there was a wall to close to get good photos besides this one.

SDR Cage bent right behind B Pillars, hard to see in the photos but with a level, the rear of the cage is about 1/2 lower than at the B Pillars.

Also had to straighten out my SDR Front Bumper, this happened on the fist ride with the SDR Cage and Bumper.
I found it interesting that the jack is just a support in this setup. There is a log binder with cheater bar to tweak it back by hand instead of brute forcing with the jack. Steel is pretty interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bent-Frame.gif
Views:	8207
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	1235   Click image for larger version

Name:	bentframefront.gif
Views:	4258
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	1236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fixing-Front-drive-shaft.gif
Views:	2175
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	1237   Click image for larger version

Name:	dialindicatoronfrontdriveshaft.jpg
Views:	1898
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1238   Click image for larger version

Name:	chaindown1.jpg
Views:	2018
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1239  

Name:	chaindown2.jpg
Views:	1976
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1240   Click image for larger version

Name:	dial-indicate-center-of-front-drive-shaft.gif
Views:	2664
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	1241   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDRbentcage1.gif
Views:	2133
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	1242   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDRBentCage2.gif
Views:	1889
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	1243   Click image for larger version

Name:	FixingSDRFrontBumper.jpg
Views:	2063
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1244  

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

Last edited by Magellan; 04-25-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Here is how the machine looks today. Still have to fix a water leak, install the Unisteer Steering, take the Muzzy's system apart and use RTV to seal it from leaking at the joints, put some skid plates back on it, rejet the carbs and install the #40 pilot jets, air up the tires and RIDE BABY!!

If I can answer any questions or explain anything better please don't hesitate to ask. The pics don't show very well how bad the straight edge and ruler do, but you can kinda tell. Glad I stayed safe, I POUNDED this machine lawn dart style and then some and pounded myself. I like to think when I get it back running, I can control myself a little better and use the thing under my helmet a little more when I drive. I guess time will tell...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Here-it-is-now-almpst-done.jpg
Views:	1793
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1245  

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

Last edited by Magellan; 04-26-2009 at 06:31 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:03 PM
SRX

Good post Will, sorry to here about the whoops getting in the way. Suppose just the sheer jolt of the impact popped that shoulder. How wide are your shoulder belts? What pilots were you running? I take it your digging that std.bore! Take it easy man..

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Thank you SRX. I think I have 3" CROW harnesses. What happened was it was 17 degrees at the start of the ride. By the time I wrecked it was 60 and I had removed a parka, lined flannel long sleeve shirt and one T-Shirt but not tightened up my shoulder straps of the harness so when I hit my big ass body went forward before the shoulder straps caught. I am sure that is what got this right shoulder. Funny thing was it took about a week or two to REALLY start hurting, and I had to get a referral from my family dotor for a surgeon ,then an MRI and there are actually 3 tears and a bone spur that has probably been there since a car crash when I was 18. Anyway, can't take off work to have surgery, gotta keep the cash flow coming in... trying to just suffer through it and baby it. Need to reinstall my power steering before I ride on the 08 again.

I was just driving tired and stupid. I grazed a tree at about 35 right before the wreck, I should have taken it back to the truck sooner. After crashing I had to limp back about 2+ miles to the truck, so I almost made it home on a 50 mile ride....

Yes I really do love the STD Bore kit. Great power and not that much worse on fuel economy. Still have not gotten my jetting right though but maybe now it will be easier with the right pilot jets.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement