Crank bearing wrong from Kawasaki - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Crank bearing wrong from Kawasaki

We are building a 820 kit for a guy in Maine cause his engine spun a bearing on the crank.

We got the engine in five boxes today and one look at it by Michael he knew what the problem was and it was not dirt getting by the air filter like Kawasaki said.

Before the guy shipped his engine he said he needed a new case cause his as some scarring on the inside of the case where the crank goes thru on the stator side.

The crank bearing retainer clips were not flat they were up at angle, the crank bearing was not all the way down in the case. We decided this would definitely cause the crank to get pushed over and rub on the case.

The crank had been pressed out by the dealership and at first we thought maybe when they pressed the crank out it tried to push the bearing out and bent the retainers. We also thought maybe the bearing pocket was not machined enough for the bearing to go all the way in.

So we put the case in the press and tried to press the bearing back in and it went down like it was supposed to. We then said well it still could have been pushed out when they pushed the crank out. I told Michael, if the screws are loose on the retainers now then they didn't push the bearing all the way in at Kawasaki and tightened the retainers against the bearing as is.

Guess what? The screws tightened on up with the bearing all the way in. Had they not tightened then that would mean the retainers were bent but they were not.

Ok, so what really caused his crank failure was the fact that his crank was pushed over to one side and the rods had a side load on them causing extra pressure on one side of the bearing. The bottom of the rods were blue from the heat too.

So after he got Kawasaki support back on the phone they told him that they it was the air filter and there was nothing wrong with the crank and actually hung on him.

I like the Teryx but Kawasaki themselves suck!!

The dealer that took this engine apart should have seen it too and they could have called Kawi and told them of there findings but they missed it. They tried to put the crank back in before they shipped it to me and mashed the speed sensor flat on their press and still didn't get the crank in.

Point is all dealers are not created equal and just cause they tell you one thing does not mean it is correct. This time he is going to have to spend a good bit of money to fix something Kawi screwed up at factory.

At least it will be right when it leaves here!!

Todd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 PM

what model is it and how many miles are on it?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 PM

Are you refering to the big ball bearing? If you press it out then like 80% of the time the ball bearing comes out with the crank. When it does this it tulips the phillips head screws and will pull them out or some times they'll hold and the bearing will release the crank. You know that on the prairie engines that they didn't even have retainers? Was just the bearing pressed into the case...

The rods are blue because they rod bearings are spun... Do you know what kind of friction and heat that creates?

Also what damage to the cases are you refering to?? Picture would be great.

If the the crank isn't seated in that bearing completely or the bearing isn't seated completely the motor will be locked up and will not turn. The clearance in there is very tight and no room for error... There have actually been cases when trying to pop off the primary clutch with a puller that the hold of the clutch to the crank is so strong that it will actually slide the crank over and lock the motor up and then you have to go to the other side of the motor and take a hammer and beat the 19mm bolt under the pull rope cover. You shouldn't be so quick to blame kawasaki.

If you still don't believe me then lets just pretend that the motor actually ran with the crank slid over there still wouldn't be side load on the rods because the rods have clearance side to side on the wrist pin between the piston... Therefore all it would do is slide over and run.

Last edited by Shan; 12-09-2009 at 07:38 PM.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I don't know why anyone wastes time asking anyone but Shan questions, he has all the answers especially about what he has not seen.

If the crank was not pushed over while it was running then the opposing case would not be scared up nor would the crank be. If they did it at the dealer then the case would not be scared from the crank rubbing it.

The bearing spun for a reason and some kind of side load was going on. Also the bearing that didn't spin the rod is blue too so some kind of binding was going on to create extra heat. The rod bearing that didn't spin shows markings to show more wear on one side than other too.

The screws would not have been loose after we pressed the bearing back in either, they can't come loose from the dealer pushing it besides it has lock tite on it too.

There is absolutely no doubt by anyone who has seen this what happened.

Also I am pretty sure I can blame Kawasaki for just hanging up on the guy.

You should also give my mechanic who has built hundreds of these some credit!!

You should not be so quick to not blame Kawasaki!!

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey View Post
what model is it and how many miles are on it?
09 model and very low miles, not sure of the number.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 PM

todd....how many miles are on it?do you know?
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:31 PM

thats a shame that kaw wont back their product..im glad that i do have a good dealer that will help me anyway possible when i have problems.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:32 PM

i was wondering on the lieage to see how long it couldve ran before locking up.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Are you refering to the big ball bearing? If you press it out then like 80% of the time the ball bearing comes out with the crank. When it does this it tulips the phillips head screws and will pull them out or some times they'll hold and the bearing will release the crank. You know that on the prairie engines that they didn't even have retainers? Was just the bearing pressed into the case...

The rods are blue because they rod bearings are spun... Do you know what kind of friction and heat that creates?

Also what damage to the cases are you refering to?? Picture would be great.

If the the crank isn't seated in that bearing completely or the bearing isn't seated completely the motor will be locked up and will not turn. The clearance in there is very tight and no room for error... There have actually been cases when trying to pop off the primary clutch with a puller that the hold of the clutch to the crank is so strong that it will actually slide the crank over and lock the motor up and then you have to go to the other side of the motor and take a hammer and beat the 19mm bolt under the pull rope cover. You shouldn't be so quick to blame kawasaki.

If you still don't believe me then lets just pretend that the motor actually ran with the crank slid over there still wouldn't be side load on the rods because the rods have clearance side to side on the wrist pin between the piston... Therefore all it would do is slide over and run.

Shan 100% right. Also if the crank could slide over even .005 the clutch hits the tin plate behind the clutch. I have seen guy torque their clutch on so tight that the clutch fins rub on the tin behind the clutch.

Mr. Hunter is looking like he doesn't know anything the more he talks
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
I don't know why anyone wastes time asking anyone but Shan questions, he has all the answers especially about what he has not seen.

If the crank was not pushed over while it was running then the opposing case would not be scared up nor would the crank be. If they did it at the dealer then the case would not be scared from the crank rubbing it.

The bearing spun for a reason and some kind of side load was going on. Also the bearing that didn't spin the rod is blue too so some kind of binding was going on to create extra heat. The rod bearing that didn't spin shows markings to show more wear on one side than other too.

The screws would not have been loose after we pressed the bearing back in either, they can't come loose from the dealer pushing it besides it has lock tite on it too.

There is absolutely no doubt by anyone who has seen this what happened.

Also I am pretty sure I can blame Kawasaki for just hanging up on the guy.

You should also give my mechanic who has built hundreds of these some credit!!

You should not be so quick to not blame Kawasaki!!

I don't know why i bother with someone who has already made up his mind on something... You're so stubborn and one sighted that you'll never believe anything someone else has to say. The screws are loose because the heads of the screw were tuliped out just a little bit but besides that the screws and retainer plates don't even have to be in there to hold the bearing in... They never even used those on the prairie motors! They are not needed!

If you press the crank out it will push the bearing out... Almost every time. You already stated how the dealership pressed it out. BINGO.

If the cases are put together and that bearing isn't all the way seated the crank will not turn in the case... Plain and simple.

Why did they say the engine cases had to be replaced? Scarring on the inside of the case wouldn't be a good reason to replace them unless they were about to fall a part unless the case bearing spun in the case and walked out of the case towards the jackshaft chain...

I've done way more of these motors than your mechanic has ever thought about doing and a lot more performance motors on top of it. Hell I'm almost willing to bet that Mickey is probably the only person here who has done more on this forum.

Last edited by Shan; 12-10-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement