I Have Had IT!!!!!!! - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I Have Had IT!!!!!!!

Okay!!!! Here we go again!!!!! I just got my clutch back from Vjohn and spent a few days tinkering with the springs and weights. I got it figured out (I think) and put it back together. We have had todays ride scheduled for about 4 weeks (yahoo)!!! Well on the way there I am driving and I get an awful, horrible wine coming from the engine... well I start tearing it apart in my friends garage and come to find out the sound is in the clutch. I pull it apart and notice that the Primary (fixed Sheave) is rubbing against the plate that sits against the motor (only 2 things can cause that... grease on the input shaft and over tightening; which I did both). I get it fixed and put it back together and we are off for I nightly ride!!!!!

Well the very 1st rock hill we come to, I get about half way up and belt light comes on (now understand this is steep and rocky) and all of a sudden SMOKE is coming out from everywhere. We end up driving a little and then we are heading home and BAM, BANG, and CLANK the BELT BLEW!!!! Right in the middle of the road. Now I am really pissed!!!!

Needless to say... both of my friends drive RZR's and every time I am with them (which is the only time I ride) I have had problems. BELT PROBLEMS. They are definitely laughing their A$$'s off. The RZR's definitely kicked my A$$ again.

I am wondering if I shouldn't of bought a RZR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 05:33 AM

Heck no you should have not gotten a RZR they stay broke more often than not.

I don't know much about the V-Force John stuff and I hear it is good stuff but do you think something might be wrong with yours?

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 06:38 AM

Were you in L or H when you got to the hill, and what would you estimate as your speed going up the hill before the smoke started?

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
Were you in L or H when you got to the hill, and what would you estimate as your speed going up the hill before the smoke started?

I am always in Low and I was crawling up the Rock!!!! The Polaris' made it EASY.... I am just disappointed!!!!!!!

2009 Monster FOR SALE
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:20 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm wondering if you need a stiffer spring. How big are these rocks? Pictures?
Have you emailed vfj for a little more set up advise?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 09:52 AM

No Broke Back RZR's ....... i am sure you will get it all dialed in.

DASA RACING WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING MOTORS AND SERVICE
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Yes, I will live and learn on the grease and over tightening, but the BELT is another issue.

I took out the small SHIM and even tried it once with the small in and the big out (to tight)... Yes, I had the belt going the right direction!!!!! I always put the belt on with the arrow pointing the right direction. So I am lost!!!!!! I have the Dalton Clutch kit Amber spring on the primary and the silver dalton on the secondary. I have 2 set screws in each fly weight with NO RIVETS!!!!! (I felt this was the best on the engagement that I was looking for).

Thanks
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
The Rocks are big. It is a lot like MOAB and maybe even harder and rougher in some areas.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 06:33 PM

It sounds to me like you need the clutch to hook-up (fully engage the belt) at a lower RPM a little less into the peak power. I crawl a lot of rocks and very steep stuff in low and I am running all three grub screws and the aluminum rivets. I think you have an 840 kit so you probably want 2 grub screws/aluminum rivets ro slightly more RPM but not sure how much, I have STD BORE. What size tires? What mods?

You are going to have to find the happy place where you get the best LAUNCH and also the best firm grip on belt before peak power. Personally I want my clutch to fully engage the belt, and I can sacrifice some drag racing ability due to I only drag in the rough and I can win with handling and suspension and stability alone, I don't need to pop tires spinning on rocks.

2011 Teryx Sport
2011 50" STD RZR LE

Last edited by Magellan; 05-15-2009 at 06:58 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan View Post
It sounds to me like you need the clutch to hook-up (fully engage the belt) at a lower RPM a little less into the peak power. I crawl a lot of rocks and very steep stuff in low and I am running all three grub screws and the aluminum rivets. I think you have an 840 kit so you probably want 2 grub screws/aluminum rivets ro slightly more RPM but not sure how much, I have STD BORE. What size tires? What mods?

You are going to have to find the happy place where you get the best LAUNCH and also the best firm grip on belt before peak power. Personally I want my clutch to fully engage the belt, and I can sacrifice some drag racing ability due to I only drag in the rough and I can win with handling and suspension and stability alone, I don't need to pop tires spinning on rocks.
I do not have a 840 kit!!!!1 Yes, I would like it to engage quick. I tried the 3 grub screws and didn't notice much diff from 2. I am not running any rivets. I have 11x26 big horns 2.0, PDS 4 seat cage, Warn Winch, Twisted Stitch seats, and Crow seat belts...oh and a exhaust tip.

Do I want to put the almond spring in the secondary?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement