More Legroom?? Ideas?? Let's Brainstorm!! - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

More Legroom?? Ideas?? Let's Brainstorm!!

OK fellas, this is going to be fun! Let's brainstorm some ideas for the BIG fellas out there (including myself). I'm 6'7" 320lbs with LONG legs. My left knee is pretty much braced up against the dash under the light switch. I barely fit in this thing, but I had to get one because they are so bad a$$!

I have had a few thoughts: Please throw out some ideas if you have any.

1. The Cooler/More Complex plan: Major surgery - Strip the Beast down to the chassis and extend the chassis 4-6" in the footwell area (the flat floor is what I'm thing here). It would involve extending some linkages, lines, the front driveshaft, the roll cage, make a new floor, and a few other details. Overall, if you have the fabrication skills, I don't think it's really that complicated - just a lot of work, but hey, I might have the 1st Extended Chassis Teryx in the world! (as far as I know)

2. The Simpler plan: Try to move the seat back - This would involve redesigning the roll cage behind the seat, relocating the seat belt tensioner, remounting the seat. This would only get you an extra 3 inches or so, unless you cut into the bed and go back further, rendering the dump bed useless (not really that important to me).

3. The Not Pretty Plan: Cut into the dash - Not something I have really explored, but could work. Completely dismantle the dash and make more knee room for the long legged people. This is less desirable to me, because I still have an awkward driving position and it's uncomfortable to be in that very upright position.

Bring on the Brainstorming!!!

- Ryan

'09 Teryx - BH 2.0's, ITP SS 212, Fox 2.0's, MuzzyPRO's, MSD, Warn XT40, SDR Bumpers, Power Steering
'08 Brute Force - BH's, ITP Sport Locks, K&N, Warn XT30, HMF Pipe and Optimizer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:00 AM

I would say that extending the frame from the seat back would be easier than the floor. You wouldn't really notice much difference anywhere other than the spacing between the box sides and the roll cage. This would be really easy to do, even for the DIY'R.

If you extend the floor area you are looking at gaps in the plastic you will have to address, drive shafts, hoses etc. and then your still going to have to add to the roll cage up top to match the floor extension. Either way you will be looking at cage work, I would stick with the behind the seat idea, less work in the long run and I think the end product would be superior.

.....................or you could just lob of the legs 8" or so
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tr0d18 View Post
.....................or you could just lob of the legs 8" or so
Then I would have to shorten all my pants and that would be a pain in the arse!!

Quote:
I would say that extending the frame from the seat back would be easier than the floor. You wouldn't really notice much difference anywhere other than the spacing between the box sides and the roll cage. This would be really easy to do, even for the DIY'R.

If you extend the floor area you are looking at gaps in the plastic you will have to address, drive shafts, hoses etc. and then your still going to have to add to the roll cage up top to match the floor extension. Either way you will be looking at cage work, I would stick with the behind the seat idea, less work in the long run and I think the end product would be superior.
So I think you are saying to extend the chassis in the area right before the bed/behind the seat, and then move the seat back further on the current block it sits on...?? Is that right?

Well, that's another possibility... Anyone out there dismantled this area of their machine - what other mechanical issues would there be? I suppose you would still have to lengthen the rear driveshaft/rear brake linkages.

IMHO, I think it would still be easier to extend the chassis under the floor/footboard - less mechanical issues. I don't think making a floor would be too difficult. And you could keep the rear mounts for the roll cage intact and in the proper relationship to your body. If you are sitting further back in the cage, I would think that your shoulders would be banging against it.

This is great though, Thanks! More Ideas!!

'09 Teryx - BH 2.0's, ITP SS 212, Fox 2.0's, MuzzyPRO's, MSD, Warn XT40, SDR Bumpers, Power Steering

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:41 AM

Yes this is the location I was describing. You would only have to deal with the mechanical end of things if you were looking to extend the wheel base. If you are only wanting more leg room you would only be extending the top section of the chassi that the box sit's on. You would have to extend the top rails of the chassi and relocate the bed latch etc but other than that it should be a walk in the park!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes this is the location I was describing. You would only have to deal with the mechanical end of things if you were looking to extend the wheel base. If you are only wanting more leg room you would only be extending the top section of the chassi that the box sit's on. You would have to extend the top rails of the chassi and relocate the bed latch etc but other than that it should be a walk in the park!!
Oh, OK, I see what you mean. Yeah, that would be pretty easy.

The only potential issues are the part of the chassis right behind the seat, it would have to be modified to dip down, so the seat can be moved back and remain at the same height. I can't really go higher with the seat, because my head will be pretty close to the top of the cage with a helmet on. And I guess there would be a gap between the bed and the rest of the body work (not a big deal).

Good Idea, Thanks!

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Any of you custom race buggy builders have any thoughts on this?

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 05:03 PM

I'm in the market for a side by side and want some leg room myself. I haven't sat in to many yet be this is a concern. It seems the teryx has good leg room but maybe not.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:45 PM
TeryxHQ.com Staff Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

2. Get a proper cage that will allow you to push the seats back and stretch back into the bed/box area.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 07:43 AM

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 08:41 AM

The Polaris Ranger would have more leg room.

If the seats were taller would that give you more legroom? What ever mods you choose the roll cage has to be modified, so the cheapest and easiest would be a higher seat mount.

Todd H.
'67 Hispanic Wife
'02 Jeep Liberty
'09 Teryx Sport

Sponsored Links
Advertisement