rough ride on trex? - Kawasaki Teryx Forums: Kawasaki UTV Teryx Forum
Kawasaki Teryx General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Kawasaki Teryx.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

rough ride on trex?

i just bought a new teryx and recently sold my arctic cat prowler and the ride is so stiff it makes my back hurt...i checked the air pressure and the shock settings but still not to my liking.would a set of aftermarket shocks help soften up the ride some?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Hi there, first off welcome to the site, great to have you with us!

I must admit I have never heard of anyone saying the site was too stiff on their Teryx (not to say that it could not be)

Unfortunately, the dampening is not adjustable, however, you could take some preload out of the springs to soften things up.

To answer your question though, you could potentially pick up some aftermarket shocks that are more adjustable and see if that helps.

What type of riding to you normally do?

AllTerrainJournal.com --> www.AllTerrainJournal.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

normal trail riding at a slow pace actually....the prowler was like a cadillac and the teryx is more compared to a f350 dually in my opinion.i like everything about the teryx except for the ride.when i get this resolved...it will be the total package...for me anyways.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:10 PM

I have to say I love the ride of my teryx. With that said I have beadlock wheels and ony run about 6 lbs of air in the tires. I also have a nice set of aftermarket suspension seats that might help. Last weekend we put aobut 45 milea a day on them and I thought it rode much better than my rhino. See how your stock shocks are set up might need to make some changes.

Too much is neverenough
2003 duramax dually for towing
2004 Gearbox toyhauler 30fs
2006 limited yfz 450 mine
2003 Pred 500 wifes
1986 4trax 250R sons
1997 300ex daughter
2006 250ex daughter
2008 Teryx ours
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:20 PM

Mine feels rough at slow speeds. But I think it is due to the gas pedal being in a wierd spot. When I hit bumps at low speed, my foot cannot stay stable enough to keep the pedal pressed the same, so it makes the machine lurch.

When I go across rough terain, I just keep it to the floor and it rides as smooth as butter. I will see if this changes once my pedal extension comes in. At least then, I should be able to rest my foot agains the hump to maybe stabilize a little better.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:10 PM

I think the way these shocks are setup it rides better at higher speeds...When cutting across a feild going slow is very ruff and going fast is unbeleivablly smooth...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepennington View Post
Mine feels rough at slow speeds. But I think it is due to the gas pedal being in a wierd spot. When I hit bumps at low speed, my foot cannot stay stable enough to keep the pedal pressed the same, so it makes the machine lurch.

When I go across rough terain, I just keep it to the floor and it rides as smooth as butter. I will see if this changes once my pedal extension comes in. At least then, I should be able to rest my foot agains the hump to maybe stabilize a little better.
i took a porch swing I bolt, some fairly big washer and 3 nuts 1 lock washer and extended my gas pedal all the way over to the right. I also layed a flat piece of medal on top of this and wrapped it all in black electrical tape and it sure worked for me. I had the same problem, and with my big clod hoppers i had to do something.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 07:34 AM

I think the ride is VERY rough. That is my biggest complaint, no way in hell can you ride this like an atv. Even a solid axle quad is more comfortable. (Unless parked

I have the preload as "unloaded" as they will go and also run 4.5 lbs and 6 lbs of air in the tires and its still jarring in rough terrain. We go out every weekend with a large crew and everyone who has reidden has made the same comments, awesome, just wish it rode smoother. SO I agree, it is very unrefined in this catagory. I have been looking at shocks but can not find any reviews yet so expensive...

Comparitivley speaking at low speeds the Rhinos we go with ride better. Much better dampening.

All of you that have suspension seats, are you happy? Did it make a diference? how much difference?

I guess I kept thinking this was going to ride as smooth as an atv, or even smoother. BOY was I wrong

My poor parents rode for about 10 minutes and took their solid axle quads back and said, well maybe in a few years they will get the suspension dialed in... Way too rough to keep up.

An yeah the faster you go it does smooth out until you get into something unexpected. Then you are in for a licking! I have so many bruises on my chest from the seat belt last weekend

Oh well it is what it is..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:38 PM

Does anybody know if the Rhino shocks are interchangeable with the Teryx?????
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:46 PM

Not sure about the shocks but I doubt it. As far as suspension seats I love my prp seats. I did not spend much time in it before I added the seats so I don't know how much of a differance they made. I can tell you that I think the ride is better than my rhino was but that is just my opinion. Shocks would be nice but I think I will hold out until the boss gives me the ok for long travel.

Too much is neverenough
2003 duramax dually for towing
2004 Gearbox toyhauler 30fs
2006 limited yfz 450 mine
2003 Pred 500 wifes
1986 4trax 250R sons
1997 300ex daughter
2006 250ex daughter
2008 Teryx ours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement