Another Broken Steering Rack - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Another Broken Steering Rack

Hit a small ditch jump about 40 the other nite and landed on the left front wheel first, it bottomed hard, sparks flew and I knew something had to give. Turns out I snapped the steering rack!! I have elkas on too, Im thinking the rack broke first on impact then it bottomed, but not sure! It hit hard enough to cause the tire to hit the inner fender and nock the trim piece off around the E-brake release! Looks like the only damage so far! Anyways, what our my options, im out of warrenty, so I have to pay out of pocket! Ive heard of Gear One after market rack but know nothing about them. How much is stock vs. aftermarket and does anyone have any experience with the gear one unit??

08' Teryx LE, FST 840, Muzzys, VDI, Dalton, VFJ Roller, Thunderhawk Performance Race Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 5pt. Crow Harness, 12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks, GBC 8 ply Dirt Commanders, Pro Armor Skids, Team Green Plastic

08' Teryx, Maier Orange Plastic, Thuderhawk Performance 4 Seat Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 4 pt. Harness, 14" Chrome Doughas Diablos w/GBC Grim Reapers, VDI, Dalton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 10:00 PM

The gear-one rack should hold up much better than stock. Plus I am pretty sure that you can buy parts for it should it break. Kawie does not sell individual pieces which makes it very expensive to repair a small problem.
I have yet to break a steer rack so there has been no need to replace it....yet.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Just ordered the Gear One unit, I will give you guys a product evaulation once i get it installed!! It looks alot stronger and is made of billet vs. cast like the stocker. Retail on the stocker is $742, the gear one is $750. Plus it has replaceable heavy duty tie rods. If you break your stock tierod, you cannot just buy it from Kawie, you have to buy the whole rack!!

08' Teryx LE, FST 840, Muzzys, VDI, Dalton, VFJ Roller, Thunderhawk Performance Race Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 5pt. Crow Harness, 12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks, GBC 8 ply Dirt Commanders, Pro Armor Skids, Team Green Plastic

08' Teryx, Maier Orange Plastic, Thuderhawk Performance 4 Seat Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 4 pt. Harness, 14" Chrome Doughas Diablos w/GBC Grim Reapers, VDI, Dalton

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Banned

When are you going to learn how to drive!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:38 PM

Check your frame where your lower control arm bolts to the frame at the rear, I hit a tree in the winter and didn't think much of it beside the rim that I broke. A few weeks ago I was messing around with the Teryx and just noticed that my frame is bent there inwards a little! Don't know if this could have happened to yours but double check to see if it has bent??? Good luck with rebuilding.

27" XTR's on ITP SS212 Chrome 14's
Dynatek N.P.
FST Standard Bore
Dalton Clutch Kit w/O.Drive
Muzzy's - ceramic coated
SDR Deluxe Cage w/roof
SDR Front Bumper w/winch
Twisted Stitch Vortex Front Heated Seats
Twisted Stitch Vortex Rear Heated Bench
Beautiful Lowered Seat Bases by SDR - Thanks!
Crow 5-point harnesses (x5)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Check your frame where your lower control arm bolts to the frame at the rear, I hit a tree in the winter and didn't think much of it beside the rim that I broke. A few weeks ago I was messing around with the Teryx and just noticed that my frame is bent there inwards a little! Don't know if this could have happened to yours but double check to see if it has bent??? Good luck with rebuilding.
Yep, I washed it up and removed the wheels last nite and sure enough the frame is pushed in slightly where the rear a-arm mount is. I dont think its enough to cause problems but i will point it out to the insurance adjuster. There is a cross member there, so i dont think it can move much more.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:07 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Did you have the Thunderhawk chassis brace in front and back Xchamp? I see you have his cage.
I was thinking of getting those to stiffen things up a bit and I know Thunderhawk makes good products.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Did you have the Thunderhawk chassis brace in front and back Xchamp? I see you have his cage.
I was thinking of getting those to stiffen things up a bit and I know Thunderhawk makes good products.
Yes I have the thunderhawk front and rear bracing, very nice products. I think the front may have save the a-arm from ripping out of the mounts, but im starting to question the kawaski quality at this point. I didnt even hit anything, just landed on the left front wheel, I probably wasnt more than a foot in the air!!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Maybe they are like can ams and need some tubing inside the tubing or gussets if you run them hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement