Teryx Spare tire Options... - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Teryx Spare tire Options...

So, I took the newly mod'ed Teryx out to one of the local riding spots, and had an amazing time! This thing is just insane in its ability to climb and maneuver. The place we went to (Reiter Pit : Washington) is a collection of logging / mining roads that are mostly rock. Next week I will be more prepared with a trail map and GPS!!

That said, it is apparent to me that given the size of the rocks that I was going over, the potential to blow a tire, or pop a bead is pretty good. I have seen the thread on the onboard CO2 tanks. If you are not using a tank, what are you using? What are the spare tire options that are available? It would be nice to have something that you could mount the tire and jack to, and put in the bed with a temporary connection. I dont plan on going with a 4 seater cage.

Scott...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Thats a good point, I have seen some people ratchet strap a spair in their bed, or the other option could be to have an extension welded (similar to a two seat rage cage) and have a tire rack actually built into that. There are likely endless possibilities and I have seen the two I mentioned actually done.

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:53 PM

I've been looking for a solution to the spare tire problem. I was told by an independent shop that the spare should be a FRONT wheel because the rear wheel won't fit in the front - I guess the wheel well is too small.

I plan to strap it in the bed somehow, perhaps vertically to save room in the bed for other things.

Now, what about a jack???

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Eyed Jack View Post
Now, what about a jack???

Probably go to a wrecking yard and find one of the crank up jacks of you liking. Maybe fab up something to the top of the jack so it can be secured against and A-arm cross tube or spindle or something. Could be stored under the drivers seat along with a lug wrench.

Of course if ya wanted to be hard core you could just get a Hi-Lift jack and bolt it to the roll bar
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:54 AM

I got one of those CO2 inflater tire plug kits for now.

I will get a tire when I see a good deal on one.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Build Sponsor

our Two Seat cage Has an option for either a cooler rack, or spare tire, it is a prerunner style cage.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:17 AM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Buy a portable air compressor that plugs in a accessory power plug, some tire plugs, can of fix a flat and a rachet strap. All fit into a little bag. If a bead pops off wrap the strap around the tire (rolling area) and tighten. Over fill with air until the bead pops in and then de preasurize to the correct amount of air. Sometimes you need a lot of air in it to pop the bead. Done it more than my share out on the trail and it works good. You need to take the weight off the tire to pop it back on the bead.

Here is a link to a few portable air compressors.
Canadian Tire

They often go on sale for less than $20 so they are sort of disposable.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 07:25 PM

I see the major tire problems as (1) sidewall rip by a sharp rock (seen lots of them in my (AOR), and (2) bead pop (I'm using reduced pressure to get better sand performance) while climbing narrow, irregular rocky areas.

The recommendation for a 12VDC compressor is a good one, as is the ratchet strap for reinflating a bead-popped tire. However, I think I still need a spare to cover the sidewall rip.

How about the jack? Propping up the rear would be easy if the jack could fit in the hitch receiver! Jacking the front is a little more problemmatic.

Does anyone offer a good jack and tire iron?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 PM

Is there anyone who wants to split a set of four new take-off wheels for a Teryx to get a new spare front and rear wheel? We would split the total cost with shipping, which would be about $165 for each of us for one front and one rear wheel (rim and tire, new take offs) with shipping.

If so, please e-mail me at [email protected] - thanks.

Ron
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Eyed Jack View Post
I see the major tire problems as (1) sidewall rip by a sharp rock (seen lots of them in my (AOR), and (2) bead pop (I'm using reduced pressure to get better sand performance) while climbing narrow, irregular rocky areas.

The recommendation for a 12VDC compressor is a good one, as is the ratchet strap for reinflating a bead-popped tire. However, I think I still need a spare to cover the sidewall rip.

How about the jack? Propping up the rear would be easy if the jack could fit in the hitch receiver! Jacking the front is a little more problemmatic.

Does anyone offer a good jack and tire iron?
Add a plug kit to the other items and you should be able to fix most sidewall tears............most of the people I jeep with no longer carry spare tires and use the above methods (CO2, strap, plug kit, etc.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement