NOOB with some ? re should I or not - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Question NOOB with some ? re should I or not

Hey gang, new here, long time on Can-am & Cat forums ( yea I know bad words for over here ),, anyway,, I am thinking of getting a 2008 Teryx,, I think I can get a reasonable deal on a left over brand new one,,
I have done a quick search and have seen the belt deflection issues and the oil in the breather box,, but is there anything else that we should know re one.

We would plan on just bringing home and doing the breather mod and full skids and some lights,, but what else to make her a reliable fun ride for us ?

Wife and I mostly do trail riding, some mud, but would sooner go around it then through it now. There will be rocks and inclines and off cambers usual Canadian Shield type of stuff.

Thanks appreciate any input on it

Wolf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 01:42 PM

Get yourself a cdi box right away, nice improvement and raises the speed limit from about 49 to 56-58. Dalton Clutch kit or VForce John machined clutch would be my next mod. These two mods will make alot more fun to drive.

08' Teryx LE, FST 840, Muzzys, VDI, Dalton, VFJ Roller, Thunderhawk Performance Race Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 5pt. Crow Harness, 12" ITP Type 7 Beadlocks, GBC 8 ply Dirt Commanders, Pro Armor Skids, Team Green Plastic

08' Teryx, Maier Orange Plastic, Thuderhawk Performance 4 Seat Cage, Bumpers, Door Bars and Bracing, Beard TSX Seats, 4 pt. Harness, 14" Chrome Doughas Diablos w/GBC Grim Reapers, VDI, Dalton
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response xchamp,, good info

No one else has any advice for a prospective owner,, over 40 views

Still very undecided,, I have yet to inspect the Teryx but will be this weekend, so any and all input would help out, I have heard that the 2008 does not come with a fuel gauge ??? and belt access is a PITA,,???

Wolf

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:10 AM

The 09 has many improvements over the 08. Heat may be no problem for you in Canada but in other places it seems to be an issue. The 09 has lots of sheilding that the 08 does not have. Also the cvt belt exhaust on the 09 has been vented up higher so that water does not get in as easy. The 09 is also fuel injected and the new MSD ignition will be out this month that gets rid of the speed limiter and rev limiter which allows the car to hit 67mph on speedometer with the muzzy pipe. I have heard that so many people just love the fuel injection. As a matter of fact my freind from Texas just took a trip to Utah and the first thing he said when he got back was that fuel injection is the way to go.

Last edited by codyo; 09-24-2009 at 08:26 AM. Reason: forgot to say 67mph with muzzy pipe added
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:00 AM

I am a fellow Canadian!! I can give you a little perspective!! I just bought an 09 a little over a month ago (I think) Even when we were running in the sand up north of here and the ambient temps were around +33 I found no heat whatsoever off the console. Around the shifters there was a little heat blowing out the open spots but probaly enough to keep your hands warmer when the temp start dropping.

As for off camber stuff I would look into some wheel spacers or offset rims to help out a bit. I have stock trim (for now) and it seems wonky at first like your about to tip but after riding it for awhile and getting the feel of the machine it isn't too bad. Once you know the limits you will go there, trust me LOL.

I know even with my stock tires I can climb like a mofo in 4 lo, and it goes even farther once you throw the diff lock on!! I have to say that everytime I go out I get a little more impressed, at first I was disapointed. It was a big step down from my racing quads for handling lol, and a big step up from my sportsman for climbing and comfort.

...........yes the belt seems to be a pain in the a$$ to get to at first but it actually isn't that bad. The owners manual tells you that when you get the belt wet that you have to drain the water out of an access panel up top with a syringe WTH!!! Who carries one of those with them??? Well I do now, not a biggie, get them at any pharmacy or vet. When I got my belt wet I didn't have one and I just left it in neutral and pulsed the throttle for a bit and it dried out, it just halted our trip for 10 minutes or so which really would have sucked if the bugs had been worse.

I bought this so my GF and I could get out together and have a nice easy, enjoyable ride, which we do but most of the time I tend to push the limits and get her heart pounding lol. It is still a rush and alot of fun. With all this wrapped up in a nice little package you can still throw a tent and supplies in the box and head out for the weekend. In Ontario I bet there are some nice out of the way lakes to get to, make yourself a rack and throw a canoe up top and get out fishin!!

OH!!! almost forgot to mention the suspension, make sure you get the sport model with the piggy back shocks up front. These chew up the bumps man, very smooth ride. Seems like the faster you go the smoother they are. Any more ????'s feel free to PM me

In closing, if you do buy a Teryx, invest in a little tool kit from canadian tire or something. The teryx doesn't come with one
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the very informative responses,, sound's more to me like we should pass on the 08 ( Carb ) and go for a 09 sport model also EFI, I have to admit on our Can-am's ( 5 ) two are carb and the other 3 are EFI, the EFI sure does make a huge difference in all weather starting and fuel mileage,,,I do not think I will be able to get as good a deal on an 09 though

Thanks again

Wolf
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:18 AM

The EFI is nice, not sure how extreme your elevation changes are down there but I know for me I can vary pretty drastically with in a 5 hour radius.

No prob, glad I could shed some light on the situation for you.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 AM

Xchamp pretty well said it right, a cdi will make a huge difference and as far as belt deflection and oil in the air box that seems to go from machine to machine, personally I haven't had any oil in the airbox nor has a friend of mine and we run them hard, but there is another guy we know that has one and he does have a problem with oil in the box, go figure.
As far as belt deflection, it seems some people have had a problem right away, others have'nt touched theirs, I have a Prairie 700 and have the clutch modded out on it and have done the spring and different weights thing, but on the Teryx I believe if you set the belt deflection early on you will have better life from your stock belt. Just doing these things and riding it for awhile you will see where you would like to go with it later.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:05 PM
CommanderTalk.com

From someone who changes altitudes frequently, I would highly suggest the fuel injection. Jetting is a PITA in my opinion. Now if you are someone who is going to stick with one elevation, save some coin and get the '08 use the extra money to get a FST motor kit and you will be on your way!! I have the 840 and at my main elevation the thing rocks!!!!

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement