Quieting the teryx. Results, thoughts - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quieting the teryx. Results, thoughts

As many know the teryx is quite loud in the cabin area under load, loud enough that if you are not wearing a helmet your ears will be ringing in a short time. When I first got mine I tried several things to attempt to quiet it down with mixed results. I was able to quiet the machine but the cost for all I did wasnt justifiable.
My parents purchased on a few weeks ago 08 leftover and this was also their biggest concern. So I spent all weekend soundproofing theirs with some feedback from other posts here and I can say it made a HUGE difference.

Here is what I did.
On mine I bought a bunch
HTML Code:
http://www.soundprooffoam.com/ultra-barrier-plus.html
and Damplifier - Acoustic Vibration Dampening Mat

I covered all the plastic in the engine bay and under the bed. I was not really happy with the results and now that i have done the standard bore kit it is louder than a stock machine without any sound proofing.

Now on theirs this is what I did. I should have taken photos but it is pretty easy to describe.
I coverd the the enging housing and in all the aread that were not HOT i peeled the reflective foil off from the material as it seamed that noise would bounce off from it. I then placed a section against the bed behind the intake to absorbe sound. I also covered the intake cover both inside and out with the same material less foil.

I took an innertube and cut it and mounted over the intake runners around to the back and cut out holes for the seat belts to go through. It is trilled so it covers everything except the engine (I didnt want it to touch and melt)

under the seats I placed the foam on the innder sides about 4 inches wide.

Under the intake on the back there is a opening where the catch plug is for the intake housing. You will see push pin holes not being used. I bolted another peice of innertube to this opening (Does not block any of the intake just the void underneath.

Results are dramatic. Now at WOT you can talk with your passender and the majority of the noise is from the exhaust wich is fine. Very happy with the Results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 04:06 PM

sounds like something i would want to try. If possible could you post pics? How much stuff did you buy to do the job?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

I will get some pics as soon as I can.
I bought about $150 worth of material and had enough to do 2 teryx's.

Just cover as much as possible think about like a hood over the entire engine and finding ways to absorb sound bouncing off the bed. I placed a strip of material against the head wall of the bed to absorb the sound.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 09:32 PM

Sold the quads for a Teryx so that I could carry on conversation w/passenger during riding. Damn this thing is loud trucking down the road. I would like something to tone things down a bit. Did you have any trouble w/the engine over heating after making your changes? Anyone else have any ideas on what one might due to damp'in the engine noise in the cab?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzjeeper View Post
as many know the teryx is quite loud in the cabin area under load, loud enough that if you are not wearing a helmet your ears will be ringing in a short time. When i first got mine i tried several things to attempt to quiet it down with mixed results. I was able to quiet the machine but the cost for all i did wasnt justifiable.
My parents purchased on a few weeks ago 08 leftover and this was also their biggest concern. So i spent all weekend soundproofing theirs with some feedback from other posts here and i can say it made a huge difference.

Here is what i did.
On mine i bought a bunch
HTML Code:
http://www.soundprooffoam.com/ultra-barrier-plus.html
and damplifier - acoustic vibration dampening mat

i covered all the plastic in the engine bay and under the bed. I was not really happy with the results and now that i have done the standard bore kit it is louder than a stock machine without any sound proofing.

Now on theirs this is what i did. I should have taken photos but it is pretty easy to describe.
I coverd the the enging housing and in all the aread that were not hot i peeled the reflective foil off from the material as it seamed that noise would bounce off from it. I then placed a section against the bed behind the intake to absorbe sound. I also covered the intake cover both inside and out with the same material less foil.

I took an innertube and cut it and mounted over the intake runners around to the back and cut out holes for the seat belts to go through. It is trilled so it covers everything except the engine (i didnt want it to touch and melt)

under the seats i placed the foam on the innder sides about 4 inches wide.

Under the intake on the back there is a opening where the catch plug is for the intake housing. You will see push pin holes not being used. I bolted another peice of innertube to this opening (does not block any of the intake just the void underneath.

Results are dramatic. Now at wot you can talk with your passender and the majority of the noise is from the exhaust wich is fine. Very happy with the results.
pictures, pictures, pictures...please,please,please.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzjeeper View Post
I should have taken photos but it is pretty easy to describe.
May be easy to describe, but not to understand.

'08 Teryx- Dyna CDI & Coils, HW Jet kit w/ TPI valves, Dalton clutch & OD plate, HID's, Muzzy's, FST 840, UNI, 4 Seat Cage, WER Shocks, 27" Bighorns & 29.5 Outlaws
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracer4 View Post
May be easy to describe, but not to understand.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement