Trottle pedal position fix, FREE! - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Throttle pedal position fix, FREE!

Well I have had the new Teryx for a week now and of course, LET THE MODS BEGINE! LOL Anyway I see now what you guy's mean by the throttle sucks on these things and you alway's seem to have to hold your foot up to keep from giving it throttle. Well it is actually a simple fix. They use too light of a throttle return spring. Remove the return spring, clamp 1 end in a vise and grab the other end with a small pair of locking pliers and stretch it out enough to get a 1/32 cutting wheel at an angle and cut 6 coils out of the spring. Grab the first coil where you cut it off with your locking pliers again, and stretch it out enough to get a pair of needle nose pliers behind the first coil at the same location as the bend in the last coil that is locked in the vise. take a pen torch and heat it up where you have the needle nose and bend it outward to resemble the same bend that you cut off. Oncle you have the bend, grind the wire straight where you cut it at an angle so it isn't sharp.Let it cool down, shoot some grey or black cheap paint on the spring so it doesn't rust and re install. PRESTO!

You may want to start by removing less coils to suit the best feel for you. I started with 3 coils, better but not enough. Now I can lay the weight of my foot on the throttle pedal but it does not move and my foot doesn't bounce off the throttle in rough terain, I have to push it. If feels like my Tahoe now. Good luck if anyone wants to do this mod or let me know if you need more info. Later...

Last edited by Pa Pa Dragger; 07-29-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:38 AM

i like how you jumped in there and did some work yourself. i also feel the psring is to light, but i am opting to go with a stiffer spring constant and order a new spring.
great free mod though

2008 Teryx

Something to Tinker with

PM me if you are looking for a Service Manual.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Well, you can do that but considering it is just a piece of tempered wire that can be easily cut & bent, I say cut & bend the spring you have and put that $3.00 you will spend on that new spring toward some gas for it or something. That's just me though. I'm just trying to be resourceful so no one has to spend money on something they don't need.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 05:08 PM

I think I may try this on the weekend, really starting to annoy me with the soft pedal. Thanks for the leg work!

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 05:45 PM

i'm totally cool with saving money. just not a fan of heating springs after having to do some tests a few years back.
like i said, though, all for saving some cash.

actually it just dawned on me, i already have a spare spring, i may try it without the heat.

2008 Teryx

Something to Tinker with

PM me if you are looking for a Service Manual.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 07:37 PM

A little heat at the end of the spring shouldn't hurt it! I know what you mean but it is only a baby spring... probably don't need heat to bend it anyhow!
As for saving $3 - I only wish the $3 I am saving could buy some mods for this thing, already into it for as much as I paid for it nearly, probably shouldn't add it all up because don't want to know, wife definately does not need to know!!!

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I'm with you guy's. And yes a new spring would be perfect and to each his own. But I will tell you, you will not bend that spring without heat and if you try to you are going to distort the spring. It is tempered and is very hard. You don't have to get it red hot. I own an auto restoration shop and I couldn't count the number of vehicles I have worked on that someone cut their front coils with a torch for a drop from back in the sixties and those coils have not broke. Now I would be concerned with a spring with about 1,000 pounds or better and my family sitting on it and not my way of doing things but again, to each his own. Take care fella's...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement