Snow Plow advice ????? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question Snow Plow advice ?????

I know it's a little early to be thinking about snow removal . I just want to make sure I do it right the first time.
I was leaning towards Warn , but I'm still not finding anything on the Teryx mount being available yet. They promised early spring of this year. I read on other threads that Eagle had (mount bending) issues , so I'm going to count them out for that reason alone.( yes , I heard they corrected the problem) I don't need the hydraulic wing monster I read about from Moose. Would be too hard to store in the summer months. So I'm thinking of the Teflon coated 72in. 11 gauge from Cycle Country.
We get alot of freeze and thaw in late winter , so hitting ice in the driveways could be hard on any plow. I was hoping the guys up north could give some advice on what works and what to avoid.
Also , are dual or a bigger battery a good idea for extended Winch use. I'll be going with the synthetic cable since plowing will be the winches primary use.
Thanks in advance for any input.

08 Red Teryx-UNI air filter , Dragon Fire CDI , Warn Bumper with PIAA lights , DG skids , Kawi fender flares , Kawi aluminum roof , PRP full windshield & enclosed cab , 26in XTR mudlights on ITP SS 312's . Charge Card needs a breather !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 PM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have the Warn blade on my Brute Force. I had a small waranty issue and they replaced the blade after the snow season, so i had no down time, even though it made the issue worse.
I'm looking at the electric blade pivot this year. Expensive but saves me getting off my quad every 90 seconds to switch directions.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:09 PM

We sell the Eagle and they did fix the issue, there is no good reason to count them out. They took care of the guys with bent mounts at no cost.

As far as I know they have not had anymore issues.

Lots of products have bugs right of the gate.

Todd

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 PM

Vote for eagle. Great customer service and they stand behind their product. I was an early adopter with issues and they were prompt and proffessional. Everything you hope for in a Vendor. hunterworks was a big help as well staying on top of it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:50 AM

Myabe I am wrong but I thought that Warn or some of the snow plow manufacturers recommended that you don't use the synthetic rope for some reason? Someone can help here I am sure ...or will make time to go and search.

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I followed the threads on the Eagle issue . I realize Eagle & Todd got it corrected. I also realize Eagle is the most reasonably priced. I could buy the plow & winch with Eagle for just the price of a Warn plow .
I was afraid that it may be lighter in construction , hence the bending bracket issue. Now consider the weight & force of a Teryx verses an ATV , along with being in a hurry at times to get the plowing done. Just thought it could cause problems in the long run. The only bright side I could see , is Todd takes care of his customers well beyond what is normally expected , but that is great as long as I don't need the plow yesturday if it breaks. But , because you are the supplier Todd , I will still consider Eagle . Also Todd , do you think I would need one of your higher Amperage drycell batteries for the constent winch ussage ?
DougS, Could you be more specific with your Warn plow issue ? That's an expensive plow to have issues with .
I was also considering the electric angle attachment especially for the smaller driveways.( I'm not getting any younger). You could PM me if you don't want it viewed.

Thanks again guys.

08 Red Teryx-UNI air filter , Dragon Fire CDI , Warn Bumper with PIAA lights , DG skids , Kawi fender flares , Kawi aluminum roof , PRP full windshield & enclosed cab , 26in XTR mudlights on ITP SS 312's . Charge Card needs a breather !!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Myabe I am wrong but I thought that Warn or some of the snow plow manufacturers recommended that you don't use the synthetic rope for some reason? Someone can help here I am sure ...or will make time to go and search.
It was my understanding that the small area of cable used during plowing caused steel cable to curl and or fray ?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 12:28 PM

Well I have been searching to see where I may have seen or read that someone doesn't recommend the wire winch but no luck so maybe I am making it up!
Anyhow, I was looking on Warns site because that is where I thought I had seen it but they actually have a kit to replace your wire rope with a short synthetic, here is the link:

ATV Plow Lift Rope

Just incase anyone out there is looking for something like this, I think I would rather have the entire synthetic rope because I know I still ride in the winter and will get stuck, but I guess the idea is the shorter rope will have more power and probably easier on the winch motor!

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the comments, we try.

The synthetic rope does not like being ran over the fairlead back and forth so many times.

I would not recommend the battery we have for the winch, I really think the stock one would be fine.

The battery we have is very efficient and will charge very fast but does not have a large amount of reserve capacity.

Todd

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Well I have been searching to see where I may have seen or read that someone doesn't recommend the wire winch but no luck so maybe I am making it up!
Anyhow, I was looking on Warns site because that is where I thought I had seen it but they actually have a kit to replace your wire rope with a short synthetic, here is the link:

ATV Plow Lift Rope

Just incase anyone out there is looking for something like this, I think I would rather have the entire synthetic rope because I know I still ride in the winter and will get stuck, but I guess the idea is the shorter rope will have more power and probably easier on the winch motor!
Good piont Junior , I never thought about a short piece just for plow winching. The reasoning , is the first wraps on the winch drum is where your most pulling power is . Causing the winch to be more efficient.
Todd , I understand your fairlead piont , but I thought I read somewhere that when using synthetic , you are supposed to have a specific kind of , or NEW fairlead ? Thank you for the battery info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement