Overdrive or Machined Clutch Covers - What do they do for you? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Overdrive or Machined Clutch Covers - What do they do for you?

As you guys know, I am a diehard Dalton fan for a lot of reasons so in my photos you will see the Dalton Brand of Over Drive Clutch cover as I just purchased a second full kit/cover for my wife's 09 Teryx. The machined covers also accomplish basically the same thing and this thread covers what they claim to do and I try to break it down to make it easy to understand. You are going to need a clutch puller to remove the clutch and install the Machined or OD Cover either one. You do not need a spring compressor to change your clutch cover.

Here are the claims and what I have found.
1. Dalton or Machined - Increase in top speed.
Yes Top speed increases if you don't have an 09 with limiter, but more importantly for me, I get more top speed in LOW range, so now I can run up to about 30 to 33 MPH on my GPS in low without hitting the rev limiter. I ride 90% tight steep and rocky trails and use LOW range basically all the time in the woods, no need for high at all anymore.

2. Keep KEBC - Not with the Dalton as there is no one way bearing in the cap. I see a few different brands of machined stock caps that claim to allow you to keep the KEBC. I do not have first hand experience with any machined covers except for what I have read on this site and Hunterworks site, sorry.
Personally I can't stand the clunkyness and rear gear lash noise induced by the KEBC and I much prefer having it disabled. The Dalton will not let you still run KEBC, so this could be a factor for those of you who think you want the KEBC. I would encourage you to drive someones machine without KEBC and make sure you really do need/want it. The KEBC is especially clunky and hard to rock crawl with, if you rock crawl, you would love to be without KEBC IMHO.

3. Provide Extra cooling, light weight and strength for your clutch.
Only the billet covers can do this, like the Dalton and I believe a couple of others. The stock machined caps do not provide extra cooling, and they are reported to be weaker since material is cut from them. To date, I have not heard of a machined stock cap that failed on a Teryx. The billet covers are definitely a lot lighter weight, they have a big vent holes as well.

I hope this helps you understand more about the covers. I know I prefer the Dalton brand, but the basics of what they do and how they work is pretty much the same technically. You need to decide, what your budget is, if you want or need the KEBC and finally whose OD Cover or machined cover you want to buy. I go for the best parts I can afford and look for companies with the best customer service for just in case I need it. I hope this helps you understand and make a choice that is right for you. For me the choice of Dalton it is a no brainer for me and the customer service is second to none. I have seen good things reported about the Hunterworks and UTV Crap machined covers as well, but I have only had Dalton.

Here is the Stock Clutch Cover next to the Billet Dalton Industried OD Clutch Cover.

Reinstalled on the machine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09Teryx-DaltoncODCovernexttostock.gif
Views:	2346
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	1311   Click image for larger version

Name:	09Teryx-Primarywithdaltonkitandcapinstalled.jpg
Views:	2340
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1312   Click image for larger version

Name:	09Teryx-DaltonClutchKitandODCoverinstalled.jpg
Views:	5201
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1313  

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

Last edited by Magellan; 04-30-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:17 PM

Magellan,

You don't have to remove the primary to change covers. Just remove the center bolt, all the surrounding ones and then replace. So no special tool needed.

Todd

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Magellan,

You don't have to remove the primary to change covers. Just remove the center bolt, all the surrounding ones and then replace. So no special tool needed.

Todd
That is true, I tried it like that the first time I put one on, but changing the flyweights is tough when leaning over the machine and trying to do it while the clutch is still on. I also clean my sheaves with denatured alcohol every time I am inside the CVT cover which you can't do well or easily with the belt still on, at least I can't. But good point, if all you are doing is the cap, you do not have to pull the clutch. Thank you for pointing that out.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

Last edited by Magellan; 05-02-2009 at 03:28 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 02:23 PM

My job is to keep you straight oh competitor of install videos !!! LOL

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:51 AM

i have the first cap that utvcrap made.the kebc still works with this cap,but once i put on my dayco test belt i removed the fork and disabled the kebc to get rid of that damn clunking
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle jumper View Post
i have the first cap that utvcrap made.the kebc still works with this cap,but once i put on my dayco test belt i removed the fork and disabled the kebc to get rid of that damn clunking
It is much better without the KEBC, do you agree PJ?

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 07:05 AM

Can I just unplug the KEBC to see if I like it, or do I have to take the forks and such out?

thanks,

PowerTrip
Utah

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Faster and faster till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death !

2008 TERYX
FST Standard Bore kit w/ Stage III cams
Vent Racing Clutch kit w/ Billet Hat
Hunterworks Carb kit
DWT Doonz Paddles on Quatro's
Element Cage
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERTRIP View Post
Can I just unplug the KEBC to see if I like it, or do I have to take the forks and such out?

thanks,
I am not 100% sure, but I think when the machine (ignition key) is OFF you can unplug it and it will stay in the retracted position and not cause any problems for you.

You will like having it gone if you do much crawling around for sure.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:37 AM

interesting. i will have to look into the KEBC myself when i get ready to do the clutch ( probably in the Jully/august timeframe unless someone runs a blowout sale)
thanks for the info Magellan

2008 Teryx

Something to Tinker with

PM me if you are looking for a Service Manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement